General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Porting to other OS
Posted by: K-meleon
Date: November 21, 2001 12:53PM

I was wondering this wonderful browser could be ported to other operating systems. I was thinking of BeOS, although the OS is not being actively developped due to the sell of it's IP to Palm, it has a vibrant community of users. BeOS has a cool browser Netpositive, lighting fast and no 'fat' but it's not up to date anymore. Mozilla has been ported to BeOS but it's far from good, too bloated and it uses too much memory and doesn't look like a BeOS app. Oh and BTW, BeOS is not dead there are at least two initiatives (opensource) to further develop BeOS (OpenBeOS and BlueOS).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Porting to other OS
Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 21, 2001 02:12PM

Cool to find another BeOS fan here - & yes, there's a vibrant community of users, but in danger of being fragmented now. Saying prayers for OpenBeOS & BlueOS but these aren't going to happen overnight.Nothing compares to BeOS!
But I don't think that K-meleon has any plans to support any other O/S/s

Posted by: vukv
Date: November 21, 2001 04:24PM

K-Meleon was done for Windows only in order to have efficient win32 bit browser based on gecko.... HOWEVER, there is a gecko based broswer for BeOS in the works - not sure of the link, but you can find it snooping around

Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 21, 2001 04:38PM

Then I say - there is a God!
I'm extremely impressed with K-Meleon. Now, if I can only get rid of IE - time for another post here.

Posted by: kristof
Date: November 23, 2001 01:25AM

havent heart of a Gecko based browser for BeOS, so if anyone finds that link plz post it here. Thanx

Posted by: Kalervo Manni
Date: November 23, 2001 09:12AM

Yes there are Gecko based browsers for BeOS. BeZilla one choice, http://www.bezilla.org/ . For more BeOS software, check out BeBits, http://bebits.com/ .

Posted by: kristof
Date: November 23, 2001 09:52AM

Yes but Bezilla is Mozilla and really really slow + it uses heaps of memory to do it's job. No bad word about the guys doing this port, eventually it will be ok I guess but I like something more lightweight like Kmeleon

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.