General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
IEradicator?
Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 21, 2001 04:44PM

Anyone tried IEradicator?
I'm on Win98SE dual-boot BeOS Pro5.
I'd love to get rid of IE totally. Can it be done , I'm not a very exp'd computer user.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IEradicator?
Posted by: James E. LaBarre
Date: November 21, 2001 08:44PM

For that matter, you might as well look at the entire 98Lite utility. Then you can get rid of things like the horrid MS Media Player as well (I much prefer Winamp).

Problem is, I have found a number of apps now that require MSIE of at least v4.0 (usually 5.0) be installed. Every time I encounter one of these, I send a complaint to that company, and suggest that requiring MSIE leaves them liable for the viruses ransported *by* that MSIE which they have required.

Posted by: iskyva
Date: November 21, 2001 09:55PM

I don't use O Xpress [uniinstalled also regedit], I use Becky, what else needs IE then? Guess Media Jukebox needs it, better check this out.
It'd be such satisfaction to evict IE though.

Posted by: ryuu
Date: November 21, 2001 10:02PM

Quite many programs need it, actually ..... many HTML editors, Help files (in HTMLhelp format (.chm)), many programs that display HTML in some way ... Also many of the filesharing tools need IE, Morpheus, Kazaa, etc. ... And possibly even some e-mail clients rely on the MSIE engine for displaying HTML mail.
I've had IE free systems until very recently (when I had to install it because I needed to develop HTMLhelp ....) and ran into programs that needed the engine quite often.
Even some browsers!

Good that K-Meleon needs nothing but Win32 (and some libraries winking smiley).

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 21, 2001 11:44PM

Visual Studio needs it, which is why it's installed on my system.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 22, 2001 01:15AM

Visual studio doesn't *need* it. It runs fine without it if you hack the install files, which is why it isn't installed on my system.

-- Jeff

Posted by: Ryan
Date: November 22, 2001 06:56AM

There is a utility called 98lite, and there is a link to the free preview on my site.

98lite works on Windows 98/98SE/Me with IE 4 to 5.5, and will remove almost all of Internet Explorer and then replace the Windows 98 shell with the smaller, faster, much more efficient Windows 95 shell, which I also have available for download.

The reason I said it removes almost all of Internet Explorer is because it leaves two files (MSHTML.DLL and SHDOCVW.DLL) so that programs that need IE, including MS Office 97/2000/XP will still work.

http://www.geocities.com/ryanf86_2000/win98tips.html

Posted by: Suppafly
Date: November 26, 2001 10:00PM

its dumb to try and get rid of IE its part of the system.. its the same idea kde uses with konq .. the same stuff is used by the file manager, web browser and various other things that use toolbars and windows..

Posted by: Ryan
Date: November 26, 2001 11:35PM

IE is not part of Windows.

You can safely remove it and then install the Windows 95 Explorer shell, thats as deep as their so-called "integration" goes.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.