General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to Never override a Pages Colors ?
Posted by: db
Date: May 12, 2021 01:51AM

Greetings All;

Please tell me how to Set K-M76xx to: Never Override colors specified by a Page ?

Thank You for your help, dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Never override a Pages Colors ?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 12, 2021 09:13PM

Does it?

By default K-meleon shouldn't change any color.

Those of you using the Goanna build, does it change colors?

Date: May 13, 2021 02:19AM

Hello John;

I tried K-M 76.2 and on some Web Pages it does appear to change at least 1 Color, making them unreadable?
I am sorry I can not give Y'all a better answer.

Regards, dennis

Date: May 13, 2021 01:00PM

Could you post a screenshot or a web example pointing what colors are changed by K-meleon so others can test?

By the way, if you don't have further reasons, try the latest Goanna build 76.4.3 http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,154431

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 01:01PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 14, 2021 02:35AM

A Solution that works for K-M 76.2 ( can not say about other Releases ) :

Go to Pro > Advanced Management > Firefox-style Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Colors >
Override the colors specified by the page with my selections above:

Default: Only with High Contrast themes
Select: Never
Click: OK

Hi John,

Yes, I did try K-Meleon 76.4.3 and the behavior is the same, only I have not found a way to change that one yet.
I do not quite understand why the Developer does not merge in the Extra features from 76.2 Pro, since work on it seems to have ended?

Thank You for your kind help, dennis

Posted by: siria
Date: May 14, 2021 07:01AM

I do not quite understand why the Developer does not merge in the Extra features from 76.2 Pro, since work on it seems to have ended?

Everyone too short on time and busy with lots of other stuff.... but you can help yourself partly:
Copy over the extra macros from rodocops KM-Pro (from KM/macros/....kmm)

Date: May 14, 2021 02:15PM

Without an example I can't help further.

K-meleon, tied to the system colors, as it uses the same interface by the OS (not as Firefox), may "change" colors for form elements (inputs, button, etc) by default. But is not a change, is apply your OS theme (but I think that FF or seamonkey applied it too).

Beyond that, can't help further.

In the other hand you talk about K-meleon Pro. Note that that specific build is an user custom made that is being shared here, specifically by user rodocop and are tweaks and enhancements not set by default, or not expected by new users. It is the same as if I post my own personal K-meleon setup.

I can't tell why some features weren't merged, or not, as that isn't on my hands :-|

A solution is what siria has already told.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2021 02:18PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 20, 2021 02:51AM

Hello John;

I had to make Y'all 2 Screenshots so ya can see the differences.
IE 10.1, FF 52.9, MyPal 29.1.1, Pale Moon 29.1.2 & SeaMonkey 2.49.5 all display these various
Web Pages correctly, as shown in SeaMonky.jpg. K-Meleon 75.1, 76.2 pro & 76.4.3G do not,
so please view K-Meleon.jpg.

I wrote to Rodocop 3 1/2 Weeks ago, to see if he was ever to update 76.2 Pro, no responce.

Sincerely, dennis

P. S. ( " A house divided against itself cannot stand " )

OK, so I finally was able to create your ScreenShots, only this Editor wiil not let me Paste an image here and I can not find how to add an Attachment to a Forum message,
so Please tell me how to get these 2 small Graphics Files to you kind folks ???

Posted by: siria
Date: May 20, 2021 06:07AM

Please test if this works:
Open URL "about:config" and look for this pref, set it to "2":
browser.display.document_color_use = 2

If not found, right-click to create it (type is INT / Number)

(alternatively you could begin to start considering to some day try what I recommended before, to copy over the Pro macros)

A browser restart is probably required after changes.

Date: May 20, 2021 03:09PM

db
OK, so I finally was able to create your ScreenShots, only this Editor wiil not let me Paste an image here and I can not find how to add an Attachment to a Forum message,
so Please tell me how to get these 2 small Graphics Files to you kind folks ???

You can upload them to an image hosting like postimg.cc or imgbb.com (with expiration times too, if you don't want the images to be online "forever").

An url to test ourselves would help too.

Date: May 21, 2021 02:51AM

Dear Siria;

" ... browser.display.document_color_use = 2 ... "

Yes, I changed it from 1 to 2 and then Restarted K-Meleon, most unfortunately No change.
Also, Yes I do plan to try to " Copy Over " the K-M Forks eventually.

I greatly do appreciate Your time & great efforts, dennis

Date: May 21, 2021 03:02AM

Greeting John;

OK, John I did my best. Please tell me if I got it right and you all are able to view the .JPEGs ??

Thank You for your considerate help again, dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 01:42PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 21, 2021 01:43PM

Wow, wow, wow, wow... that is beyond the topic subject. This is not a colouring issue. This is a compatibility issue with the engine.

What version did you use for K-meleon screenshot? I tried with a Goanna build from January this 2021 (and so should be the same with the newer builds 76.4.x, but didn't test) and the page renders exactly as Seamonkey.

If I do with my 75.0, yes, it renders badly as your screenshot, but because it is old.

But as said, is a rendering issue with the engine version. Nothing to do with colour rendering.

Click over to view expanded

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 05:42PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 21, 2021 08:04PM

Might be you are browsing the site without JavaScript enabled?

