General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Accesing K-meleon websites since 2021-11-01 if domain expires
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 16, 2021 05:59PM

The following text is valid while there are no changes on kmeleonbrowser.org domain and/or SourceForge project site management

As of 2023-01-23, the domain got renewed until 2025.

As of 2022-09-10, the domain got renewed for another year.
As of 2021-10-13, the domain got renewed for another year.

What is happening?
    There is uncertainty about if this is going to happen or not, but since quite a long time there is no administration on the server side of this site, including the domain name you are accessing to right now, this is kmeleonbrowser.org.

As a result of the above, on the 1st of November of the current year 2021, the domain could expire and that will affect the website accessibility. The whole site won't be accessible.

To take advantage over the future events, despite are unsure, this FAQ is being posted for guidance for current users.

What will happen to this site?
    As told above, the whole site will be inaccessible if the domain expires and it is not renewed.

There would be an exception: the forum...; it will work, partially, through kmeleon.sf.net and kmeleon.sourceforge.net.

Why will it happen?
    To date, the server is setup to redirect the "native" project website URL at sourceforge servers, kmeleon.sourceforge.net, to kmeleonbrowser.org. This means that every time you type kmeleon.sourceforge.net, you get redirected to kmeleonbrowser.org. Try it, if you don't believe me winking smiley

Without server settings management, there is no way to avoid this.

I intentionally avoided to talk about kmeleon.sf.net and you'll understand why now.

Sourceforge provides two URLs for the project website, kmeleon.sf.net and kmeleon.sourceforge.net. kmeleon.sf.net is just a simply redirect to kmeleon.sourceforge.net.

With the current setup, kmeleon.sourceforge.net is also a redirected to kmeleonbrowser.org, so, if you try to access the site through the native URLs, you will end in kmeleonbrowser.org without any chance to avoid it by server settings.

The schema of this functionality, and if nothing of the said above changes, is as follows, being kmeleonbrowser.org inaccessible since November.

kmeleon.sf.net ✓ ↓ kmeleon.sourceforge.net ✓ ↓ kmeleonbrowser.org ✗

So, is all lost?
    Yes, and no.

As told above, the forum would be accessible after this thank to a little setting. Most probably without any other problem, except re-login under kmeleon.sourceforge.net.

But the rest of the site will need a tweak on your system. Sadly, for those not aware of it, K-meleon website will join the forces of the Deep Web. It will be there, but you won't access it without knowing how.

Ok, stop rambling and tell me how!
    Your PC needs to know what IP is pointing a domain so it can access the destination. After the expiration of kmeleonbrowser.org, your PC won't know of any IP to translate it to so could access it, so you'll need a method to tell it to the system.

For this you will need to edit the hosts file of your operating system. This will enable your PC to access the whole site again.

What is the hosts file?

The hosts file is a file that the OS checks first to find out what IP is pointing to some domain name requested through a DNS lookup (Domain Name resolution, aka, domain to IP) every time it is requested by the OS or an application/program.

The location of this file will vary depending on your operating system vendor and version. You can check at Wikipedia where it is on your system:
      Hosts file Wikipedia article ( ht‌tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file) )

How do I edit it?

The file contents are lines with a pair of IP and domain name as follows, telling which IP is the destination for that domain:

# a hash symbol will be a comment
# [IP number] [space or tab] [domain name]
127.0.0.1	google.com
# in the above line we have told that the google.com domain 
# points to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), that is the local IP of our OS/PC.
    What will I have to add then? How do I find the IP I must write?

First of all you need to find the IP that points to the Sourceforge servers that host the K-meleon project website.

To do it you need to do a DNS lookup.

For this, you'll need to use tools. Depending on your OS, you'll have available ones or the others. On recent Windows version you'll have nslookup and on *nix OSs you'll have dig, but there are others.

There are also some online websites that resolve domain names to IPs.

To make the DNS lookup, you'll need to type the following, example with nslookup:

nslookup kmeleon.sourceforge.net

Updated on 2022-10-05:
nslookup vhost.sourceforge.net

This will give us an IP address. To the date of writting, this is 204.68.111.100.

So you'll need to add (or edit if already exists) to your hosts file a line like:

204.68.111.100	kmeleonbrowser.org

After that, save hosts file (I haven't told but you can open/edit with a simple text editor) and when you type kmeleonbrowser.org in your browser url bar you will be able to visit the site again.

All this just means that current site visitors aware of the K-meleon project will continue accessing the site, but newcomers won't be aware of the main site.

