General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Re: DevTools
Posted by: siria
Date: April 02, 2020 07:26AM

@MrLinikin
Good question about DevTools, would be curious to know too.

As for kmext extensions, just unzip them and copy the files into the K-Meleon folder and matching subfolders, then restart the browser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 04:28PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MrLinikin
Date: April 02, 2020 07:45AM

And what about kmext: I was tried to do like you said but I failed. I did unzip extension and paste that files in matching subfolders but nothing has changed. Maybe I choose bad extension or wrong version KM or I just stupid and don't know how to use extensions xD, Anyway Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 04:28PM by JohnHell.

DevTools
Date: April 02, 2020 07:49AM

Hi guys, anyone know whether there is a extension like DevTools for KM or anything such ? I am still looking anything that will help me in this question. I was looking for 5 days and find nothing. Maybe I'm bad at google. I'm Russian so It's hard, because in Russians Forums I see nothing what may help me. I hope for your help. DevTools Developer Tools so that I could see 'Network' 'Console' 'Elements' etc. http://prntscr.com/rrafby . Right, I didn't ask this on Russians Forums because I think I won't get help. If You can, give me link to the topic where I can get help .

Date: April 02, 2020 07:59AM

MrLinikin
kmext: I was tried to do like you said but I failed. I did unzip extension and paste that files in matching subfolders but nothing has changed. Maybe I choose bad extension or wrong version KM or I just stupid and don't know how to use extensions xD, Anyway Thanks.

Forgot to mention: and delete the folder StartupCache in your profile...
(Old KM-versions: A few addons also require to delete the 2 *.dat files in folder /components)
Then restart the browser.
Hmm... and some older KM7x-versions need to first switch on 1-2 prefs for xpi addons!

Which extension did you try?
Most stuff there is really ancient, about ten years or so, and not maintained long since. The"simple" macros with just a *.kmm file should still work. But especially the complicated extensions are sometimes not compatible anymore with current KM-versions, containing very old xpi or jar files, borrowed from Firefox extensions of creation time.

Younger extensions are only here in the forum, chapter Extensions.
There are also more explanations and tips for installation (I keep forgetting those prefs, and which KM-versions need them...)

Just curious, which KM-version did you install? Current KM-Goanna 76.2?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 04:29PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 02, 2020 04:53PM

Sadly there isn't any DevTools adaptation that I could recall.

There was this adaptation for firebug (before being integrated in Firefox and called DevTools)
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,91393,91393#msg-91393

But this doesn't work anymore because the source script, as a result of the above, isn't available anymore.

So, you can do what I do. For network inspection, use HTTPfox adapted for K-meleon:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131134,131134#msg-131134

For errors, the built-in error console, from Tools menu.

And for HTML inspection... well, you don't have anything, but the source viewer itself. Isn't a live html editor, but... there isn't anything else.

There is nothing adapted to K-meleon that I know of.

Date: April 08, 2020 12:45PM

JohnHell

So, you can do what I do. For network inspection, use HTTPfox adapted for K-meleon:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131134,131134#msg-131134

For errors, the built-in error console, from Tools menu.

And for HTML inspection... well, you don't have anything, but the source viewer itself. Isn't a live html editor, but... there isn't anything else.

There is nothing adapted to K-meleon that I know of.

Do you know how can I block request domain?

Date: April 08, 2020 01:27PM

If you meant the referrer:
RefControl Firefox Extension for K-Meleon 74/75 (and should be compatible with 76 Gecko and Goanna as well)

Or this adaptation from that Add-on as well:
adapted RefControl for K-meleon

Off-topic:
By the way, you can always edit your posts. There is no need for deletion, or double postings. Just edit the first "wrongly" sent post. If you really, really, really, want to delete it, report as you did, but usually you can leave as is, as in almost any other forum script out there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 01:34PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: April 10, 2020 02:38AM

siria
OFFTOPIC:
gordon451
IE11 has devtools which I do not understand and therefore have no use for; and the "Performance Dashboard" which is cute but pointless. I liked being able to highlight a screen portion and view the underlying HTML, or to put a semi-permanent highlight over important text to show others. And yes, there was page info...

Just for curiosity, since I'm working on such stuff too (with macros of course), could you elaborate a bit more about details, looks and functions etc.? How other browsers do such stuff, GUI, how you're doing that in KM? E.g. are you selecting only 1 piece of text (rather easy and temporary, prob as usual just GUI), or several? Or how are you doing that "show others" thing?
For example just a few days ago tried to figure out how to highlight several text portions at once and permanently (result so far see attachment), wich finally works but only in most simple cases, otherwise a bit buggy and not sure I'll manage to fix it, so not sure if worth posting it.

But better in another topic, not here. Perhaps create a new one, or maybe in that recent devtools topic, seems related to me (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,152024)

Hi siria - I am unable to do any of that nice stuff in KM. I don't know how IE4 did it, I just downloaded the "Toys" pack and installed it. The same for IE5 and IE6.

The "show others thing" was only a "Come and look" thing -- calling people to my desk, where I had highlighted the information. The "permanent" part was that I could click on any part of the page, but the highlight would stay in place, even if I opened a new tab/window, but of course it would not be there if I closed its tab/window.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: April 10, 2020 05:56AM

@gordon451
Hold CTRL key while selecting multiple parts of a page. Switch tabs or windows to test it.

Date: May 16, 2020 04:33PM

JohnHell
If you meant the referrer:
RefControl Firefox Extension for K-Meleon 74/75 (and should be compatible with 76 Gecko and Goanna as well)

Or this adaptation from that Add-on as well:
adapted RefControl for K-meleon

Off-topic:
By the way, you can always edit your posts. There is no need for deletion, or double postings. Just edit the first "wrongly" sent post. If you really, really, really, want to delete it, report as you did, but usually you can leave as is, as in almost any other forum script out there.
I tried to use this extension and... no, It's not that what I want. If it will help you to understand what I want that I can give screenshot https://prnt.sc/shzlxg

Date: May 16, 2020 05:06PM

That quote was meant to reply to this question:

MrLinikin

I know what you meant by DevTools, that is the screenshot you posted now, but as I replied above, that is not available in K-meleon AFAIK.

Date: May 18, 2020 01:35AM

MrLinikin

Sigh, no devs, experts, let alone any addon devs around since so long :-(
If you want to simply block a DOMAIN, that can be done in various ways.
Personally I like an old version of ExExPermissions addon in my old KM-version, it lets you block html and/or cookies and/or images and...etc. from a given domain.
Or any adblocker should do (no clue myself, only familiar with adblock.css)
In old times also the HOSTS file could block domains, but have read that can be overruled.

Forgot to mention:
did you try url "about:networking"?
Don't know it myself as it doesn't exist yet in my old KM-version, but was reported to work in newer KM. Perhaps it's even possible to configure anything from there??

Or on the other "about" pages, there are many. Open "about:about" and look around what may be interesting ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 01:44AM by siria.

Date: May 18, 2020 01:25PM

siria
Forgot to mention:
did you try url "about:networking"?
Don't know it myself as it doesn't exist yet in my old KM-version, but was reported to work in newer KM. Perhaps it's even possible to configure anything from there??

That is only a monitoring tool feature in Gecko.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.