General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon is enough to drive you insane!
Posted by: Aberzen
Date: February 05, 2020 01:09PM

Why are K-Meleon browsers so inconsistent? i.e 'Pro' won't work properly on a site but 'Goanna' and 75.1 will work. K-Meleon is a frustrating and and confusing mess. You have to juggle three different K-Meleon browsers. It is a lot easier to just buy a new rig and run Chrome or Edge than driving yourself insane. Yeah, Microsoft and the Google guys 'win', but hey-ho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon is enough to drive you insane!
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 05, 2020 04:12PM

You are comparing custom made distributions, forks and official releases.

75.1 is the latest OFFICIAL Gecko engine release, despite there is a 76 RC2 that didn't see the stable status after a disaster in the developer disk. The current status is on hold.

Goanna is a FORK based on Goanna engine (Palemoon) and so the most compatible with latest standards. Weekly updated.

Pro is a custom made K-meleon distribution with predefined out of the box settings for some specific experience. That may lead to site compatibilities.

Posted by: Aberzen
Date: February 06, 2020 01:56PM

Thanks for explaining that. I wonder if it would be possible to combine official, fork and custom to make an even better browser. K-Meleon Ultra? Anyway, in the meantime I am sticking with K-Meleon; can't let Microsoft or the Google guys win - at least not yet smiling smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: February 06, 2020 03:25PM

Aberzen
Why are K-Meleon browsers so inconsistent? i.e 'Pro' won't work properly on a site but 'Goanna' and 75.1 will work. K-Meleon is a frustrating and and confusing mess.

Can't deny this, sadly. Mainly lack of a GUI dev since forever. By the way there are alternatives too, which are less confusing, especially for people needing native Firefox addons. For example, the engine in current most modern KM-fork is identic with the one in roytam1's fork of PaleMoon27, called NewMoon27 (name will probably change in the future). He also builds a NewMoon28 regularly, next generation with more modern engine features. Although not quite up either to the most feature-demanding websites today from google and microsoft (github), who on purpose try to kick even slightly older browsers out of the web.
There are also a couple other Mozilla forks which I'm not familiar with (=not KM), like waterfox, mypal, other forks/builds by PaleMoon team members, and more forks (of forks) by roytam1.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/#comments

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 06, 2020 04:34PM

Aberzen
Thanks for explaining that. I wonder if it would be possible to combine official, fork and custom to make an even better browser. K-Meleon Ultra? Anyway, in the meantime I am sticking with K-Meleon; can't let Microsoft or the Google guys win - at least not yet smiling smiley

There is nothing to combine, as all is the same.

Pro is a custom made K-meleon, by rodocop, with special settings. It is as if I made my mega customized K-meleon installation available to others.

That is the reason you won't see here in the Downloads section.

So is nothing that could make you insane because it is as any official/fork, but already customized. But customizations are up to each users to fits their own needs, so it is under your own responsibility to use them if you don't know the K-meleon workings itself.

The two others are, out of the box, almost as any other Gecko/Goanna browser, so less unexpected behaviours on sites, and so the official downloads in the Download section or routed to its main thread (the Goanna fork).

Why two versions? because K-meleon has been always Gecko based (Firefox/Mozilla), but in the lack of developers for this branch, and as roytam is doing a great job using the Goanna engine (Firefox/Mozilla Gecko fork by Palemoon), it is available.

Have in mind, that beyond the settings, K-meleon is mostly a shell for an engine with additional feature such as the macro system.

Posted by: Kukee
Date: February 10, 2020 11:42AM

K-Meleon is fast and snappy like browsers are meant to be. So-called 'modern browsers' are as slow as molasses (treacle). They move like a snail. It is as almost as if they don't want you surfing the web. 'Modern' browsers suck big time. They WILL drive you insane!

Posted by: Kukee
Date: February 10, 2020 11:48AM

'Modern' browsers are also 'dumbed down'. Even simple controls have been stripped out. A big 0/10 to the 'modern' web browser. Useless!

Posted by: Mello
Date: February 15, 2020 01:59PM

Aberzen
Anyway, in the meantime I am sticking with K-Meleon; can't let Microsoft or the Google guys win - at least not yet smiling smiley

You can use a macro to open sites that K-m can't handle in chrome - unzip and place in macros folder
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/chromeex.7z

It works from right click context menu.

When you restart K-m you'll see a prompt to browse to the chrome exe

or - easier than right click - you can create a shortcut by adding this to the macro
(I've commandeered CTRL J - you can choose others)

_Chromium_SetAccels{
setaccel("CTRL J","macros(Chromium_OpenPage)");
}

Then edit accel.cfg. In Goanna it is located
browser/defaults/settings/accel.cfg

Tinkering with K-m get get addictive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 02:03PM by Mello.

Posted by: giro1991
Date: December 12, 2020 09:28PM

Kmeleon works fine for me. IF you have money and want to spend/waste it rather than have a bit of patience to customize your own k-meleon then please do.
Thats the problem in this world everyone OD'ing on instant gratification. FF and chrome were hell for me and to this day k-meleon loads up a damn sight faster than both upon clicking the icon, an attestement to the direction of software development in general.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.