General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
issues on Win7
Posted by: clackmannan
Date: June 06, 2018 02:14PM

So I thought I'd try KMeleon as my default browser on Win7, except I have a problem in that it doesn't actually run. Apologies if this covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything that looked appropriate.

When I click on the KMeleon icon on the start menu, nothing happens. It only actually runs if I right-click and choose "Run as administrator". Is that normal?

Additionally, if I run it under Dependency Walker and profile it then it refuses to run with the error "requires elevation". Is that just the way it works, or did the install get screwed up somehow?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: issues on Win7
Date: June 09, 2018 06:10PM

You need to start off as admin BEFORE you install the desktop version.
I use both that and the 75.1 portable, though I understand now that 76 has a portable but I didn't see the .paf.exe extension, so I'm waiting, and John Haller has reported that some of 76 isn't really open source, so he can't port {just yet} to the PortableApps Platform.

Now I disabled UAC during installation of W7 because I'm the only user of this machine and can lock it physically, with a real life key. That is what you should have done or you just didn't give yourself or your account full admin priveledges,
which you should have. I just wanted to get going at boot, like I did with 2000 and XP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 06:12PM by Lone Browncoat.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 09, 2018 09:41PM

Am no expert for that modern Windows stuff, but look if your KM folder contains an empty file "profile.ini". All 7z-versions do. The existence of that file tells KM where it shall look up the profile folder: if it exists, KM shall work portable and use (+create) the profile folder inside it's own program folder. If that file does not exist, KM will use (+create) the profiles in the systems user app data folder.
My guess is now that you unzipped it into the (restricted) program folder, and KM has no right to create the profiles folder in there.
suggestions:
-either remove the file profile.ini and automatically use the profiles in the user folder
- or create manually a folder "K-Meleon/Profiles" inside KM's program folder, and allow it manually for write actions (right-click/something with permissions...?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 10:05PM by siria.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: August 15, 2018 11:29PM

well said siria

totally agree with Lone Browncoat about disabling UAC in Win7 when it is first installed; makes things much easier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 11:29PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: August 16, 2018 08:01AM

KMeleon 75.1? LOL. I still don't understand why old and outdated non-maintained versions of KMeleon are available to download, even thinking that KMeleon Goanna 77 is by far the best version up-to-date with weekly releases, providing nice security and friendly browsing. Furthermore, it's so unbelievable that KMeleon 77 has not been released yet as stable version considering the amount of releases, maintaining/development process and so forth since almost nine months ago. @roytam1's big work is invaluable, and he doesn't deserve an "unofficial version" forever. With all my respects to anyone, obviously. n_n

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 16, 2018 08:08AM

4td8s
totally agree with Lone Browncoat about disabling UAC in Win7 when it is first installed; makes things much easier

I don't know if lowering security standards of an OS is a good idea.
I am on Win7 and have no problems running portable software.

Posted by: hermes
Date: August 16, 2018 03:44PM

@J.G.

KMeleon 75.1? LOL. I still don't understand why old and outdated non-maintained versions of KMeleon are available to download...

Probably because it's not chrome : ) Or why not everyone is using Windows 10 exclusively now?! The availability of older versions is very useful for many reasons. And it's not just the old OS or specific features of versions (some functions are irretrievably lost with new releases). It's also about plugins, extensions and their correct functioning. Some may use older version to read saved pages and other documentation without going to online (so for example, historically i read documents at work using Opera 8.54 and at home using KM 1.5.4, due to minimum consumption of resources and high speed).

Returning to KM 75.x (as in 74.x), in this branch work of FLASH in frames functioning as it should. Unfortunately, in branch of KM 76.x (and Gecko, and Goanna) FLASH operation has significant defects (such as loss of focus and problems with controls). roytam1 does an epic job and greatly reduced these problems, but they are not completely eliminated.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: August 16, 2018 06:16PM

hermes
@J.G.

KMeleon 75.1? LOL. I still don't understand why old and outdated non-maintained versions of KMeleon are available to download...

Probably because it's not chrome : ) Or why not everyone is using Windows 10 exclusively now?! The availability of older versions is very useful for many reasons. And it's not just the old OS or specific features of versions (some functions are irretrievably lost with new releases). It's also about plugins, extensions and their correct functioning. Some may use older version to read saved pages and other documentation without going to online (so for example, historically i read documents at work using Opera 8.54 and at home using KM 1.5.4, due to minimum consumption of resources and high speed).

Returning to KM 75.x (as in 74.x), in this branch work of FLASH in frames functioning as it should. Unfortunately, in branch of KM 76.x (and Gecko, and Goanna) FLASH operation has significant defects (such as loss of focus and problems with controls). roytam1 does an epic job and greatly reduced these problems, but they are not completely eliminated.

Your words make sense, as always. You are a more experienced user than me and I learn more and more reading your answers, so thank you very much for your kind attention. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 06:18PM by J.G..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.