General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Life is so busy BUT We Still USE K-Meleon
Posted by: WasiFH
Date: January 21, 2023 04:49AM

For me: K-Meleon is the ONLY browser I use daily. The forum is becoming quite and from my own experience of life I want to say that this quietness doesn't mean that we don't use KM anymore, WE USE IT. Just this life of modern days and responsibilities of family (after all we are no longer kids smiling smiley) doesn't allow us to participate frequently on topics.
I read the forum at least spend a minute at least daily.

SO VOTE YES FOR KM and KMG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Life is so busy BUT We Still USE K-Meleon
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 21, 2023 04:31PM

There is no activity, mainly because there might not be newcomers.

Also, the forum covers 99% of doubts and the update of the wiki pages by RJJIII might have helped too to reduce activity here.

Over 20 years of topics on this forum covers a lot of information.

Worth mention that most of the questions here were/are about settings/configuration and macro language, being the two first well covered, and the latest, well, I don't think there are left many advanced macro language users, or at least, there might be not many users taking advantages of macro language and so having coding issues, talking questions. I think I might be one of the latest XD (yeah, not very humble opinion here tongue sticking out smiley and I don't think I'm even near expertise at all)

In terms of forums visits, is steady along years (as of the latest statistics).

I might have to be blamed as well if I have set too many restrictions against spambots harm. And I assume it, but it is or a marginal less activity caused by blocks, or full spam activity as we were back in 2018 when I took the reins on the administration.

P.S.: technically this thread/posts should have been on "Anyone still using K-meleon?" thread.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 04:37PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 23, 2023 06:52PM

Hey there

I see there are still die-hard users here and that's nice grinning smiley
I was surprised to receive a donation for kmeleon so I had to come and say hi.
Also I renewed the domain name for another few years.

Date: January 23, 2023 10:19PM

Speechless.

I made you on grave, to be fair (as bad as it sounded that).

Thanks for the domain renewal till 2025.

Read the KMTeam threads, if you have time. Maybe you can answer/fix some issues.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2023 10:33PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 23, 2023 11:22PM

Don't bury me yet please, I'm not that old.
But yeah I know a few regulars here did pass away sad smiley

Is there anything I should look at in particular? But I don't think I will be of much help now.

Date: January 24, 2023 01:41AM

Dorian
Don't bury me yet please, I'm not that old.

With all the Sars-Cov-2 and old tries of contact with non-answered mails... I thought about it several times. Note a joke.

Dorian
But yeah I know a few regulars here did pass away sad smiley

I don't have knowledge, or certainty of anyone, but I could guess someone. My condolences to their families for him or anyone else.

Dorian
Is there anything I should look at in particular? But I don't think I will be of much help now.

Despite RJJIII took a break lately after revamp the wiki pages, he had some questions, so the last opened threads by him on KMTeam subforum.

Dorian
But I don't think I will be of much help now.

If it is so, I don't dare to ask anything else, as I manage the forum just on "intensive care" mode and I got used to it (changing setting and expecting to break everything).

But if you spend time here, well, maybe you see something to fix here and there.

But as I said I got used to this "state of art" and I can't think on any specific issue right now.

Maybe the most urgent a module for the forum script to moderate spammers and remove all posting bans/blocks and restrictions I have set along the years.

There have been mentioned by siria in the past and I guess I sent you a couple of mail about them too.

Maybe a database backup pre clean-up (there are errors in the admin panel) could help, or maybe not. Maybe it breaks everything.

Anyway, any further discussion about this topic, to the KMTeam suforum. I don't want to give hints to spammers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2023 01:44AM by JohnHell.

Date: February 02, 2023 02:47PM

As I said, life is busy at least mine, how could I missed Dorian post, Its nice to see and read him, very nice, and I humbly request to spend a little time , at least in your vacation , on K-Meleon. I don't know what to improve as I don't know about programming, engine etc. Can you update its Java thing? May be I write a wish list? or request? Can Gecko be updated?
So I also come to know about the donation and I will not leave myself behind, soon.

But the main thing is that we love KM and whoever contributed in its developing in any way. And thank you. Please do come here once in a while, after all KM is your child in a way smiling smiley

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 03, 2023 10:06PM

DORIAN'S back!!!

What the wonderful days!

Date: February 03, 2023 10:22PM

The one thing we definitely need - is 'officialize' KM-Goanna and may be unite some magic skills of our great devs - Dorian and roytam1.

As for me, I'm not capable as developer but still can make some promo support for K-Meleon.

