General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can I force sans-serif fonts instead serif on any website?
Posted by: paradoomer
Date: September 21, 2020 08:43AM

My laptop is really fast, but I mostly use it for reading. For that I very much like the K-Meleon — that with my dark Windows settings is fine. I love the simple and modest screens that I cleared and purged with K-Meleon. But some website prefer serif fonts for body text instead sans-serif. And I horribly hate that fucking curly serif fonts to read. Can I force my favorit font (Verdana) anyway on these website? I set it and work, but not on all website. It would be redemption to avoid that damned curly fonts on all sites. Is any chanche with K-Meleon? Can anybody help me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I force sans-serif fonts instead serif on any website?
Posted by: siria
Date: September 21, 2020 12:33PM

(_HOWTO_ fonts settings)

paradoomer
My laptop is really fast, but I mostly use it for reading. For that I very much like the K-Meleon — that with my dark Windows settings is fine. I love the simple and modest screens that I cleared and purged with K-Meleon. But some website prefer serif fonts for body text instead sans-serif. And I horribly hate that fucking curly serif fonts to read. Can I force my favorit font (Verdana) anyway on these website? I set it and work, but not on all website. It would be redemption to avoid that damned curly fonts on all sites. Is any chanche with K-Meleon? Can anybody help me?

Yeah, I can't stand Serif either. All my fonts are set to Arial. And it works. Howto:

Menu Edit > Configuration (F2) > Page Display > Fonts

The trick is to be aware that every Language group needs OWN font settings!
Especially the most frequent group by far, UNICODE, is well hidden at bottom of all settings.
Settings example (screen from KM1.6), just replace all Arial with Verdana or whatever you prefer:

Important: The minimum font SIZE etc. must also be set for EVERY single language group!

RUSSIAN / CYRILLIC:
Don't forget font settings in language group Cyrillic+Central European.
Accel bugfix/trick: someone even reported this finally made default keyboard shortcuts work with his RU keyboard too, without needing to set whole system keyboard to english first. But so far was only confirmed by this 1 user.

=============== general font stuff

VERDANA:
In the past have used it too and liked its wide characters, but meanwhile using Arial to see more text in small screen.
Funnily some people are downright fighting against Verdana!
https://davidsimpson.me/2009/03/23/verdana-must-die-for-the-good-of-the-planet/
They say Verdana was made spcecifically for TINY font size, but with normal/big size its readability were so bad it hurts the eyes (??)

GREAT info page, FONT tricks and prefs, against fingerprinting and malware attacks (DE):
https://www.privacy-handbuch.de/handbuch_21q.htm

Avoid fingerprinting by sending list of INSTALLED fonts:
But not sure for which browser versions? And perhaps breaks reCaptcha, if not logged in?
layout.css.font-loading-api.enabled = false

A secret but working Mozilla pref, since ancient times, which is never mentioned anywhere?
DOWNLOAD-permission of page fonts, from web at every visit: that pref is HIDDEN even on about:config page, must first be created manually by right-click to get it visible:
permissions.default.font = 1/2/3
(type INT / 1=load all / 2=block / 3=same domain only)
Most big websites load fonts from GOOGLE domains: fonts.googleapis.com, or fonts.gstatic.com
PROBS if blocked:
some broken navigation button symbols, AND it still sends your data to google sad smiley

If anyone has crashing probs when restoring a session, perhaps one of many possible reasons:
Someone reported a weird CRASH bug in *Firefox52* when restoring his session with 600 tabs and PAGE fonts blocked. No idea if KM may be affected too, just for info.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1464706

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2020 12:48PM by siria.

Attachments: FONTS_howto_settings-F2__Force-Sans-Serif-or-Arial-etc__20200921.png (15.4 KB)  
Re: Can I force sans-serif fonts instead serif on any website?
Posted by: paradoomer
Date: September 22, 2020 12:11PM

THX! You are great and most helpful. It works. I love my K-Meleon better and better. I have a lot of browsers but I only use them when it is necessery.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.