Date: May 22, 2021 02:33AM

Hi Siria,

I had thought about:config was the place to start, only I looked and saw there are about
a zillion entries. Do Y'all have a document that tells what each item actually does ?

Cheers, dennis

Date: May 22, 2021 02:51AM

Greetings John;

" ... is a rendering issue with the engine version. Nothing to do with colour rendering. "

I am sure you are right, only I did Not know enough about how it all works, to ever say either ( I am not sure I even quite know the difference ) ?

I believe that I ran K-M 76.2 ( I'm sure it was not 75.1 ) in order to take your Screenshot.

I did not change anything yet ( except what Siria asked me to ), so JavaScript is as it came when I Downloaded it.

Thank You again for your great efforts, den

Date: May 22, 2021 01:03PM

db
I believe that I ran K-M 76.2 ( I'm sure it was not 75.1 ) in order to take your Screenshot.

Should I guess, so, 76.2 Pro by your previous posts?

Anyway, you talked about some versions, and you had the same issues with all, right?

You are leaving me without any more ideas XD, unless test every version you talked about.

Anyone else could test too?

Date: May 22, 2021 02:00PM

I just tested on a virtual machine the latest Goanna build (20210522) and the 76.2 Pro on Goanna and both work with that site.

:-?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2021 02:00PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 24, 2021 01:56AM

Hi John;

In: about:config java.script = False
OK, So I set java.script = True and then it would Not display the Page in K-M at all ( i.e. blank )?

Please give the specific Date of your " January 2021 " Release and I will try that one ( are you hinting that is the most stable recent version).

Later, den

P. S. ( "If it ain't broke, don't fix it " or " Leave well enough alone " )

Date: May 24, 2021 02:18AM

Hi John;

I stopped using 75.1 right away and Yes you are correct, it is 76.2 Pro. I went back to it when I had trouble with 76.4.3.
I am sorry, there are so many releases of that one, I forget which one I Download. Now I have had other
problems with it and so I am completely confused as to whether it is K-M or just Operator Error !

I apologize for taking up so much of your time & energy and Siria's too. Please let me work on it a while with
all the excellent Information You All have given me and I will try to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I wish Y'all the best, den

Date: May 24, 2021 02:45PM

db
Hi John;

In: about:config java.script = False
OK, So I set java.script = True and then it would Not display the Page in K-M at all ( i.e. blank )?

Weirdest XD, blank page with javascript.enabled to true?

db

Please give the specific Date of your " January 2021 " Release and I will try that one ( are you hinting that is the most stable recent version).

Note that I'm not saying that this version is, or it was, stable, just the latest I had in the virtual machine for testing purposes winking smiley:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,153118,page=6#msg-154293

db
Now I have had other problems with it and so I am completely confused as to whether it is K-M or just Operator Error !

I don't know, but it is certainly weird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 02:46PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 26, 2021 03:05AM

Hi John;

Our ISP changed its Proxy Server, causing the extra Errors, so it was not K-M (or me)!

I tried all 3 options in "Override the Colors" twice each, none really worked right.
If You can see the full Drawing tool Palet, as in SeaMonkey.jpg, then perhaps I have another
Item set incorrectly in my copy of 76.2 Pro? How is your Pro: Options>Content>Colors>Override
Set To: Always, Only with High Contrast themes or Never ?

The last thing I want is to waste time (Yours or mine) trying many Versions of any Browser.
All I wish is to know which You believe is the most stable one in the past 6 months or less?
Now I tried both 76.2 Pro & 76.4.3G a couple more times each & they look different, neither right.

Sincerely, dennis

P. S. (Mozilla docs say this is a Bolean? ) (K-M has it as Integer in about:config) browser.display.document_color_use; user set; integer; 1)

Date: May 26, 2021 03:11AM

Hi John,

Very well I will try that release.

Thank You some more, d

Date: May 26, 2021 01:57PM

db
Hi John;

Our ISP changed its Proxy Server, causing the extra Errors, so it was not K-M (or me)!

I tried all 3 options in "Override the Colors" twice each, none really worked right.
If You can see the full Drawing tool Palet, as in SeaMonkey.jpg, then perhaps I have another
Item set incorrectly in my copy of 76.2 Pro?

I can't tell what is happening on your side.

db
How is your Pro: Options>Content>Colors>Override
Set To: Always, Only with High Contrast themes or Never ?

The default value that it has out of the box. Can't open the virtual machine now.

db
The last thing I want is to waste time (Yours or mine) trying many Versions of any Browser.
All I wish is to know which You believe is the most stable one in the past 6 months or less?
Now I tried both 76.2 Pro & 76.4.3G a couple more times each & they look different, neither right.

Don't ask me. I'm still using 75.0 tongue sticking out smiley Due OS constrains and personal preference.

But, as replied to your PM, is not about stable versioning, but latest rendering capabilities. And then, so, the latest 76.4.x Goanna builds.

db
P. S. (Mozilla docs say this is a Bolean? ) (K-M has it as Integer in about:config) browser.display.document_color_use; user set; integer; 1)

Note that that preference is to override webpage styles. Well, not exactly. Colors. Your issue, as told above, is a rendering issue, not a coloring issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 01:58PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.