Also, with luck, maybe search engines like Google, Bing, DuckDuckgo, Qwant and others will, at least, find out the forum at kmeleon.sourceforge.net, but that only the future will tell.

Anyway, here comes a couple of links for them:
http://kmeleon.sf.net/forum/
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/
(to date this link will look as kmeleonbrowser.org, by some forum settings, despite it is, actually, kmeleon.sourceforge.net )

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2023 10:54PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accesing K-meleon websites since 2021-11-01 if domain expires
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: October 09, 2021 02:30AM

This seems like it could be sad news in how it could diminish attendance very much.

Silly questions, perhaps:
1 - Is this just a matter of paying for renewal of the kmeleonbrowser.org domain ??

2 - What about -IF- it does expire & can then be picked up by someone who wishes to help keep this forum alive - is that a workable possibility ??

Even though I now rarely use KM, I still visit this site daily to get my 'fix' of certain things - especially Panzer's threads.

If there is some way to contribute in the aim of keeping it alive just as it is right now, I'll be glad to do so.

Date: October 09, 2021 03:11PM

smallhagrid
Silly questions, perhaps:
1 - Is this just a matter of paying for renewal of the kmeleonbrowser.org domain ??

Yes.

But wouldn't be a reason if, also, SourceForge site wasn't setup the way it is setup.

Note that the forum, thankfully, won't be affected... much.

smallhagrid
2 - What about -IF- it does expire & can then be picked up by someone who wishes to help keep this forum alive - is that a workable possibility ??

If that person has knowledge in DNS management, my opinion is that is up to that person.

The same way any person could take the domain and redirect people elsewhere.

smallhagrid
If there is some way to contribute in the aim of keeping it alive just as it is right now, I'll be glad to do so.

The same as above. Up to the person that wants to contribute.

Personally, I won't/can't get involved, beyond the forum administration. I'm just making the announcement of what is going on to make visitors aware of what could happen.

If anyone wants to do something about it, is up to that one and any collaboration group could be created or anything else.

P.S.: moving this thread to General so there is no need of post approval.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 04:29PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 09, 2021 08:07PM

So - ultimately, this is just a matter of either paying for the domain registration or getting a very similar domain & pointing it at the forum via DNS.

I just looked and for example used a very slightly different name - and right now that .org domain is just $8.88/yr - normally $12.98/yr.
Truly not a huge problem if it means keeping this forum alive.

Even when the current registration expires - and if it was then $12.98/yr - I will be happy to personally re-register it to keep it going as it is and may only need a little help knowing what to put at the DNS settings for it to keep working.

This is a combination of my long standing appreciation of KM and this forum as a gathering place for folks who share valuable info & insights.

It will be best to keep it going - simple as that !!

Date: October 09, 2021 09:13PM

smallhagrid
So - ultimately, this is just a matter of either paying for the domain registration

Yes, if that is a wish of anyone.

smallhagrid
or getting a very similar domain & pointing it at the forum via DNS.

No, because SourceForge sites is a shared space, so it is a virtual server for any project site, not only K-meleon one, and no one here can setup the K-meleon project site to accept that other new domain to serve the site.

All this could have been "simpler" if, instead a redirect, kmeleonbrowser.org had a CNAME subdomain (as www) to kmeleon.sourceforge.net, that would had enabled both domains living together, with its drawbacks, of course, but "simpler".

smallhagrid
I just looked and for example used a very slightly different name - and right now that .org domain is just $8.88/yr - normally $12.98/yr.
Truly not a huge problem if it means keeping this forum alive.

Even when the current registration expires - and if it was then $12.98/yr - I will be happy to personally re-register it to keep it going as it is and may only need a little help knowing what to put at the DNS settings for it to keep working.

This is a combination of my long standing appreciation of KM and this forum as a gathering place for folks who share valuable info & insights.

It will be best to keep it going - simple as that !!

If anyone is willing to pay, as I said, is up to anyone who chooses it, but needs to have in mind what I just have said in this reply.

Also, if anyone is thinking of keeping kmeleonbrowser.org alive, there is a deadline before it is available for anyone to purchase rent, and the site would become inaccessible (not the forum, I insist) for almost 3 months:

https://docs.gandi.net/en/domain_names/renew/deadlines.html#o (docs from the current registrar)

Unless the above instructions are followed in the meantime.

