General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Which version runs on Windows 95
Posted by: proob
Date: May 07, 2022 03:19AM

i am currently attempting to do modern web-browsing using a VM running windows 95, i tried the latest version of K-meleon but it didnt work, so i tried an older version (1.1.6) the setup ran perfectly but the browser doesnt run properly so i would like to know which version is the most suitable for windows 95.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which version runs on Windows 95
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 07, 2022 04:43PM

Modern web-browsing and Windows 95 in the same phrase is... quite an impossible. You should try the MSFN forums for advices on kernel updates for the operating system, or something similar, to be able run updated software on it.

If 1.1.6 doesn't run (I don't understand what you mean by perfectly) you should start going backward as of 0.8.2 or even earlier, but, then, we are talking about versions that, if 1.1.6 isn't capable of modern web, by its aged engine, earlier means worst. It will be as going back to Firefox 1 or 2.0 or so. Almost prehistoric internet. Very basic webpages would work then, and without forget that almost any page to date is served under HTTPS, and it will be a miracle to be able to access the servers in first place, but any way or the other, don't expect modern web (mainstream sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc) on anything earlier than version 74 and, even then, with barely current web standards support, even HTTPS support.

In my opinion, it doesn't worth, unless pages are very basic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 04:44PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Realh
Date: July 13, 2022 10:31PM

You should try Retrozilla.

https://rn10950.github.io/RetroZillaWeb/

Posted by: 浦东上南795路
Date: July 25, 2022 12:03AM

Also, K-Meleon for Windows 3.1 (16-bit) and Windows NT 3.1/3.5 (32-bit), is planned, this browser will greatly improve web browsing experience for these legacy systems.

Date: July 25, 2022 01:12AM

浦东上南795路
Also, K-Meleon for Windows 3.1 (16-bit) and Windows NT 3.1/3.5 (32-bit), is planned, this browser will greatly improve web browsing experience for these legacy systems.

:-?

Source?

Date: July 27, 2022 02:43AM

Source codes:
https://sourceforge.net/p/kmeleon/source/ci/kmeleon05/tree/ (K-Meleon 0.5)
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.4.1/ (Mozilla 0.9.4.1)
K-Meleon 0.5.1 (K-Meleon 0.5 with Mozilla 0.9.4.1 core) for Windows 3.1/NT3.1/NT3.5 is the alternative choice of upgrade from Netscape 4.08 to Netscape 6.2 (Mozilla 0.9.4.1) in these old systems, and this browser's resource usage lower than older 16-bit browsers, and improved these old system's browsing experince due TLS 1.2 (RoyTam1's HTTPS fix) and a few number of HTML5/CSS3 support.
If this browser for modern web compatibility is not enough, our will gradually update Gecko and/or browser version to resolve it.

Date: July 27, 2022 02:51AM

浦东上南795路
Source codes:
https://sourceforge.net/p/kmeleon/source/ci/kmeleon05/tree/ (K-Meleon 0.5)
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.4.1/ (Mozilla 0.9.4.1)
K-Meleon 0.5.1 (K-Meleon 0.5 with Mozilla 0.9.4.1 core) for Windows 3.1/NT3.1/NT3.5 is the alternative choice of upgrade from Netscape 4.08 to Netscape 6.2 (Mozilla 0.9.4.1) in these old systems, and this browser's resource usage lower than older 16-bit browsers, and improved these old system's browsing experince due TLS 1.2 (RoyTam1's HTTPS fix) and a few number of HTML5/CSS3 support.
If this browser for modern web compatibility is not enough, our will gradually update Gecko and/or browser version to resolve it.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.4.1/ is binary, source code in https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.4.1/src/

Date: July 27, 2022 11:57AM

Sorry, you got me wrong, by source I didn't mean source code, but what were your sources of information that there will be (certainty, not "would be", uncertainty) a 16-bit or NT 3.1 version.

