General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
3x ADBLOCK [split from Goanna thread]
Posted by: siria
Date: December 25, 2017 09:23PM

SPLIT from this Goanna thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,144138#msg-144138

Some Adblock replies are still over there, too much mixed between Adblock and Goanna stuff. Hope you don't mind to simply copy them over here too:

Date: December 24, 2017 11:51PM

roytam1
New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rthost.ml/kmeleon/KM-Goanna-20171223.7z
Changelog:
(...)

To my surprise, AdblockPLUS is now included out-of-box too?
Wow... I know everyone requests it, am just looking through the eyes of clueless new KM users, and this makes now whopping 3 adblock tools included in KM grinning smiley Can just see them thinking we're completely crazy, especially since the configuration for each one is shattered all over the (hidden) prefs or menus - but then again, no one will even be aware, instead completely confused when reading or discussing adblock questions in the forum:

1) Old css-adblock:
a) menu Tools > Privacy > Block Ads on/off (no mention which of 3)
b) F2 > Page Display > Content Filters (this edits:
config file: /profile/chrome/adblock.css (dating from 2006, lots false pos.)
Default: off
pref: kmeleon.adblocking=false

2) basic-adblock (Dorian):
F2 > KM plugins > adblock on/off (no mention which of 3)
no menu, no buttons, nothing to be found in GUI
config file: ??
Origin: kplugins > adblock.dll
Default: popup-choice at profile creation
pref: kmeleon.plugins.adblock.load=false

3) AdblockPlus:
no menu, no buttons, nothing to be found in GUI
Only chance: user has been told to manually type into urlbar "about:addons"
(and there of course no hint there are 2 more adblock tools)
Origin: xpi-addon in extensions folder
config files: /profile/adblockplus (copied from default profile)
Default: enabled without asking
pref: extensions.adblockplus.enabled=false

Lots of GUI stuff to fix yet...

PS:
At FIRST RUN number-2 asks: "New plugin found: adblock. Enable"?
When I click yes, two tabs in kmpref-sheets (at GUI+JS) are broken immediately.
And remain broken until some day I disable it again in F2-kmplugins
(or clear startupCache, but users need experience to know this, and also very unusual at first run already)
No one else??

PS2: a bug tracker would be very handy.
The one in the left bar here stops already at "76b4" sad smiley

Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 25, 2017 01:09AM

Oops, ABP is not intended to be included in the release 7z.

for bug/issue tracker, we can use the github issue page:
https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/issues

Posted by: callahan
Date: December 25, 2017 10:41AM

I do not want to use AdblockPlus ... or any Adblock. I don't know enough about it and if it really works or blocks things it shouldn't.

Thanks siria for all the 'clues' and 'hints' of where to look. I have looked around and I don't seem to have it installed anywhere. It probably would be nice to be able to turn it 'off' and 'on' as needed.

I am using the latest KM76 update by roytam1 and when I go to 'about:addons' I see no mention of it. I am not sure but I must have said 'no' when that popup box first appeared.

AdblockPlus may be a good thing to have installed but as I said earlier, I don't know enough about it and if it really works.

Maybe others here can enlighten me and tell me for sure if it does work.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 25, 2017 10:45AM

Surely, it works! Even with 'light' subscription.

Date: December 25, 2017 11:49AM

Thanks rodocop for the information. I am not sure what you mean when you say "light subscription".
Is that what is installed in KM 76Pro or KM 76 ?
I probably will use it then.

Date: December 25, 2017 12:07PM

'Light subscription' is a small set of blocking rules (mostly regexp'ed) included in the ABP package for KM, prepared by me (package, not the ruleset).
Yes, it's already preinstalled in Pro-build.

Date: 12/25/2017 10:23PM

ADBLOCKERS:
callahan
I have looked around and I don't seem to have it installed anywhere. It probably would be nice to be able to turn it 'off' and 'on' as needed.

I am using the latest KM76 update by roytam1 and when I go to 'about:addons' I see no mention of it. I am not sure but I must have said 'no' when that popup box first appeared.

Now tested again with a brandnew profile, and ABP is definitely there and also enabled out-of-box.
You must see it on about:addons, or something is strange.
Did you notice on the left side there are 3 sub-page links? Click on "Extensions", if not already active.
On this page you can also enable/disable it, but switches will work only after a new browser start.

