General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Secure connections breaking at slightest interruption in KM1.x
Posted by: siria
Date: December 16, 2018 08:31AM

@devs
What I've been wondering, is it possible you could add a clear function for "authenticated sessions" in KM?
Like even retrozilla/FF2 has? (my theory is that probably the KM-Gui was developed from an even older FF version a decade or longer ago, and since then hasn't evolved anymore) Most other "clear" functions seem to be contained, created by privacy.dll AFAIK. Am greatly missing that function in old KM1.6, hoping that it would avoid . having to restart the whole session whenever a connection to a touchy website is interrupted accidentally for a split second. Usually just by loading a little bit too much simultaneously on ultraslow connection. Am aware KG76 is much advanced, but only a matter of time until things degrade there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 06:01PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.2 (Build 20181215)
Posted by: anonymous
Date: December 16, 2018 01:45PM

OFFTOPIC

@siria
Don't know what happens if your connection is interrupted. Update your Gecko 1.9.1 K-Meleon 1.6 kmprefs or click on "evaluate" with this in Console2 input:
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/security/sdr;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsISecretDecoderRing).logoutAndTeardown();
Components.classes['@mozilla.org/network/http-auth-manager;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIHttpAuthManager).clearAll();

Re: Secure connections breaking at slightest interruption in KM1.x
Date: December 16, 2018 07:43PM

anonymous
Don't know what happens if your connection is interrupted. Update your Gecko 1.9.1 K-Meleon 1.6 kmprefs or click on "evaluate" with this in Console2 input:
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/security/sdr;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsISecretDecoderRing).logoutAndTeardown();
Components.classes['@mozilla.org/network/http-auth-manager;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIHttpAuthManager).clearAll();

Thanks for the tip! Getting hope again for old KM1.x, but doesn't seem to help against this prob, touchy websites blocking current session at the tiniest interruption :-/ Usually if just loaded too slowly, too much stuff at the same time and parts timing out, or sometimes interrupted manually (Stop or Escape-key). Getting a new IP (disconnect/connect) doesn't help either.

I have no clue of network and connection stuff, but to give more details:
If the connection breaks for the current doc domain, the "error_no_cypher_overlap" shows up, although the site worked fine until that moment, and will again after next KM restart.
If the broken domain is at first only a subdomain, e.g. for images or styles, the main page still shows partly.
The statusline jumps wildly between "connected... connecting.... connected... connecting.... connected..." until finally giving up.
And often the error page is just "Connection Interrupted while negotiating, try again" But trying again helps only in normal cases, not on those touchy domains.

No idea if the broken domains kill all encryption completely in that moment, or jumps to suddenly requiring a 'higher' encryption.
Could well be due to missing TLS1.1/1.2 in KM1.x, but nevertheless in the next session those same sites WORK fully again, with lower encryption. Roytam's KG74 has TLS1.2 and is not affected (often the last rescue now, but probs with my system)

An easy example to reproduce (in KM1.6 updated beta 2.5/2.6):
load any page at amazon.de (logged out, cookies etc blocked), and while still loading hit Escape. Cannot get anything of that domain to load again until a browser restart.

my current prefs, but tried other settings too and seems to make no difference:
security.enable_tls = true
security.tls.version.min = 0
security.tls.version.max = 1

Date: December 16, 2018 11:22PM

@siria
Opening a web page isn't just one connection. All entries in greprefs/security-prefs.js should exist and may be used if enabled. Some ciphers, even if they exist, don't work in your browser in 9x. SSL stops working if that happens. Disable all security.ssl3.* entries except one that works and connect. Repeat that to create a list and do not use the renego setting.

Gecko 1.9.1. has no tls.version.min/max preference settings.

Date: December 18, 2018 06:51PM

@siria
Sorry if I was wrong again.
Only tested in newer Windows versions. Browsing different Amazon pages shows no "error_no_cypher_overlap" in KM 1.6 (fork) with NSS version 3.12.9. Used ESC key and stop button to abort loading.

security.enable_ssl3 = false

HTTP Monitor should list the connection that silently crashes your security libs. Scroll down to the last entries.

Date: December 18, 2018 10:58PM

anonymous
Only tested in newer Windows versions. Browsing different Amazon pages shows no "error_no_cypher_overlap" in KM 1.6 (fork) with NSS version 3.12.9. Used ESC key and stop button to abort loading.

security.enable_ssl3 = false

Thank you for testing! It always helps greatly to have a second tester with a different installation. As initial result, your hint that KM1.6 isn't necessarily always broken caught me by surprise, being so used to modern websites kicking out old browsers more and more. So my usual reflex is to just try with Opera12.02 or rzbrowser2.1 or KG74. Now your post made me test even older KM1.5.4, and big surprise again: despite its age it is NOT breaking sessions!! Very interesting. Then tried KM1.7alpha2, and it keeps them too (still regret greatly that injectJS etc is broken there)

So, well possible the culprit is something in my personal KM1.6 installation, not just the 'modern web'. Will have to do more testing...

-------
In general again, regarding that authenticated-session-function in other gecko browsers, still think KM should get it too. It must have an important function or they wouldn't have it - I suppose...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2018 11:03PM by siria.

Date: December 20, 2018 09:03PM

@siria
I'm still interested to know what happened in your KM1.6 browser.

-------
The teardown command can be used to stop all active downloads (Bug 1446645). Killed some GitHub downloads with one click ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.