General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon does not work
Posted by: greg
Date: June 22, 2019 02:33PM

This browser seems broken. I downloaded and installed the latest version and set it as my default. I am using windows vista. Nothing happens when I double click the desktop icon. Nothing happens when I try to launch the program from the program files. I have uninstalled and re-installed and still nothing happens when I try to launch the browser. I have checked in task manager, and no K-Meleon application is listed after I have tried to launch it. It is just not responding / opening or working!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon does not start
Posted by: siria
Date: June 22, 2019 04:27PM

Welcome to K-Meleon :cool:
Am no expert for such stuff, but sometimes people get such 'mysterious' startup probs, with or without error messages. And it has been reported that the reasons and solutions can be quite different. If it was figured out at all, and the user reported back.
Often it's just permission problems for creating a new profile in protected folders.
Some suggestions from previous forum posts:

• restart the system. If necessary, restart a second time.
    Helps surprisingly often, for all sorts of probs after installation changes.
    And if a KM profile was already created, delete the folder "startupCache"
  • try to right-click and run as admin?
  • uninstall your current version, incl. profiles, and
    install the newest KM-version, posted by roytam1 today:
    http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,148500
    Don't get confused by the complicated post, some of its text is outdated anyway, over a year old. Only the link gets updated regularly with a new version, currently weekly!
    Simply download the first link, unzip it, and try to start k-meleon.exe
    Currently KM76.2: https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM76.2-Goanna-20190622.7z
    (all his KM-Goanna builds also listed here: http://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/ )
    roytam's builds are unofficial, but stable. At any rate much more stable as the official, but 4 year old KM75.1, or 2 year old KM76RC, simply because the engine is much younger.

The current goanna versions are all portable by default (in 7z package), that means by default the profile folder is created inside the KM program folder.
    That's good for testing with new profiles, but it may happen that your system refuses to create profiles inside protected folders, like c:/programs/. If that happens, either unzip/install KM outside in another folder,
    or make KM non-portable by deleting this empty file:
    .../k-meleon/profile.ini ("profile", not "profileS"!)
    The only difference is that KM will now locate the profiles in your system's user appdata directory.
  • There were more reasons and solutions for startup crashes, for example related to update.dll (if the website is down) or to a corrupted bookmarks file or to some font-related prefs, etc, but for your brandnew installation less likely.

Please report back.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 05:08PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.