The popup-box at first run has nothing to do with ABP, it's for adblocker-2, Dorians basic adblock.dll kplugin.
This one you can also switch on/off between sessions only, on F2>KM-Plugins

To get a quick overview about all sorts of adblocker, use the universal trick:
Open "about:config" page, don't be afraid of dragons they don't bite people who only view and don't edit ;-) On top there is a filter or "Search" field, type into this one:
.adblock
A big list will appear...

Edit: or not, if ABP was NOT contained in your 7z package.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 01:17PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223) / 3x ADBLOCK
Date: December 25, 2017 11:15PM

OK ... just checked again. I have nothing in the Extensions tab or window.

It says this: Extensions / You don't have any add-ons of this type installed

I have Plug-ins ... Adobe Flash, Shockwave and a few others.

When I use 'about:config' and run Search, I only get three items.

kmeleon.adblocking;false

kmeleon.plugins.adblock.load;true

urlclassifier.downloadBlockTable;

Date: December 25, 2017 11:22PM

siria,

there is no ABP in official or Goanna builds! You have the base from Pro, I suppose - with default profile settings for ABP.

Date: December 25, 2017 11:47PM

rodocop
siria,
there is no ABP in official or Goanna builds! You have the base from Pro, I suppose - with default profile settings for ABP.

No can't be, I always unzip new builds into their own, new test folders, never overwrite. This also wouldn't make sense, since I use 7X exclusively for a bit looking-around and macro testing, only offline. And of course portable. And have now doublechecked: the same build contains the new "platform.engine=Goanna" pref, so it must definitely have been inside the goanna-7z
But with callahans check and your confirm, and after roytams declaration that he didn't plan to include ABP, there can only be one explanation now:
he includes ABP for his own private testing, and removes it again before packaging it to 7z, but occasionally forgets this - so I probably just downloaded it a bit earlier as you smiling smiley

Date: December 26, 2017 12:09AM

callahan
When I use 'about:config' and run Search, I only get three items.
kmeleon.adblocking;false

Thanks for doublechecking smiling smiley
The red line now means that you clicked on "Yes" at the first run popup, provided you got that popup at all (looks like we have different 7z packages, haven't tested yet the newest one)

But can anyone tell if this BAB (basic adblock), which roytam has fixed, contains now some sort of embedded GUI perhaps?
Can't find anything, but doesn't mean much, perhaps just looking in the wrong place.
Or perhaps, JamesD's macro still needed and was only forgotten?
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,137036#msg-137036

Date: December 26, 2017 09:37AM

After reading about Basic AdBlock and all the other possible versions. I have just a simple question about 'removing' AdBlock completely.

I don't want it in my current KM76 setup. Perhaps in the future I may decide to try it again when K-Meleon is in a final release version.

In the link posted by siria:

The last post by rodocop mentions how to remove AdBlock ...

Date: September 09, 2016

mhal,
yes, I also noticed that 76RC has some real slowdown with basic adblock (this can be the reason of its absence in official package made by Dorian).

To remove BAB just delete adblock.dll from kplugins folder and also all files (not folders) with names started with 'adblock' in your profile folder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I followed those instructions ... but what about the three entries I have in 'about:config' ...

'about:config' -- Search -- three items below.

kmeleon.adblocking;false

Date: December 26, 2017 10:07AM

callahan
After reading about Basic AdBlock and all the other possible versions. I have just a simple question about 'removing' AdBlock completely.

I don't want it in my current KM76 setup. Perhaps in the future I may decide to try it again when K-Meleon is in a final release version.

In the link posted by siria:

The last post by rodocop mentions how to remove AdBlock ...

Date: September 09, 2016

mhal,
yes, I also noticed that 76RC has some real slowdown with basic adblock (this can be the reason of its absence in official package made by Dorian).

To remove BAB just delete adblock.dll from kplugins folder and also all files (not folders) with names started with 'adblock' in your profile folder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I followed those instructions ... but what about the three entries I have in 'about:config' ...

