General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
STATISTICS 🎲
Posted by: siria
Date: September 18, 2018 09:49PM

Some K-Meleon statistics from a data-collector site. Came across this page while researching useragent strings. No idea how accurate this is, but at any rate there are actually still a couple K-Meleon users out there :O :cool:

All listed K-Meleon versions among their visitors:
https://myip.ms/browse/comp_browsers/1/browserName/K-Meleon
1 	K-Meleon 76.0    2,663 ip
2 	K-Meleon  1.5    1,444 ip
3 	K-Meleon 75.1      506 ip
4 	K-Meleon 74.0      469 ip
5 	K-Meleon  1.1      378 ip
etc.
KM76 - USERAGENTS:
https://myip.ms/browse/comp_browseragents/1/browserID/6868/browserID_A/1

KM76 LAST VISITS from countries
https://myip.ms/browse/myip/1/browserID/6868/browserID_A/1

KM76 LAST VISITS of the most frequent STRING (1x) with countries
https://myip.ms/browse/myip/1/agentID/1902791/agentID_A/1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 K-Meleon/76.0

All browsers, most frequent from all eras:
https://myip.ms/browse/comp_browsers/Computer_Browsers.html
1  Google Chrome 41        9,547,937 ip
2  Internet Explorer 8     2,440,425 ip
3  Android Webkit 4        2,096,495 ip
4  Internet Explorer 11    1,566,447 ip
5  Internet Explorer 9     1,386,674 ip
6  Google Chrome 37        1,178,449 ip
7  Google Chrome 36        1,073,059 ip
8  Google Chrome 23          925,090 ip
9  Internet Explorer 7       840,447 ip
10 Internet Explorer 10      830,720 ip
etc.
Scaring - Chrome, Chrome, everywhere tons of Chrome, and not only since yesterday sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: STATISTICS 🎲
Posted by: gordon451
Date: September 19, 2018 06:42AM

That's because most users are lazy. Compare browsers to motor vehicles:

IE is a truck.
It is quite configurable, but you need to know what you are doing. It can be hardened up like you wouldn't believe, but (as with JS) you lose a lot of bling. And it was the only browser ever that allowed parents to securely lock offensive websites away from their children.

Netscape is, fortunately, dead.
Like a dodo. The devs lost the plot.

K-M is a sports car.
Very highly configurable, but not in the same way as IE. But again, you need to be clued-up.

FF & Opera, older family sedans.
Some configuration, Opera more than FF, but FF had and still has reliability problems. And Opera was inhaled by Mozilla.

Chrome & etc, current family sedans.
No real-world configuration. Look under the hood of any car later than 2005: all you can see is black panels and 4 or 5 yellow objects (well, they're yellow in Australia). Coolant filler, oil filler, dipstick, brake fluid and auto transmission dipstick. That's all you are allowed to touch.

Most people are very happy that all the work must be done by somebody else. It means that all the problems belong to somebody else as long as you don't fiddle. So why wouldn't you go for Chrome? Just let it do automatic updates (like Windows, to fix the designed-in weaknesses) and Google takes responsibility. As long as you don't fiddle, which you won't because you don't have time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 06:42AM by gordon451.

Posted by: Mello
Date: September 19, 2018 04:55PM

Chrome is like a gas guzzling sedan with a 1960's jello suspension.
This notebook is 1.6ghz with 2gb ram and Chrome is very laggy on it.

It doesn't help that an increasing number of sites are optimised
for Chrome, it's an unvirtuous circle.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 19, 2018 11:33PM

Very strange list.

It seems to show the data for smth like 2015, not newer...

OK, 2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 11:33PM by rodocop.

Date: September 20, 2018 12:17AM

Hehe, thanks for that enjoyable read about cars, LOL! grinning smiley

rodocop
Very strange list.
It seems to show the data for smth like 2015, not newer...
OK, 2016

No, what makes you think so?
If you click the "last visit" links, those are always from today, so it's definitely updated all the time, and certainly calculated automatically.

Or do you mean the Other-Browser statistics? Chrome41 perhaps?
Yes that massive advance looks strange, but the current Chrome68+69 and other current browsers show up too, so the statistic itself must get updated continually.

Have now done a bit research and that advantage seems explainable: Chrome 41 was the last one still running Java and Silverlight and other NPAPI plugins ("by default", but soon that ability was removed completely too, as usual) And Chrome42 was the last version running on Android4.0, so if those users were stuck with 42 anyway, but wanted plugins, they'd probably keep 41 too. Google's release cycle is about 6 weeks, and Chrome41 is about 10x stronger as other versions. 9x6weeks is roughly a year. So, if those users kept Chrome41 just one year longer, resisting updates (is that possible?? or WAS it at the time yet?), this version could really have 10x times more hits...
(just wondering if such effects wouldn't happen for other versions too, or if there are yet more pushing reasons for version41?)

Posted by: J.G.
Date: September 20, 2018 10:43AM

Statistics:

I have 1 amazing big chicken.
My neighbor has no chicken.
We all have .5 chicken each.
smiling smiley

- I have now KM76RC2pro, KMG77, Chrome, Edge and Firefox, and I had Vivaldi, Opera, Comodo, Palemoon, Seamonkey, Maxthon, Waterfox, Basilisk...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 10:50AM by J.G..

Date: September 20, 2018 02:53PM

Why KMG77 is not listed in the statistics by the way? :mad:

Date: September 20, 2018 09:35PM

J.G.

Is that meant as a real question or kidding??
KMG77 has 20 IP-hits in that statistic above, but being called since the beginning "version 76.0", those hits land of course in the pot for "version 76.0".

And if I remember right, you were always the first one to jump at me, all angry, whenever I tried to point out how wrong and problematic it is to use the very same versions for KM-goanna and KM-gecko. But you're not alone of course, rather it's me who's alone with my opinion. And just recently I've even been called "completely unfair" to request even the tiniest and invisible update in version.ini numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 09:39PM by siria.

Date: September 21, 2018 01:12PM

siria
J.G.

Is that meant as a real question or kidding??
KMG77 has 20 IP-hits in that statistic above, but being called since the beginning "version 76.0", those hits land of course in the pot for "version 76.0".

And if I remember right, you were always the first one to jump at me, all angry, whenever I tried to point out how wrong and problematic it is to use the very same versions for KM-goanna and KM-gecko. But you're not alone of course, rather it's me who's alone with my opinion. And just recently I've even been called "completely unfair" to request even the tiniest and invisible update in version.ini numbers.

I asked my question about KMG77 considering the fact that its own useragent is 76.0, not 77.0. Doesn't should the useragent be changed first before to touch some internal versioning status? Anyway, @roytam1 is the developer and he's the responsible of the numbering. My favorite KMeleon useragent is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9 K-Meleon/77.0 I also used some others with the '77.0' reference in the past, and also 76.0, I like so much useragents. smiling smiley

I agreed you about your ideas in a later post of mine. If you didn't noticed it yet, please follow the provided link below and please read it again. It's not good to suppose about the "angry" mood of someone through a forum. I am a young student who is almost all day happy, despite of my visual disabilities. Sometimes people will agree you and sometimes don't, however it doesn't mean that those people be angry. I'm sorry for the misinterpretation. :O

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,147689#msg-147689
"I haven't noticed the importance of your point of view. Considering your well explained reasons I think you are completely right and I can't agree more."

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.