General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Disappearing page content
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: September 02, 2020 06:48AM

Hi! Maybe here is the better place to discuss this my problem:

I am happy with K-Meleon 76.2 and now 76.3 on Goanna 3.4.6 (Build 20200830), but I have the same problem in all releases:
During loading of some pages the content is displayed, but then it disappears completely before the page is loaded entirely (according to status bar).
Could the reason be a preferences setting (maybe associated with javascript)?

siria
@Zvonko
That's mentioned occasionally, but usually without example pages, so usually no one can tell anything and gets no replies.
Test perhaps with/without JS, cookies, useragents etc., other browsers...

In my old system+browser and JS blocked (useless anyway, too old and too heavy) I see that happen quite often. Obviously intentionally hidden pages for noscript visitors = no ads and no tracking, so they must be forced to switch it on.
Sometimes I just hit my StyleKiller button to make the page appear, although very "raw" looking.
And sometimes I fiddle around to create css workarounds, either globally or for certain domains.
Sometimes nothing helps at all. And sometimes I don't care and just leave.
Am aware such individual fiddling tricks are not what you're asking for, you want a magic switch (perhaps others know it?), just mentioning it for possibly interested other readers with specific page probs.

@Siria
In my case most of such pages are accessible only for logged-in users, so ... But maybe you can access this page:
LINK
At the moment on my computer the page behaves as described: The content is dispayed, the status bar already shows "Ready', but then the loading continues (advertising components?) and the content disappers. However, sometimes the page is displayed correctly ...
EDIT:
PS: Your StyleKiller macro does not make reappear the content of the above page ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 06:52AM by Zvonko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disappearing page content
Posted by: siria
Date: September 02, 2020 10:41AM

Zvonko
The content is dispayed, the status bar already shows "Ready', but then the loading continues (advertising components?) and the content disappers. However, sometimes the page is displayed correctly ...

The page shows up completely normal in my older browsers and with JS blocked, have tried several times in 1.6+74. UA doesn't seem to matter, or perhaps if JS is enabled...
What if you block javascript?
Or allow cookies and referer?

(thanks for making new topic)

Date: September 02, 2020 05:38PM

siria
What if you block javascript?
Or allow cookies and referer?

Cookies and referer are allowed ...

But yes, the problem is associated to javascript: If I disable javascript, the content does not disappear! However, not all parts of the content are displayed.

The page seems to work in the following manner: The main components of the content are loaded and displayed, the status bar shows Ready. If javascript is enabled, after a second or so the loading continues (additional components, not only advertising) ... and the content disappears (in most cases).

Any new idea???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 05:39PM by Zvonko.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: September 02, 2020 08:12PM

@Zvonko
Maybe the third party user consent redirect fails. Try a fresh profile if nobody else in forum 19 has that problem.

Date: September 02, 2020 08:40PM

anonymous
@Zvonko
Try a fresh profile ...

Doesn't help ...
Could you test the linked page (with activated javascript)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 08:42PM by Zvonko.

Date: September 03, 2020 03:46AM

That page is so chock-full with scripts... and if those generate important additional content, which isn't contained in the first loaded page source, there's probably not much hope. If not even a new profile didn't help. Speaking of new profiles... don't know about current KM, but in older ones the Cookies default setting is to block 3rd party cookies. So make sure in F2>Privacy that ALL Cookies are allowed ("always")
Am afraid it's quite possible that the scripts are just written for more modern engines.
And some sites nowadays want WebRTC functions, which I've read isn't contained in PM/NM/KM yet?
Or those "workers" functions....? (check and toggle in about:config)
Or toggle the "javascript.options.ion" pref for testing... (true is for speed, but buggy and vulnerable for attacks)

That it works sometimes and sometimes not is very interesting though.
Could it be cache related? Someone somewhere reported a broken page did load after deleting cache and just reloading again.

Just saw something in older notes, this looks like a real chance...
On some pages this pref was reported to help "mysteriously":
"javascript.options.strict"
Usually set false for daily use, but some odd pages seem to break page when set false.
Probably has to do with how their scripts self-check if something worked or not.

And your link contains a lot of URL tracking parameters, perhaps those are different every time?
Or could it be related to those pesky, hidden AI-reCaptchas on lots of sites nowadays? (no idea what to do)
Or useragents, or systems? If old system, and they check it with javascript, UA is not enough, then it must be overwritten in the oscpu pref.

Can't think of much more to test, and probably very low chances it helps anything...
Perhaps test if blocking 3P-scripts changes anything? (create permissions.default.script=3)
Especially the script linked from "cdn.optimizely.com", which is a "defer" script. If I got that right it means it starts only only after page is "ready"... Suspicious... Wouldn't be surprised if blocking that one would keep the page visible, but also prevents loading that additional stuff, but no idea.

Date: September 03, 2020 06:14PM

@Zvonko
UA Firefox/52.1 or newer. If the user consent request is not displayed, disable incomplete java-script features or block the script that loads it.

Date: September 04, 2020 06:53PM

anonymous
... or block the script that loads it.

How to block a specific script?

Date: September 04, 2020 07:13PM

@siria
I think I tried all your suggestions, but...

@anonymous
How to block a specific script only?

Date: September 04, 2020 08:47PM

@Zvonko
Forum search offers adblock extensions and firewall extensions like 'silentblock', but it is your choice.

Date: September 06, 2020 01:07PM

Hi!

Here is another page which is permanently accessible and which source code is relatively short and simple. LINKMaybe usable for testings. In my Kmeleon nothing is displayed at all, in Edge there is no problem.

No new ideas?

EDIT:
Another page: LINK BLACK. In my Kmeleon a black area is displayed (Edge: OK).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2020 03:04PM by Zvonko.

Date: September 08, 2020 05:43PM

@Zvonko
Post in forum 19 if something looks broken and works in other Gecko 39 based browsers.

Date: September 08, 2020 06:27PM

anonymous
Post in forum 19...

:O What is "forum 19"?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 08, 2020 06:45PM

Zvonko
anonymous
Post in forum 19...

I don't know why he/she calls it that way, but he/she means the K-meleon Goanna builds forum:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19

As you are using it, and it is a problem with a version with the Goanna engine, instead Gecko, post there the problem so RoyTam (Goanna engine based build of K-meleon maintainer) can read it and fix, or comment why couldn't be fixed or whatever.

In my humble opinion it is just an engine version issue. Unless he manages to embed the 4.x of Goanna engine in K-meleon, won't be any good fix.

Date: September 09, 2020 01:32AM

JohnHell
Zvonko
anonymous
Post in forum 19...

I don't know why he/she calls it that way, but he/she means the K-meleon Goanna builds forum:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19
[/quote]

'cause he likes coming across mysterious and have people riddling... ;-)

JohnHell
As you are using it, and it is a problem with a version with the Goanna engine, instead Gecko, post there the problem so RoyTam (Goanna engine based build of K-meleon maintainer) can read it and fix, or comment why couldn't be fixed or whatever.

In my humble opinion it is just an engine version issue. Unless he manages to embed the 4.x of Goanna engine in K-meleon, won't be any good fix.

Yeah, suspect the same. Scripts and css Chromified and for latest versions, using ready-made, giant code libraries...
Am afraid posting bugs in KM forum helps rarely to fix, since some time just too few other members around to test and confirm (latest KM versions). Better chances in MSFN forum, where he posts the other builds too, and some more experts hanging around there.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.