General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[DELETED AS SPAM] Help me!
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 18, 2017 10:02AM

This message was edited later with spam content. Deleted. (c)rodocop

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 05:50PM by rodocop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help me!
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 19, 2017 12:40PM

Did your bookmarks come from the file 'bookmarks.html' in your profile? If so check to see if the file is still in your profile.

Another check is to see if the bookmarks function is turned on. Press F2 and look for 'Netscape Bookmarks' in K-Meleon Plugins. Click on that and check to see if the checkbox for enable has a check. Further down that page, you can also check to see where your bookmarks.html file should be found.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Re: Help me!
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 21, 2017 10:11AM

tuongericdoan
Hello, everybody. . . .

Due to a power interruption in our place, my computer shut down. I was surfing the internet using the K-Meleon 1.5.3 Browser when it happened. When power came back on, I went back to what I was doing but I noticed that the bookmark function had disappeared, and up to the present I could not find nor use it.

Any ideas on what caused the disappearance? I would like some assistance please.

Thanks.

Most probably the reason is that the hard shutdown caused a write error.

So You either lost the profile.ini, profiles.ini or bookmarks.html.

Function of first. Makes that profile is in K-Meleon install folder. 4 Portable, old windows or system with several K-M.

To fix. Create file named thus in install folder. can be empty. If You had such an install,

Rarely happens. Even with this configuration the next happens more often.

The most common reason/error especially after Windows did a scan-disk run!

Function & location of profiles.ini. It is in K-Meleon Profiles folder and directs K-Meleon which profile in Profiles directory to use. Format: plain text file. You can edit to fix it if You know enough. But there are easier solutions.

You will find all locations via EDIT -> Configuration...

To fix. Go to Profiles folder and look whether it contains many profiles. Go into each profile, look for a bookmarks.html and open it with k-meleon. If You find the right one - copy it to the currently used profile. You can also edit profiles.ini to point to this profile with the right bookmarks file or copy its whole content profile folder into the currently used profile. The later idea was posted for my by siria.

bookmarks.html is rarely if ever damaged. A bookmarks_backup.html exists in the used profile next to bookmarks.html and can be renamed to bookmarks.html. But first You'd check whether it is the right backup and not broken too. You can see immediately that the backup is bigger and You must also open the file with the browser first to make sure it is right and no broken.

p.s. Maybe update to a current development version. Possible for XP sp3 or newer OS and fairly old hardware, In Forum http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19 Unofficial versions development, K-Meleon on Goanna (Goanna us a fork of the Mozilla engine)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 10:33AM by guenter.

Re: Help me! / bookmarks off after crash
Posted by: siria
Date: December 25, 2017 03:39PM

quote from: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,103167
desga2 in 2010
This is an usual problem when K-Meleon crash, KM prefs.js file profile is corrupted and when you start KM after a crash it create a new profile, due to this you "lost" your browser configuration (you have all your profile datas but in other profile folder). Search your old profile and copy the bookmarks.htm file and others if you like in your new profile folder and enable Bookmarks in Preferences (F2) panel.
You can find your Profile folder in menu Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory

Re: Help me! / SPAM
Posted by: siria
Date: December 26, 2017 06:42PM

Is that now becoming a new habit, that spammers first post harmless stuff and later secretly edit it to spam (or worse)?! GRMPFF! The second case in just a few days, and who knows how many just not found?!

But good thing you quoted his full post, guenter!
And lo and behold, that crook simply had copied this old post from 2009:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,96383,96388
jayton123
Hello, everybody. . . .

Due to a power interruption in our place, my computer shut down. I was surfing the internet using the K-Meleon 1.5.3 Browser when it happened. When power came back on, I went back to what I was doing but I noticed that the bookmark function had disappeared, and up to the present I could not find nor use it.

Any ideas on what caused the disappearance? I would like some assistance please.

Thanks.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 28, 2017 04:24PM

Google "tuongericdoan". A notorious spammer it seems.
Who joined many forums and communities recently.

An example found via https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/members/tuongericdoan.html:

Posted By tuongericdoan
tuongericdoan
I have a problem

Để sở hữu lông mày đẹp, bạn quyết định phun thêu, điêu khắc lông mày của mình để có được dáng ngài như mơ ước. Nhưng, đôi khi lông mày mới vẫn không đáp ứng được yêu cầu hài hòa cho gương mặt và bạn...

indicates IMHO that he speaks/is Vietnamese. Also he appears to know some French and English.

He looked into our Forum's past and picked a legitimate question by jayton123.

p.s. Good catch siria.

A professional spammer who knew that we will check source code of new users - if we suspect something or by default just because they are new.

Easiest way to check source text - quote him. LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 04:35PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 28, 2017 05:29PM

There was a number of that 'vietnamese spammers' so they are semi-bots, not the only one 'bad guy'.

I see alikes in russian forum. But it has more robust tools to fight with spammers and more flexible options to give bans and moderate (cleanup) forum.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.