'about:config' -- Search -- three items below.

kmeleon.adblocking;false

Removing Basic AdBlock:
delete kplugins\adblock.dll

Removing ABP:
delete browser\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi

Posted by: Kamaleón
Date: December 26, 2017 10:14AM

Hi there,

If Goanna based K-Meleon's user agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0
then I would like to suggest a chance to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 Goanna/3.4 K-Meleon/76.0
as some websites look for Gecko/20100101 next to Firefox/xx.x.

Best regards.

Date: December 26, 2017 11:05AM

Thanks ...

Removing Basic AdBlock:
delete kplugins\adblock.dll

Removing ABP:
delete browser\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi
---------------------------------------------------------------------

... I did not find - extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi

However, in Profiles / chrome ... I found an 'adblock' Cascading style sheet document, which I also deleted, as to your earlier instructions from September 09, 2016.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 11:06AM by callahan.

Date: December 26, 2017 11:47AM

@callahan
uh oh... it looks to me like you're getting more and more confused, the more you read, especially "earlier" threads which do not apply to your OWN versions and configurations? Then messing too deeply inside things and this will cause yet more misunderstandings in the future, when we assume you still have an original version.

Perhaps it would be best if you simply start all fresh again, and leave all native files where they are??
Then simply do NOT switch on adblock, if that popup appears at first run and asks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 11:51AM by siria.

Date: December 26, 2017 12:35PM

Kamaleón
Hi there,

If Goanna based K-Meleon's user agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0
then I would like to suggest a chance to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 Goanna/3.4 K-Meleon/76.0
as some websites look for Gecko/20100101 next to Firefox/xx.x.

Best regards.

You can always overriding it in about:config general.useragent.override entry.

Posted by: hermes
Date: December 26, 2017 01:16PM

@callahan

(ALL KPLUGiNS) Even simpler (and more elegant):

[F2] > KPLUGiNS > remove checkbox opposite unnecessary plugin.

(ALL XPi) about:addons > choose extension > DiSABLE

Of course restart your browser.

If change your mind, can always back. But just ignoring such useful things as filters (especially in a modern network) seems to me a very unwise decision. However, the choice is yours.

However, in Profiles / chrome ... I found an 'adblock' Cascading style sheet document, which I also deleted...

All of the above (except XPi) can be disable by pressing [F2] and minimal change the settings..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 01:25PM by hermes.

Posted by: user33
Date: December 26, 2017 01:43PM

Siria,
why do you only use the browser only offline?
By the way, I also received a version with ABP. Can I leave it or can there be any problems?

Date: December 26, 2017 02:01PM

Thanks siria and hermes for additional information. No problem ... every time I make any changes, deletes or adds ... I back up the 'whole' K-Meleon folder to a flash drive in steps or stages.

I just went back to my K-Meleon backup from 12-23-2017 before I started this odyssey.

All is well ... I like to 'experiment' with everything ... settings and such so I save every step or small change. Very easy to go back to a good KM backup.

I use the date and then a, b, c and so forth ... works good for me, I have never went all the way to the letter 'z' in one day ... but I can have a lot of KM folders saved in one day !!!

callahan

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 26, 2017 02:22PM

hermes
But just ignoring such useful things as filters (especially in a modern network) seems to me a very unwise decision.

- Not related to K-Meleon (whatever it's based on) -
Iframe irony: Adblock Plus is probably the reason Firefox and Chrome are such memory hogs
The above article is from 2014. So ABP might have improved since.
This one is more recent: AdBlock is using lots of memory
Since I'm one of those making unwise decisions I've never used either of them. smiling smiley
I'm getting along with a hosts file and by disabling scripting for most of the time.

Re: [TEST] KM76-Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223)
Date: December 26, 2017 02:48PM

(offtopic)

callahan
No problem ... every time I make any changes, deletes or adds ... I back up the 'whole' K-Meleon folder to a flash drive in steps or stages.

This is most useful, great habit smiling smiley
Okay, that means now you have adblock (BAcool smiley restored again.
If you want to simply switch this ON/OFF between sessions, use the normal way here:
F2 > K-Meleon Plugins > adblock

Date: December 26, 2017 03:04PM

user33
By the way, I also received a version with ABP. Can I leave it or can there be any problems?