Date: October 10, 2021 12:48AM

In support of continuity I have updated my gandi account and made a support ticket asking specifically about kmeleonbrowser.org, thusly:

This domain is soon expiring.
The owner is unreachable & admins do not have access to it here.

I would like to cover its renewal fee so as to keep that domain alive.

How may I do that, please ??

Thanks.

Adding to this discussion - what if I were to register a very similar domain name as I said earlier, then just use domain forwarding to either kmeleon.sf.net or kmeleon.sourceforge.net ??

Then folks may have a direct domain to use in reaching this forum as I understand it...

Thanks for your time & attentions to this matter !!

Date: October 10, 2021 08:51PM

smallhagrid

Adding to this discussion - what if I were to register a very similar domain name as I said earlier, then just use domain forwarding to either kmeleon.sf.net or kmeleon.sourceforge.net ??

Then folks may have a direct domain to use in reaching this forum as I understand it...

What do you mean by forwarding, a redirect to kmeleon.sf.net or kmeleon.sourceforge.net?

What would happen then is that the last link of that chain, this is kmeleon.sourceforge.net, will redirect to kmeleonbrowser.org as it is the current setup in the project site server, so people will use that similar domain, then redirect to one of the native subdomains (kmeleon.(sf.net|sourceforge.net)) and then redirect to kmeleonbrowser.org giving an "Address Not Found" error in the browser.

As I already told, the project site can't be setup to accept that domain as available for the site project, so even pointing directly to the site won't change anything.

In my opinion, it is better to live in the forum as kmeleon.sourceforge.net (as always has been prior the release of K-meleon 74, when was enforced the domain, as the domain was older), and avoid headaches with new domains.

And follow the instructions above to "fix" the issue with kmeleonbrowser.org and the main site.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 09:10PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 10, 2021 09:40PM

Thanks for this important info. Must admit in these horrible times I don't have enough spare time and brains for such tech stuff anymore, but glad to have saved the page+info, for later study in case disaster may hit (still hope not, and also hoping my old disk doesn't break down either then, lol)

But currently still hold hope for dorian to fix it, after all it's still 3 weeks left. And who knows, perhaps he has an automatic payment set up... He's vanished since so long already, and in former times too, so that fact alone doesn't worry me too much (yet)

Date: October 10, 2021 10:20PM

siria
But currently still hold hope for dorian to fix it, after all it's still 3 weeks left. And who knows, perhaps he has an automatic payment set up... He's vanished since so long already, and in former times too, so that fact alone doesn't worry me too much (yet)

Automatic renewal should have happened already:
https://docs.gandi.net/en/domain_names/renew/automatic_renewal.html#how-does-it-work

If the last possible renewal date is after the expiration date

In case of .org this is 45 days after expiration.

then the automatic renewal will occur 31 days before the expiration date instead.

Posted by: JohnTHaller
Date: October 11, 2021 07:44PM

I could handle the domain registration and DNS pointing via our PortableApps.com hosting if it would help.

PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Date: October 11, 2021 08:19PM

Never mind, all I could say is already told above.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 08:53PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 12, 2021 10:10PM

YAY !!

Reply from Gandi=>

As I can see, the domain kmeleonbrowser.org has been renewed by its current owner, for a1 year period until 1st November 2022.

For your information, a domain registered with Gandi can be renewed by using any other Gandi account, by simply following this procedure:

https://docs.gandi.net/en/domain_names/renew/how_to_renew.html#renew-from-gandi-s-home-page

So...it looks like we all got worried - and now can be happy here for another whole year.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 12, 2021 11:15PM

Great news, smallhagrid!

But... who is this Gandi? :O

Date: October 13, 2021 01:23PM

smallhagrid
YAY !!

Reply from Gandi=>

As I can see, the domain kmeleonbrowser.org has been renewed by its current owner, for a1 year period until 1st November 2022.

For your information, a domain registered with Gandi can be renewed by using any other Gandi account, by simply following this procedure:

https://docs.gandi.net/en/domain_names/renew/how_to_renew.html#renew-from-gandi-s-home-page

So...it looks like we all got worried - and now can be happy here for another whole year.

I missed that Renew/kind of donation button by third parties. Anyway, is up to anyone willing to pay.

For me, the worry persists. Must left someone around willing to pay. The next year, start over again.

Call me pessimistic, but I'm split between considering this good or bad news. Personally, if I could, of course, I'd dump the unmanageable domain name and just use the SourceForge project URLs. Less headaches. But I'm looking it from kind of a background perspective.

rodocop
But... who is this Gandi? :O

Gandi is the registrar. Somehow, the lessor of the domain name in name of ICANN/IANA. An agent for them (agent registrar), would be correct to say.

