General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
kmeleon gecko/goanna 76.x on XP SP2
Posted by: ben
Date: November 18, 2020 12:37AM

hello forum,

Please can you inform me if goanna version of kmeleon, (for example 76,3 latest) is capable of running on an SSE only cpu chip or not?

my machine here is SSE only (not SSE 2) and is on winXP SP2.

When i downloaded Goanna and tried it ...the machine just reboots with a kernel32 error just before reboot.

the chip is (mobile athlonxp 1500+) with mmx and sse and 3dnow.

75.1 of kmeleon runs fine on the machine.

Would it be that i need to do some type of special upgrade to Goanna?

thanks

Ben

any replies you send would be greatley appreciated if you also sent them to my email.

THANKS

EDIT: removed mail address for privacy purposes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2020 04:10PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kmeleon goanna 76.x
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 18, 2020 12:46AM

ben
hello forum,

Please can you inform me if goanna version of kmeleon, (for example 76,3 latest) is capable of running on an SSE only cpu chip or not?

my machine here is SSE only (not SSE 2) and is on winXP SP2.

When i downloaded Goanna and tried it ...the machine just reboots with a kernel32 error just before reboot.

It is not about SSE2. It was removed as requirement on 76beta3, unless roytam re-introduced it on Goanna build, but it requires Service Pack 3, otherwise you would receive a BSOD and/or a reboot, as you do, and I do, with Service Pack 2.

Date: November 18, 2020 04:47AM

yes john

i replaced my win XP sp2 kernel32.dll file......with the sp3 kernel file.

THis allowed version 76RC to run......but that is the gheko engine.

non of the goana's engine versions will run on sp2....it seems

it is very confusing with the version numbers and names.

hmmm.........may try "new moon" just out of interest.

yes, normally it's SSE stuff that can cause issues............but it's service packs in this
case.

thx
ben

Date: November 18, 2020 04:48AM

non of the goana's engine versions will run on sp2....it seems (even patched with sp3 kernel32.dll)

Re: kmeleon goanna 76.x / Windows XP SP2 sad smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: November 18, 2020 12:32PM

ben
non of the goana's engine versions will run on sp2....it seems (even patched with sp3 kernel32.dll)

Too bad sad smiley sad smiley

If you need a browser with a modern engine for XP SP2, try perhaps MyPal (by Feodor2), it seems to get a lot of praise.
There are also some more XP-forks by roytam1 (posted on MSFN), but no idea which of those run on SP2. E.g. also quite popular and with modern engine seems Basilisk/Serpent...
From reading the forums I sometimes wonder if K-Meleon is the only of such adapted browsers needing SP3 sad smiley

Date: November 18, 2020 04:03PM

ben
yes john

i replaced my win XP sp2 kernel32.dll file......with the sp3 kernel file.

THis allowed version 76RC to run......but that is the gheko engine.

non of the goana's engine versions will run on sp2....it seems

Gecko based version is, for whatever reason, more friendly on errors than Goanna build, that requires, yes or yes, Service Pack 3 and with a gift of crashes and reboots.

Don't know why. Only roytam can answer to this.

Replacing the dll does nothing and if you did just that, that won't solve the problem but may cause problems to your system. You'll need the full Service Pack 3 applied.

ben
but it's service packs in this case.

Without any doubt.

ben

Yes, no one will work. Full Service Pack 3 or nothing.

ben
hmmm.........may try "new moon" just out of interest.

Personally (not offence to roytam I hope) I prefer MyPal, as siria points above these lines as one of the alternatives.

Anyway, running one or the other you'll be at par with latest PaleMoon version. Sure you won't have the K-meleon benefits but at least you could browse the latest webs (mostly) under Windows XP SP2.

And, as siria says, it is so sad that K-meleon is one of less resource hungry (if not the least) and more machine specs friendly and it is the only one that requires the higher requirements on OS sad smiley

Date: November 18, 2020 07:58PM

siria and john..

thanks very much for your replies here. The replies are fast and effective.

Your mentions of other interesting web browsers is greatly appreciated.

i am 50 and over the years of my love for computers, i simpley refuse to throw
away any working computer.

i have machines here with chips from 1993 that are perfect working PC computers.

i often use TinyCore linux on the machines. It will run on almost anything but
it's proving more difficult to get any reasonable web browser on a machine of
20 years old now.....year 2000.

