General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
google search - no classic view with old useragent
Posted by: Mello
Date: July 29, 2020 09:46PM

Used to be last year that an old useragent would give a classic google looking page - no longer

Any ideas how to do this now?

(I'm using Goanna)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: google search - no classic view with old useragent
Date: July 29, 2020 09:52PM

Anything to do with this?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to-phase-out-user-agent-strings-in-chrome/

From reading article's comments: "Client hints seem to contain even more information than many user agent strings, not less."

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 30, 2020 02:49PM

Client Hints, as those "malicious" trackings they pretend to prevent, rely on JavaScript.

If you disable JavaScript and they apply Progressive Enhancement, you'll have something acceptable.

Otherwise use other search engines, as meta-search-engines like Searx instances.

Date: July 30, 2020 10:29PM

Thanks, I'll look at other searches

I've noticed that with js disabled google doesn't display a full menu - all - images - news etc.
"Tools" - which I use a lot to access custom date searches - is one of the missing items.

I could toggle js on and off but it gets boring having to do so.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 30, 2020 11:11PM

Mello
Thanks, I'll look at other searches

I've noticed that with js disabled google doesn't display a full menu - all - images - news etc.
"Tools" - which I use a lot to access custom date searches - is one of the missing items.

I could toggle js on and off but it gets boring having to do so.

Yeah, if you really need those tools better allow JavaScript and firefox agent and switch to the new layout.

But I see what you meant, the old light layout now is the mobile version, or the generic version, or... whatever. I didn't had a look before reply.

You'll need JS and Firefox compatible UA so that it looks something usable. I don't like that new bloated interface either, but it is better than the old light one. I didn't see the new mobile one replacement for the old layout till today but isn't good either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 11:11PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 30, 2020 11:42PM

Mello
Used to be last year that an old useragent would give a classic google looking page - no longer

Yeah it's a pain, all that's good gets destroyed sad smiley
Had that Search prob since last winter, Goggle search suddenly looked just awful on old sys with old browser and no JS. Had to try long and hard to tweak it into something watchable again, although still flawed. For example have found ZERO way or workaround to restore the total number of HITS - GRRR

Mello

Found that their menu strongly depends on useragent. In the end settled to FF10, since that one still had the date search. That's how it looks now for me, with UA and a bunch of messy user-css (and not sure anymore, maybe also a bit macro tweaks)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 12:35AM by siria.

Attachments: GoogleSEARCH_UA-FF10_plus-css_evt-plus-bit-macro.png (17 KB)  
Date: July 31, 2020 09:35PM

Glad it isn't just me, lol

That's nearly there siria...BUT I often need the custom range option which should appear at the bottom of that menu. Only appears with js enabled... weird!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.