Date: October 14, 2021 02:40AM

Greetings Rodocop & All.
I am very glad to see that this trouble has been postponed.

Given my own appreciation for this resource - at only $ 17.20/year, when we once again
have some income, I'd be tempted to donate a couple of year's renewal onto it so as to assure its longevity.

Better still IMO would be if someone with the proper access level would be willing to use one of the Phorum to phpBB tools to allow this entire site & content to be hosted at a non-SF provider with a slightly different domain registered for it - which again, I will be happy to assist with should the opportunity arise.

I don't use gandi myself anymore as I found that Namecheap is much better (IMO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2021 02:43AM by smallhagrid.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: October 15, 2021 11:50AM

I am very happy for these good news! Thanks to you all! grinning smiley

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: October 15, 2021 09:40PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First this made me depressed.
Then I tried to understand the combusrome difficult process of renewal by more difficult language tand style by JH and others (it passed out of my head)
Then Siria gave some hope.
JH dimissed that hope and made me more sad.
and ....... i kiss smallhagrid! he avoided a possible heart attack.

Thanks smallhagrid!

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: October 15, 2021 09:43PM

smallhagrid
Greetings Rodocop & All.
I am very glad to see that this trouble has been postponed.

Given my own appreciation for this resource - at only $ 17.20/year, when we once again
have some income, I'd be tempted to donate a couple of year's renewal onto it so as to assure its longevity.

Better still IMO would be if someone with the proper access level would be willing to use one of the Phorum to phpBB tools to allow this entire site & content to be hosted at a non-SF provider with a slightly different domain registered for it - which again, I will be happy to assist with should the opportunity arise.

I don't use gandi myself anymore as I found that Namecheap is much better (IMO)

Thanks you so much smallhagrid, we love you

Date: October 15, 2021 11:37PM

So, I'm the devil here? Just trying to warn people

What I understood by the reply from Gandi to smallhagrid, is that it was Dorian who paid silently, "out of normal timing" (if so by automatic renewal), not smallhagrid. Or maybe it was Hellar, from PortableApps.

Anyhow, one more year with kmeleonbrowser.org domain name.

But, despite my language, keep the instructions of the first post just in case.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2021 10:18PM

Really great news that it was paid, but I'm postponing the hurrays a bit until confirmed here too...
https://www.whois.com/whois/kmeleonbrowser.org

Date: October 17, 2021 01:48AM

That page lags behind toooo much. It was instantaneous:

Domain Name: kmeleonbrowser.org
Registry Domain ID: D149626956-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.gandi.net
Registrar URL: http://www.gandi.net
Updated Date: 2021-10-11T19:18:10Z
Creation Date: 2007-11-01T17:22:31Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-11-01T17:22:31Z

That was an excerpt from Nirsoft's Whois command line utility (compatible with Windows 98, if you want to give a try) that queries the whois servers directly, or you can provide one (if you know the one to provide from the TLDs hierarchy):
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/whoiscl.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2021 01:38AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: kalepf22
Date: June 11, 2022 04:11AM

I guess wayback machine will come in handy for information. Guess legacy video for youtube and comments would at least inform people what happened to the browser, as dumb as it sounds it's spreading info that counts. Although I'll refrain from browsing unsafe waters, it's still good to know a part of history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 04:15AM by kalepf22.

Date: October 05, 2022 12:57AM

A little update on this topic smiling smiley But nothing to worry smiling smiley

First of all, the domain was paid for another new year smiling smiley (thank you to whoever did it)

And the other thing is that the first post serving as manual, just in case expires, has been updated to reflect a change made by SourceForge recently.

You couldn't imagine, to date, the huge number of bots trying to violate servers perimeters. Well, actually you suffered in the past, being this site totally down.

As a response, SourceForge decided to use CloudFlare reverse proxy to mitigate it. The problem with this is that their project websites domains, this is any whateverproject.sourceforge.net (in case of this site kmeleon.sourceforge.net) now don't connect directly to the project webpages server, but, instead, go to CloudFlare and then, if they think that you aren't a bot, they serve the site by themselves.

So, long story short, that means that the above manual telling that you should nslookup kmeleon.sourceforge.net is not valid anymore. Now it should be issued towards vhost.sourceforge.net as follows.

nslookup vhost.sourceforge.net

That's all, sorry if I worried you winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2022 01:06AM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.