General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
...Dead in the water...
Posted by: gordon451
Date: December 26, 2020 11:00AM

We have no means of propulsion, and no means of steering.

The latest releases by roytam1 are using the 4-year-old Goanna 3 engine which simply cannot keep up with current web technology. Goanna 4 was released August 16 2018, it is already showing wrinkles, and it would seem Goanna 5 is probably getting pre-release testing -- I expect that to appear sometime in mid-2021.

The current K-M shell cannot use Goanna 4, certainly not G-5. It needs a complete rewrite to enable new hooks so the Windows APIs can access the new engines. (And I do not have near enough coding skills.)

I am finding every week a website KM76.3.1G cannot render. Dropbox is the latest, I gave up on DeviantArt weeks ago. My bank failed to render in this version (-20201205) about 2 weeks ago, I have to use PM28.14.1 for that.

roytam1 is doing a fabulous job with weekly upgrades, unfortunately this is not enough.

So what can we do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ...Dead in the water...
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 26, 2020 04:54PM

gordon451
So what can we do?

Nothing.

Unless you are a programmer smiling smiley

Posted by: Mello
Date: December 27, 2020 08:34PM

So what can we do?

1) Accept the limitation and use a 2 browser system: K-m + Another.

To make things easier

2) Move "send link to" (another browser) from the context submenu into the main context menu

3) Set up an easy key combo to "send page to" in another browser.
Ctrl+ (a letter)

4) Keep both browsers open from the beginning of each session

I've been doing this for ages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 08:35PM by Mello.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: January 01, 2021 01:57AM

Mello
1) Accept the limitation and use a 2 browser system: K-m + Another.

I've been doing this since Netscape was a boy. And kept doing it even when Netscape became a disaster zone and IE showed us how it should be done, and when FF was telling us what sites it would let us surf to. This was when IE was enabling site child-safety ratings client-side, that FF didn't want to care about and Netscape insisted should be (Netscape) server-side...

So currently I have one browser which will securely open any page I point it at (Pale Moon 28), one which which will insecurely open almost all pages (IE11), and one which no longer has adequate security and cannot open many pages I need to visit (K-M).

I'd offer to upgrade K-M, but

(i) I need to learn C, C#, C++, XUL and JS;
(ii) I need to learn Windows APIs for 7, 8 and 10; and
(iii) how to work GitHub and pulls and commits and...

Oh. And a new computer with 10 on it 'cos I'm very sure this machine with 7 won't be able to compile for 8 or 10.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.