However, this does not make an old Laptop useless because some Linux distros
contain the "scrcpy" tool that allows you to beam any 10 dollar android phone
screen over to your laptop in full screen....... and use the keyboard and mouse.

so the laptop becomes very useful as a fully fledged android laptop for free.
...... again this is possible via free tools like "floating apps" from the
play store........ which makes andoird pretty much operate like windows.

kmeleon has served me very well over the years and it was just one particular
website that i am addicted to which no longer works on version 76RC or below....it needs at least
76.1 or above and the goanna engine now.
(i asked the devs to fallback the web site.....maybe they will)

i always know how to get the most use evn out of 30 year old Laptops.....it just takes
a while to figure stuff out.

There are about 9 pc's here....4 laptops and 5 desktops......they should function for ever
really. Their condition is near perfect. (i enjoy buying bargains on ebay and giving out
the fully useful machines to people.....via methods above)

my favorite browsers have varied over the yeras and Otter was not half bad.....
linux has some nice , very slim browsers like Luakit...and kweb. epiphany also runs
okay on a pi-zero computer new at 5 bucks......also "scrcpy" runs on a pi-zero.

Links is stll a nice fast browser on win32, 64 and linux.....always renders, and never crashes.
netsurf is interesting on both platforms........but those browsers are mearly for fast web
pages. (they are not veyr compliant)

best wishes then

ben

Date: November 18, 2020 08:33PM

you don't know if MYPAL is ssE chip complaint?......or does it need SSE2?

the web site does not seem to state any requirements about hardware.

i only have SSE

thanks

ben

Date: November 18, 2020 09:39PM

Can't tell, if it doesn't work, probably it is SSE2, but in a quick search I found this, NewMoon SSE only:
http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/pmxp/index.htm

Have a look, as it tells, at your own risk.

I understand your point about old PCs. Most of us here have low end or old PCs. Even though, myself at least I find some battles lost, but hats off for you winking smiley I wouldn't have that tenacity winking smiley

Posted by: anonymous
Date: November 18, 2020 09:57PM

@Ben
Never had your OS or used those browsers, but Roy labels them nicely. Package names ending in "-sse.7z" and "-ia32.7z" should be compatible with SSE CPUs. Look for manifest modifications for XP SP2 in his forum.

rtfreesoft<dot>blogspot<dot>com/search/label/browsers

Date: November 18, 2020 09:57PM

i checked and only new moon is even SSE and it does not run html5 video
which most of my desirable web sites use

so new mooon is no good for me.

i will just burn an alpine Linux CD.....it's an operating system that runs live in RAM only.

i will boot it off cd disc.....then i will install the screen mirroring tool and use my android
phone on a large laptop screen ........this is a very good and cheap and modern computing experience
on very old machines....

thx

ben

Date: November 18, 2020 11:15PM

hi anonymous...

you are right that there are some ia32 builds of baletisk (a pale moon fork) which work on almost
any cpu chip and also have html5 video support.

they say they work on win xp....but they don't stipulate which version.....win xp sp3 only..... maybe.....?

i will try it on the win xp sp2 machine with an SSE chip..........

(it's possible that it may just about RUN on this laptop via a RAM DRIVE and be usable for my needs
(at a push))......it will be a very close shave.

thx

ben

Posted by: siria
Date: November 19, 2020 12:00AM

@ben
Search for the posts of smallhagrid here in this forum.
IIRC he has a very similar situation as you, and is also running Linux and multi-systems on old hardware, and just recently posted how happy he is now with some of those alternative browsers.

Have also read somewhere that some tiny Linux (perhaps same as yours, not sure), which can even be started on a Win98 machine, can run Wine and this can run perfectly fine those modernized XP-browsers.

Regarding NewMoon, of course it runs html5 videos. Just be aware this is a generic name for all PaleMoon forks which don't have an own name yet, therefor several people use it for their different forks and easily confused. If looking for the latest one from roytam1, browse through his new domain https://o.rthost.win
He's also maintaining (Basilisk)Serpent forks for XP.

At the MSFN forum there are also a few hardcore retro fans, especially Wunderbar98 who was first having fun with 98 and then stepped back yet further to DOS, also just for fun, and is now enjoying Links browser for DOS! He's also restoring ancient hardware very carefully. I know you're on XP, just saying because you sound like twins grinning smiley
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-vanilla-windows-98-in-2020/?do=findComment&comment=1190423
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181853-links-web-browser-community-edition-for-dos-with-tls-12/

MSFN-forum:
Topic for RT's XP-browsers:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/
other XP-topics:
https://msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2020 12:03AM by siria.

Date: November 19, 2020 02:59AM

you are very kind people.....thanks

thanks for your continued interest in keeping hardware alive and keeping the older generation operating systems.

it is amazing that win98 can run some flavor of Linux then wine and thus allow modern browsers
to operate.

i love to discover new software avenues that protect older hardware into the future.

a recent discovery for me was "FFPLAY" tool which is a full multimedia player contained inside FFMPEG.
the player works great on windows and linux if you have the correct versions.

