General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Questions about Profile Names
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: July 20, 2021 06:44AM

As it looks to me a(ny) Profile Name is just an arbitrary combination of characters (consisting of numbers and letters). The Profile Name seems to be used only inside the folder "Profiles" (where the folder with the profile name and ".default" is residing) and inside the file "profiles.ini" (where this profile name is mentioned – and what is appearing when K-Meleon starting up; specially if you have more than one profile inside the Profiles folder).

Questions:
1. Is the profile name mentioned anywhere else (besides as folder name and mentioned inside the profile.ini)?
2. is the profile name really arbitrary – or is there any kind of rule how it will be named when creating a new profile?
3. Would it be possible to give any kind of "clear name" at this point (i.e.: change the name of the profile folder and adapt the profiles.ini accordingly)?
4. Would it be possible to put the location of the profiles folder elsewhere (and not inside the K-Meleon or KM-Goanna) folder structure? If yes: what .ini-File (or else) to modify accordingly? Or is just the "Profiles" folder mandatory – and then insdide the profiles.ini the path would be declared absolutely (or relatively with appropriate ../../own_user_data/browsers/k-meleon/ etc. if on the same volume but in another folder structure)?

Btw: what is possible (and what I did) is putting more than one profiles into the "Profiles" folder – and to still be able to use these profiles in an installation with only one profile: I put each profile into a separate folder named with the profile name only (without the ".default") so that I do not have to touch the profiles.ini of each profile; but then only the "central" profile.ini has to be edited (including the appropriate profile name folder location).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about Profile Names
Posted by: siria
Date: July 20, 2021 07:50AM

Choosing specific profile folder location

Am not a dev, just my 2 cents:
1) not sure but doubt it...
2) not sure but it sure "looks" arbitrary, so why shouldn't it be...
3) not 100.00% sure but ready to bet you can invent own names - just try and see? This is KM ;-)
4) Single profile folders can definitely be placed anywhere, that was confirmed in the past by some users. Free location choice, manual editing of path needed in INI.

Multiple profiles in default locations are easily managed by traditional Profile Manager (menu Edit > Manage Profiles).
But manually editing of profileS.ini is possible too, just the harder way.

For the whole ProfileS folder and profileS.ini I'm familiar with the 2 default locations:
inside KM (portable) or in the Windows user app data folder.
Which one is used depends on the the existence of THIS file at startup: K-Meleon/profile.ini (no "s", file can be empty)

If the whole ProfileS folder can have a path of own choice, am not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if possible too? A few experts probably know. Otherwise would search in old wiki or in forum somewhere, or ask Google, perhaps even search for info on old Firefox profiles (mostly using same methods)

What is definitely possible is to START K-Meleon with a specific hardcoded profile path in the SHORTCUT link (look for commandline options)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 07:54AM by siria.

Re: Questions about Profile Names
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 20, 2021 03:03PM

Voltaire
1. Is the profile name mentioned anywhere else (besides as folder name and mentioned inside the profile.ini)?

profiles.ini

No.

Might appear on prefs.js inside profile folder too depending on the "add-ons" you install.

Voltaire
2. is the profile name really arbitrary

Up on creation, yes... (continues below)

Voltaire
– or is there any kind of rule how it will be named when creating a new profile?

3. Would it be possible to give any kind of "clear name" at this point (i.e.: change the name of the profile folder and adapt the profiles.ini accordingly)?

...then you can edit it in profiles.ini file and even you can rename the profile folder.

Have in mind that this might be tricky (not difficult) and a thread of mine is somewhere in the forum on how I lost all my profiles.

profiles.ini is... temperamental, to say the least.

But, to date, I have all my profiles with a single name (not whatever.whatever) and, of course, it works.

[Profile0]
Name=the name you want to be shown on profile selection and when using command line "k-meleon [-new] -P profile name" (better to use the profile manager just to rename)
Path=path, any given folder name/path (depending on the line below, if it is relative or absolute (letter:\path)), no necessarily the same name as the above
IsRelative=0 or 1
Default=1 (this one is related to the value needed to ask to open, or not, a profile and so open the defaulted or highlighted)
If you plan to edit profiles.ini and profiles folder: backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup.

Did I say backup?

And never edit profiles.ini while K-meleon is open. NEVER.

Voltaire
4. Would it be possible to put the location of the profiles folder elsewhere (and not inside the K-Meleon or KM-Goanna) folder structure? If yes: what .ini-File (or else) to modify accordingly? Or is just the "Profiles" folder mandatory – and then insdide the profiles.ini the path would be declared absolutely (or relatively with appropriate ../../own_user_data/browsers/k-meleon/ etc. if on the same volume but in another folder structure)?

Of course, read above. That is the utility of the IsRelative value, to place the profile elsewhere. I haven't tested the dot, dot, slash, though. Looks like it works with dot, dot, slash, even with too many of them.

Maybe you prefer an absolute path, despite it makes it un-portable.

As well, K-meleon root\profile.ini tells anywhere you want to set the main profiles path. This can use dot, dot, slash, because I already have like this.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/ProfileLocation

Voltaire
Btw: what is possible (and what I did) is putting more than one profiles into the "Profiles" folder – and to still be able to use these profiles in an installation with only one profile: I put each profile into a separate folder named with the profile name only (without the ".default") so that I do not have to touch the profiles.ini of each profile; but then only the "central" profile.ini has to be edited (including the appropriate profile name folder location).

It is fine.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 03:24PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.