General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Toolbar, button and skin configs
Posted by: KM2005
Date: May 03, 2018 10:21PM

1. I'm trying to get the Privacy Bar to continuously show with the Klassic skin; but, when I close the browser the show Privacy Bar setting reverts to don't show the Privacy Bar.

2. The Default skin is giving me the same problem. And, I have yet to figure out where the Default skin config file is located to edit which buttons show.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 06:03PM by KM2005.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 76 RC
Posted by: anonymous
Date: May 04, 2018 01:58AM

@KM2005
1. skin.js
2. toolbars.cfg

Do not search forum for answers.

Date: May 04, 2018 03:11PM

1. Skin.js in Klassic skin allows for bar presence or not. Changed Privacy Bar to "true" and it overode the GUI setting which wouldn't stick, Privacy Bar shows continuously now. SOLVED FOR ME

2. In Default skin, skin.cfg has "privacy(ClearCookies)"; but, the "clear cookies" button doesn't show in the toolbar. Doesn't much matter to me as I'll use a non-default skin instead which has features to my liking.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 06:03PM by KM2005.

Re: K-Meleon 76 RC / Toolbar and button configs HOWTO
Posted by: siria
Date: May 04, 2018 05:04PM

@KM2005:
Yeah this is an ancient well-known prob, but also a separate topic, not related to 76RC or announcements. For better overview it would help if you edit the title of your first post, to reflect this thread is about toolbar or buttons or skin configs, whatever you like.
And if you don't find this thread anymore, it is NOT deleted, just look for it in the General or Graphics chapter of this forum.

skin.js
This is an optional file, and every line in it is optional too.
It defines a set of FORCED pref settings for every skin, mainly for toolbar positions, because each one can be so different. The purpose was probably to get a new skin 'look optimized' as soon as a user switches skins, but unfortunately those settings are not only enforced when switching skins, but also at every browser start again sad smiley At least the visibility lines. Guess that's a bug, but it's GUI -> never enough priority to fix.

@roytam1
Perhaps you can delete this forced visibility-line in the Klassic skin.js?
Should have been done since many years, but all our devs are more into engines and not at all into GUI stuff ;-)

skin.cfg
This is completely different from skin.js
It's for the new skin configuration method since KM75 (PS: the old method still works too)
This cfg tells KM which icons belong to which command, NOT which buttons are created or not. Better not touch this file, unless you want to ADD icons for custom buttons. Or alternatively create new buttons by macro.

toolbars.cfg
THIS file defines which buttons are created or not, the manual way (macros are another way). The currently active CFG file opens by menu
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

Another in my eyes not quite so helpful idea was to eliminate this file from the current default skin, and instead have users EDIT directly the DEFAULT template file in KM/browser/defaults/settings - if a user creates accidents in this one, there is no obvious way to fix or reset it, not even by creating a fresh new profile! Only figuring out what was changed wrong, or much better, restoring the previous version from a backup somewhere.

========== @all: TIP for customizing skins + buttons: Edit a COPY!

Create your own skin, simply by copying the current one and then editing that copy, instead of the original. This also prevents that all your hard worked edits will be lost and overwritten at the next KM update, if you have no backup of the program folder.
How:
Find the skin folders in ..programs/K-Meleon/skins/..
Just copy the folder you want to use, and give that folder an own name ("myskin1" or whatever you like)
If this folder contains no own toolbars.cfg yet, copy over the one from KM/browser/defaults/settings/toolbars.cfg
Activate this skin in menu: F2 > GUI Appearance > Skin, then restart KM
Now you can edit as much you like, and if anything goes wrong, simply restore the original version or just look inside to compare details.
And now this folder will NOT be overwritten at the next KM update either. Just remember not to delete the whole (old) KM program folder without having a backup copy of your own skin.

Or is your current skin missing some buttons and bars, which are only contained in another skin? No prob, you can copy over everything! Copy the lines for those buttons from its toolbars.cfg into your own one, and the icon pics from the other folder into yours too, or throw multi-skin pics into the folder "shared" or "default"

There are more handy tricks for custom skins, more and smaller privbar buttons etc., but am afraid this gets too long here ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 05:18PM by siria.

Date: May 04, 2018 06:19PM

@siria:
siria

skin.js
This is an optional file...

@roytam1
Perhaps you can delete this forced visibility-line in the Klassic skin.js?...

Or, as you allude to, delete the file--fixes the forced settings only changed by editing the file manually.

Upon checking the skin.js usage a bit more; I'm guessing the file originally had a non-write-save attribute. Mine saves through the GUI now, upon restarting the browser.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 06:40PM by KM2005.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.