FFPLAY will also work on the new $5 dollar raspberry pi zero computer...... giving you full multimedia playback
and youtube via linux versions like "Pi-core" from the tinycore foundation.

.....so you can have a nice new desktop computer for about 4 dollars that can do a great deal. Pi zero.
youtube videos show you all of this stuff.

there is a youtube video that shows you how to plug you Pi zero into any Laptop and get full usage over
just a single USB connector. (20 cents).

it is a nice way to run a pi zero

.....also the pi zero can run "scrcpy" tool and allow you to beam
your android phone screen over to a fullscreen laptop.....giving a new lease of life to very old laptops.

You end up with a fully fledged Android Laptop for free......

new $10 android phones have very good cpu power and together with free apps
such as "floating apps" it becomes just like a windows styled desktop experience via "scrcpy" tool

You can also run any windows software on android in various ways such as the free "cameyo" tool.
There are also free unlimited Linux servers in the cloud at onworks.net

.......i once worked at a computer recycling place........you cannot begin to believe the wastage because
its utterly perplexing.......wheelie bins filled with ram cards...?...100's of thousands of dollars woth or ram
just thrown away in city's....

i will try your advice about browsers.....many thanks guys and girls

ben

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: November 19, 2020 06:03AM

Greetings Ben & Siria.
Just to add a bit of clarity in addition to what Siria suggested...

I am, right now, using my 'daily driver' PC which has very current h/w & Ubuntu Mate 18.04.5 as its OS - BUT=>
The browser being used for this reply & other tasks is an older one - Mypal 27.8.3 (32-bit) running via WINE.
(Mypal browser is based upon Pale Moon & adapted for Win XP and 2003.)

At the same exact minute, I also have Basilisk 2020.10.29 (64-bit) open & running directly in Linux.
Basilisk is made by the Pale Moon team and some other folks.

On this same PC I do have VMs of older M$ OSes that I can use if I need to - but mostly there is zero need for them to get powered up at all because Linux easily covers all my needs either directly or via WINE.

I do also have some older h/w that gets used occasionally - like the stripped down NB which runs XP SP2 but is not used for anything needing any internet connection.
Nothing of mine uses XP SP3 as I do not accept or approve of the changes that SP made to the OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2020 06:05AM by smallhagrid.

Date: November 19, 2020 01:11PM

siria,

this link was very useful

https://o.rthost.win/

because under the kmeleon list.......he has about 20 versions for Goanna 76......(it's not called that it's just called

KN-goanna...

but if you go to the last entry in that list.....Dec 15th 2018......this version plays HTML 5 video where-as the first version in the list (30 places earlier) does NOT play html5 video.

anyhow, any version of GOanna 76 will run on win XP SP2 if you patch the kernel with the sp3 "kernel32.dll" file like i have done here. So it's working just like i needed for the web sites i needed.

so KMELEON survives again.....on a 20 year old laptop for me. It may be good to go for another 6 months before my favorire websites update and break browsers again...

thanks a lot.

(i don't recommend patching kernels unless people know what they are doing)
but it's very stable here on all software and the hardware is fine. It actually makes the machine perform slightly faster.

if anybody wants the winXP SP3 "kernel32.dll" file then i have it here....

to patch it, you must boot Linux on the target machine, open the "windows system 32 folder" and replace the kernel file with the one i just mentioned. (700 kilobyte file)

it was this forum that mentioned that trick........

in my example here the kernel trick gets (Kmeleon KM-Goanna-76) working on this "winXP-sp2 SSE" Laptop for the websites i need with html5 video.

anything above (KM-Goanna 76) crashes a winXP SP2 machine to reboot.........that's anything about GOanna 76......such as 76.1

to re-iterate......KM-Goanna is actually KM-Goanna 76..... he just did not use the number 76. (we don't know why)

ben

Date: November 19, 2020 01:13PM

........that's anything above GOanna 76......such as 76.1 etc

Date: November 19, 2020 01:49PM

the second note DOWN there.......mentioned the kernel trick and that it therefor allows "KM-Goanna 76" to work
on a winXP sP2 machine with SSE

i can state that it does work.

he wrote a little script to try to make it easier for people to patch in a different "kernel32.dll" file....
(that could be useful for people who don't know any other way to patch over a fresh kernel file)

i happened to use other means to achieve my goals and it works fine.

ben

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143901#msg-143901

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.