No prob, if you know what you're doing.
If an adblocker is active, it can happen that they block too much, because they can only 'guess' what are ads and what is important page content.
The options and on/off switch for ABP is accessible when you type this adress into the URLBar:
about:addons

(PS: I am ONline with KM, but only with an old KM-version due to ancient system on my online-machine)

Date: December 26, 2017 04:02PM

This isn't a right place to discuss ABP, so just shortly:

1) the main reason of slowdown and memory leak with AdBlock Plus is the number of 'element hiding rules' that inject numerous CSS in all frames on the page and thus making browser to eat lots of RAM and slowdown.

Almost no such rules are present in default 'light subscription' of my package of ABP for KM 74-76.

So the default ABP for KM isn't the memory hog and slowdown factor.

I plan to add some more blocking rules in new packages but they also wouldn't be of 'element hiding' type.

2) Slowdown with basic adblock was observed on KM 76 RC-RC2 but wasn't present in KM 75.1 and KM 76 alpha.

And new basic adblock wasn't tested for slowdown with Goanna build (at least by me).
It is possible that there is NO slowdown now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 04:03PM by rodocop.

Re: [TEST] KM76-Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223)
Date: December 26, 2017 04:09PM

Again thanks to you and hermes for the proper way to turn AdBlock off. I knew that list was there somewhere but hadn't seen it for sometime.

I went into 'about:config' and saw the setting 'kmeleon.plugins.adblock.load; was false' ... then I went to: [F2] > KPLUGiNS > and put a check in the adblock box ... did a browser restart and went back into 'about:config' and saw it had changed to 'true'.

Checkmark now removed for regular use ... everything working correctly.

Very good learning mode today.

callahan

Date: December 26, 2017 04:16PM

Yogi
hermes
But just ignoring such useful things as filters (especially in a modern network) seems to me a very unwise decision.

- Not related to K-Meleon (whatever it's based on) -
Iframe irony: Adblock Plus is probably the reason Firefox and Chrome are such memory hogs
The above article is from 2014. So ABP might have improved since.
This one is more recent: AdBlock is using lots of memory
Since I'm one of those making unwise decisions I've never used either of them. smiling smiley
I'm getting along with a hosts file and by disabling scripting for most of the time.

Surfing with Javascript disabled has long been a basis of security. For me, this is one of main habits. While additionally using a set handmade rules for ABP, Noscript, Silentblock + (of course) the HOSTS file. In addition running proxomitron. Sometimes I use Jondo and Tor. To compensate for some inconvenience (at the time) wrote ~37 scripts to automatically enable / disable desired options and General browser automation. Not one of the existing browsers (not engines, namely browsers) does not allow this degree of customization. What is done with a macro language in other browsers is possible only via a binary implementation. After the disappearance of classical Opera browser (for whom I also wrote a lot) K-MELEON remains for me the only option last three years.

As to waste of memory when you use ad blockers, answer is simple: don't use the subscription, write rules themselves. Or (as easy variant) optimize and dispose of unused rules.

In addition, at the time, and now offered (repeatedly) my plugin. But not interested in anyone. In my implementation, the browser consumes much less memory. The demonstration lasts about 13 minutes and despite the huge number of open pages consumption does not go away even 200 MB.

(post) http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143289#msg-143289

(old post, year 2016) http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,138447,138807#msg-138807

If you are not embarrassed by presence of Cyrillic symbols (for meaning is not affected) you can see that even on NT6.1 (specifically, Windows 7 was chosen as an example of the system not saving resources) memory consumption is not very large.

(~5.68 Mcool smiley
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/tN_zVUN5sJakG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 08:14PM by hermes.

Date: December 26, 2017 07:23PM

I watched the video. Do I understand correctly that you are offering your plugin for Adblock.

"In addition, at the time, and now offered (repeatedly) my plugin. But not interested in anyone. In my implementation, the browser consumes much less memory. The demonstration lasts about 13 minutes and despite the huge number of open pages consumption does not go away even 200 MB."

If that is so then I would be interested in trying Adblock with your handmade rules. Is this also for Adblock or just Adblock Plus?

Sounds like you have a tight secure machine:

"While additionally using a set handmade rules for ABP, Noscript, Silentblock + (of course) the HOSTS file. In addition running proximotron. Sometimes I use Jondo and Tor."