I was asking to know if there is already a team working on it, because a proposal on "Improvements subforum" is not a guarantee, just a wish, what is nice, and I don't want to break your bubble, but, that would be hard to see, in my humble opinion.

Sorry if I'm being harsh.

Date: July 27, 2022 06:48PM

JohnHell
Sorry, you got me wrong, by source I didn't mean source code, but what were your sources of information that there will be (certainty, not "would be", uncertainty) a 16-bit or NT 3.1 version.

I was asking to know if there is already a team working on it, because a proposal on "Improvements subforum" is not a guarantee, just a wish, what is nice, and I don't want to break your bubble, but, that would be hard to see, in my humble opinion.

Sorry if I'm being harsh.
K-Meleon for Win3.1 or WinNT 3.1/3.5 (it's not my bubble) is already a team working on it, and invalid 32-bit API is changing, and 16-bit version is compiling from source code.
Backporting easiness: WinNT 3.5>WinNT 3.1>Win3.1

Date: July 27, 2022 10:23PM

Nice.

Can we have a look to it smiling smiley

Any website?

Date: July 28, 2022 10:41PM

JohnHell
Nice.

Any website?
Websites:
Change Win3.1 and WinNT 3.1/3.5 nonexistent API calls, and change parameters to prevent errors on Win3.1 and WinNT 3.1/3.5, change some processes (to solve some problems such as font display), change some compilation parameters (mainly to solve TLS 1.2 problems).

Date: August 02, 2022 09:38PM

JohnHell
Nice.

Any website?
Tutorials:

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: August 04, 2022 09:10PM

I am confused. :s

Are you porting KM to 16 bit Windows 3.1? Or is someone else? Or are you trying to inspire/find someone to port it?

Either way, I was recently looking at KM for Windows 98. Here is some information that may be helpful, or may be stuff you've already found out: The binaries for KM 1.5.4 (and earlier) use msvcr71.dll and other redistributable libraries from Visual Studio 7 which supports Windows 98 and up. Retrozilla which does work on Windows 95 has this message from the developer, "I currently do my builds on Windows 2000 SP4 with Visual Studio 6.0 and MozillaBuild 1.2. The builds will also most likely work on Windows XP/2003, and possibly Vista and above, but don't take my word on it." So, the first place to start would (I think) to try and compile KM on Visual Studio 6 and see what goes wrong. I assume there must something that doesn't work or Dorian could have just made Windows 95 binaries available from the start.

Date: September 23, 2022 08:56AM

RJJIII

Are you porting KM to 16 bit Windows 3.1? Or is someone else? Or are you trying to inspire/find someone to port it?

Either way, I was recently looking at KM for Windows 98. Here is some information that may be helpful, or may be stuff you've already found out: The binaries for KM 1.5.4 (and earlier) use msvcr71.dll and other redistributable libraries from Visual Studio 7 which supports Windows 98 and up. Retrozilla which does work on Windows 95 has this message from the developer, "I currently do my builds on Windows 2000 SP4 with Visual Studio 6.0 and MozillaBuild 1.2. The builds will also most likely work on Windows XP/2003, and possibly Vista and above, but don't take my word on it." So, the first place to start would (I think) to try and compile KM on Visual Studio 6 and see what goes wrong. I assume there must something that doesn't work or Dorian could have just made Windows 95 binaries available from the start.
I'm select inspire/find someone to port it.

Posted by: 浦东杨高795路
Date: November 18, 2022 12:04PM

RJJIII

Inspire/find someone to port it.

Date: August 16, 2023 05:03PM

浦东上南795路
RJJIII

Not just me, but everyone (include me etc).

Date: August 16, 2023 05:07PM

浦东杨高795路
浦东上南795路
RJJIII

Not just me, but everyone (include me etc).
Eveeyone also must be backport K-Meleon to OS/2 1.3 (16-bit), 2.0-Warp 3 (32-bit) and BeOS.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.