General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
pics on heise.de totally crippled
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: July 03, 2020 09:50AM

Please have a look at the website www.heise.de

In the upper part, there are some pics that show as they should.

If you scroll down a bit (to the list of more (non-promoted) articles) the pics look crippled.

If you open such an article you get again such a crippled pic slightly bigger.

Please right-click onto the pic and look at the pic properties: it is a pic of the size 16x9 pixels (!!!) blown up to 246 px (hor) on the overview list and to 610 px (hor) inside the article.

Of course the source is a programming flaw of the heise.de website ... but why does KM show these so tiny and other browsers do not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 11:54AM by Voltaire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pics on heise.de totally crippled
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 03, 2020 01:27PM

You are with JavaScript off, right?

They are just telling you that if you want to see them correctly, you should MUST enable JavaScript, because they were so dumb intelligent, that set, for the noscript version of the web, pictures that barely are a few pixels and even a responsive tag (srcset) tells that the image could be as larger at twice that miniscule size.

I'm almost sure that in those other browsers you are using JavaScript. I can't tell myself on K-meleon 75.0, as it hangs this version with JavaScript enabled, and even Seamonkey 2.49.5 is near to hang.

It has become my mantra, but, as I told in the Goanna weeklies thread, just tell them to use Progressive enhancement, and not Graceful degradation, because that is what they are actually doing, despite they are trying the first.

P.S.: and how I hate the infinite scrolling :-S I hate that kind of sites. Sorry, ranting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 01:29PM by JohnHell.

Re: pics on heise.de totally crippled
Posted by: siria
Date: July 03, 2020 01:51PM

And of course it's intentional that readers who block javascript are forbidden to see the article pics, simply because javascript is necessary to show nearly all advertisements today. Usually even needs foreign 3rd party scripts, which the sites itself have no control over.

Heise is still a lot more graceful as other sites: every article has a link to a print view ("Druckansicht"), which opens a really nice and clean, noscript view incl a normal image (URL ...html?view=print)
Minor little catch: to see that print link on e.g. KM1.6, I must first use stylekiller.
Or I hit my personal magic Sites-button, which injects little macro tweaks into customized pages, like URL redirects or little script snippets ;-)

If however you do have javascript enabled, incl. 3rd party scripts, and KM still doesn't show those pics, things get more interesting....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2020 01:55PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.