I never heard of Jondo ... have used Tor some time back.

callahan

Re: 3x ADBLOCK [split from Goanna thread] + RAM scripts
Date: December 26, 2017 07:44PM

callahan
I watched the video. Do I understand correctly that you are offering your plugin for Adblock.

Video shows that despite Adblock, Noscript and so on, memory consumption does not go beyond. There is a moment where it is shown that toggling the option in the configuration file, enables and disables this mode. When you disable it, browser consumes (even at the start) twice of memory size. Further work recorded with the option enabled. Video about optimization of resource consumption by browser, not about filters. However, yes, there was a fairly optimized set of them. However, this does not mean that you can uncontrollably add filters and think that it will pass without consequences. Everywhere need a balance.

You can do your measurements activity of browser using this set (you seen him in video).
Compare how fast you go overseas 200-400 MB of RAM.

(~357 Bytes)
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/K_K1F-hE3Qz6JN

With this set you can measure resource consumption of various assemblies KM. And in dynamics. In video, console window was status on top (this is done by external means). If something doesn't work, check your services configuration and command tasklist (in console). The test uses only system commands.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 08:42PM by hermes.

Date: December 26, 2017 08:22PM

This topic has been split from the Goanna-thread now.
Please remember to update the subject line when quoting a post from above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 10:31PM by siria.

Date: December 26, 2017 09:44PM

@hermes:
it would be a pity if your RAM improvements get buried between other topics here.
Perhaps just copy your post again back to the Goanna thread? And/Or give it an own topic for itself? Don't know, your decision of course.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 26, 2017 09:54PM

Off Topic

hermes

While additionally using a set handmade rules for ABP, Noscript, Silentblock + (of course) the HOSTS file. In addition running proxomitron. Sometimes I use Jondo and Tor.

Wow, that's a lot! smiling smiley
Speaking of Proxomitron, does SSL filtering (with workarounds) work fine for you??

hermes
Not one of the existing browsers (not engines, namely browsers) does not allow this degree of customization. What is done with a macro language in other browsers is possible only via a binary implementation. After the disappearance of classical Opera browser (for whom I also wrote a lot) K-MELEON remains for me the only option last three years.

True.
BTW, I'm still using Opera Presto occasionally. However K-Meleon allows a far, far better degree of customization!

hermes
As to waste of memory when you use ad blockers, answer is simple: don't use the subscription, write rules themselves. Or (as easy variant) optimize and dispose of unused rules.

I only mentioned the possibility of higher memory consumption having users with old hardware in mind. Not tested myself.
I have 8GB of RAM whereof 6GB are most of the time unused, using 2 browsers at the same time and both with disk cache disabled.
Also true that I rarely open more than 5 tabs in a browser and scripting is most of the time disabled.

hermes
In addition, at the time, and now offered (repeatedly) my plugin. But not interested in anyone. In my implementation, the browser consumes much less memory. The demonstration lasts about 13 minutes and despite the huge number of open pages consumption does not go away even 200 MB.

(post) http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143289#msg-143289

(old post, year 2016) http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,138447,138807#msg-138807

If you are not embarrassed by presence of Cyrillic symbols (for meaning is not affected) you can see that even on NT6.1 (specifically, Windows 7 was chosen as an example of the system not saving resources) memory consumption is not very large.

(~5.68 Mcool smiley
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/tN_zVUN5sJakG

I watched the video. Looks good!

Date: December 26, 2017 10:24PM

I should to reveal the big secret: comrade hermes has prepared a great highly customized build with a number of his own scripts, macros and binary additions.

We saw a little part of them: EXT_TOOLBAR and KMM_TASK_LOGIC.

The full package could be taken as complete fork of K-Meleon, and maybe one happy day he dares to share his job with us

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 26, 2017 11:14PM

rodocop
siria,

C:\KM-Goanna-20171215.7z\KM-Goanna\browser\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi\

Date: December 26, 2017 11:41PM

oops...

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 27, 2017 07:23AM

rodocop
oops...

Not all versions have it.

p.s. I prefer Bluehell,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 08:20AM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2017 06:33PM

I was reading about Bluehell ... it looks good but I guess it's only for Firefox on Windows.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.