General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Progress bar question
Posted by: ryuu
Date: November 21, 2001 07:38PM

Hi!

I found K-Meleon today and what can I say, it is already my favourite browser.
However one little thing irritates me a bit ... my progress bar does not seem to
do anything while loading a page: It stays blank all the time. Particularly annoying
when it loads a page designed with tables, because the page stays white until it finishes loading and I can't see any progress from the progress bar smiling smiley (I'm on a 33.6 modem line ...). Is this a problem with K-Meleon or a problem with my system? (K-Meleon 0.6 on Win98 SE). When I click "Back", the progress bar does show activity while re-rendering the page, so it's not completely broken smiling smiley

One other thing .... Can I change the window background / scrollbar background colours? They are quite bright (white/almost white), much brighter than any of my windows system colours ...

Thanks in advance for any help. (And thanks to the developers for this great product!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Progress bar question
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 21, 2001 07:47PM

Ryuu,

Add this preference to your prefs.js file:

user_pref("browser.display.background_color", "#RRGGBB");

where RRGGBB = the RBG color code that you want to use for your background color.

I can't help you with the scroll bars. Someone else might be able to tell you want you need to do.

Andrew

Date: November 21, 2001 07:53PM

Thanks for the quick reply, that does it at least for the windows background (not for the scroll bar though, but then there's hope that this is too in the Mozilla prefs .... could have thought to check them out myself smiling smiley)

Date: November 21, 2001 08:20PM

Hmmm. Now that I surfed over to www.mozilla.org to get a preferences list, I noticed that the progress bar does work there (and on google, too). However, it does not work on the kmeleon forum pages, and not on several other pages I tried today.

Does it work for everybody else on the kmeleon forum pages?

BTW I now added user_pref("browser.display.use_system_colors", true); to my preferences file, and suddenly, the colours look familiar smiling smiley

Posted by: po
Date: November 21, 2001 10:58PM

well, if use_system_colors didn't take care of the scrollbar background, you can delete the file scrollbar-slider-bg.gif in the embed.jar file in the k-meleon\chrome directory...

--- po

Date: November 22, 2001 12:57AM

as for the progress bar, it seems to depend a lot on what type of page you're viewing... i suspect that pages where it 'doesn't work' are pages that have a lot going on server-side to put them together, which the local progress bar can't really track... one of the things i always hated about IE was the way the progress bar would creep along at what was apparently a 'minimum rate' even when NO packets were arriving, as if to keep you from losing interest or something... i'm glad this one doesn't do that.

--- po

Date: November 22, 2001 06:21AM

True, that I wouldn't want either smiling smiley I still haven't figured out on which pages it work and where it doesn't. Well, one of the pages where it doesn't work is mine, and there isn't really that much going on server-side, just a static HTML document, you can see that it renders the pages piece by piece while loading, but the progress bar keeps silent. Well, I guess it wouldn't matter that much if I wasn't behind such a sloooooow connection smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2001 07:27AM

betcha mine's slower. =)

i guess i'll start paying more attention to the progress meter's behavior, with my brain in Pattern Recognition mode...

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 22, 2001 09:18AM

Does your site use frames? I don't know, but it may only show the progress of the main frame.

-- Jeff

Date: November 22, 2001 09:41AM

Nope, no frames. As I said, it happens on this exact site here (kmeleon.sourceforge.net) as well ... No progress in the progress bar. I'm not sure what it does on pages with frames, I think I haven't been on any yet with K-Meleon smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2001 10:29AM

hmm... my initial thought that maybe it has something to do with the .php pages seems to have been dead wrong... it doesn't seem related to that. maybe something to do with the particulars of the server involved? i don't know what information the progress bar uses, exactly... some kind of packet header information that isn't alway included? i don't know that much about that stuff, but i'm curious now...

developers, is the progress bar a part of gecko, or unique to k-meleon?

--- po

Date: November 22, 2001 10:39AM

...and observing the behavior of IE's progress bar on the sites where k-meleons 'doesn't work', i see it doing the slow, automatic (and apropos of nothing) crawl i mentioned above, then suddenly fill when the page is done loading... so for all practical purposes, the IE progress bar isn't 'doing anything' on these pages either... they've just taken some dubious steps to try to disguise the fact.

so it doesn't look like it's REALLY a k-meleon issue, for whatever that's worth.

Date: November 22, 2001 11:33AM

I just tried it (with this site) with both Mozilla 0.9.6 and Opera 5, and both their progress bars seem to work fine. (Although it's not so easy to tell, since I am on my company's leased line now). I wonder if maybe the pages where it doesn't work in K-Meleon and IE do not return the length of the file ... I'll try to find some time to check the HTTP headers of the servers. (Unfortunately I'm supposed to work here smiling smiley)

Date: November 22, 2001 11:38AM

It seems to be just that. Here is the HTTP header from google.com:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:34:44 GMT
Server: GWS/1.11
Connection: close
Set-Cookie: PREF=ID=02fd494374bc9fdb:TM=1006428884:LM=1006428884confused smiley=nFK-PRAe8mY; domain=.google.com; path=/; expires=Sun, 17-Jan-2038 19:14:07 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 2217
Cache-Control: private

And here from kmeleon.sourceforge.net:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:35:14 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) PHP/4.0.6
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.0.6
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

(I hope this copy&paste doesn't get all messed up ...)

So I would guess that K-Meleon (and IE) determine their progress by comparing what they already downloaded to the Content-Length as sent by the server.

Now I only wonder what Opera, Netscape and Mozilla do instead smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2001 11:49AM

I've been reading and thinking some more and have come to the conclusion that Opera, Netscape and Mozilla are probably cheating on those sites that do not send Content-Length headers smiling smiley

Now if I could only find out how I tell at least my own server (Apache) to send that header ...

Thanks everyone who answered! Now I don't really know whether I prefer that K-Meleon continues to handle it like it does, or that it would cheat as well =)

Date: November 22, 2001 05:36PM

well, maybe in the future, k-meleon can be configured to 'cheat' for those who are unnerved by empty progress bars =)

or maybe the servers will get configured so as to make everything happy.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.