Last Dorian's comeback gives me an idea that donations never could be superfluous, redundant. What about crowdfunding page for KM? I don't know, Patreon or something like this.

There are very limited possibilities to donate now from Russia, but a number of potential users still visit this site and SF download page - some of them want to development being continued and some of the some even are ready to donate.

Definitely, our devs deserve some fee, some reward for their job, their efforts lasting for years. What do you think, folks? Does it worth to create any donation project and make an announcement here and on SF?

Date: February 03, 2023 10:25PM

And yes, KM is still one of my default browsers (main at home, secondary at work). And it's potential (mainly in macrolanguage) still isn't exhausted - KM could be way more powerful and useful

Date: February 04, 2023 12:19AM

@rodocop, related and my thoughts about and to no repeat myself, on a recent thread by Wasi:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,156860,156860#msg-156860

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: February 04, 2023 04:03PM

It's Dorian! Welcome back

And yes even though I haven't been posting so much, I still use KM. I took some time to try and update the English Wikipedia article on it recently ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon ). I also use the browser frequently with a client of mine, we use a tablet new enough to run Windows 10 and Tux Paint, but to play YouTube videos, there's really no other option. Chrome is so big that it just heats the tablet up which I guess might be nice on a chilly day?

Date: February 05, 2023 02:47AM

@rodocop and JH: What makes/made K-Meleon less attractive to others is mainly because every new user has to tweak, set,adjust many things, In my opinion if some of the macros and extensions are pre-installed, and a help file/guide line be made. it will be more user friendly to others. On the basis of new users' posts here and there, I have clear opinion that people find it less attractive, less user friendly and hard/difficult to set.
Rodocop and some others gurus here may step forward and do it. Also some cosmetic effects, like making a homepage like Firefox does instead of just duckgogo.
I know that KM has such a tremendous features that no other browser has; like like click on any word and translate, like open text as link and you name them, and it has space to add more useful functionalists with macros. SOMEONE PLEASE WRITE A PROMO pointing all the features KM provides. K-Meleon features are hidden. they need to be revealed/opened.

I hope I could explain my opinion.
This is not the ending; This is the the beginning; Its my firm believe that KM was left alone to be tossed between hard core gurus and hobbyists, It was never intended to be used by common person.
My English is not so good, hope I could explain.

Date: February 05, 2023 03:04AM

WasiFH
In my opinion if some of the macros and extensions are pre-installed, and a help file/guide line be made. it will be more user friendly to others.

That's exactly the point of existance for KM Pro build - to be user-friendly, partially preconfigured and with most useful webtools built-in.

Date: February 21, 2023 03:58AM

@rodocop
Too many times I read this and a reply was in my mind but to reply a more descriptive answer I delayed and put on other time to reply but haven't find some spare time so far. Hope I will describe some points here this weakened.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 26, 2023 08:01PM

K-Meleon features are hidden. they need to be revealed/opened.

Yes exactly, ancient prob, and a little beginner guide should "somehow" be included with new builds, but who has the time etc.
Years ago I've added what little I could contribute to the FAQ.
Hmm, thinking about... and occasionally posted beginner tips in the forum, a bit here and there, when interested new users appeared... A forum search for keyword "howto" probably finds it.

For example a fundamental prob is that unfamiliar new users would hardly ever suspect that right-clicking "normal" toolbar buttons could pop up related menus. Everyone is used to find little arrows beside such buttons in other tools. But KM saves this space, what I love, having customized menus on just about every button of my 2-3 rows smiling smiley

Sigh, and the useragent macro is direly needed out of box, but rodocop, sorry to say but your beloved "special" version embedded in omni is my nightmare, needed forever (years ago) to at least figure out how to disable it at least temporarily (not even a menu for that) to allow other ones, but never understood what exactly it takes to get *cleanly* rid of it? What are the exact steps you do in omni for adding it? And is there more stuff/tweaks in omni that are changed in KM Pro?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2023 08:16PM by siria.

Date: February 27, 2023 09:20PM

siria,
this part was fully appropriated from naruman's KM74+1. So the engine there is the 'Useragent' function in KmeleonMain.js

And how I remember someone have found out the way to switch it off by changing one pref...

P.S. And I try some years to change it for your new macro, even almost translated it, but... my life refuses to give me enough time and ... will ... well... to produce new Pro-build with a number of modifications

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2023 09:33PM by rodocop.

Date: March 11, 2023 11:26AM

I am listing some topics for which I will make some guide in html format. I think that a little contribution from all of you will ultimately make a good help file / guide / intro.

For example; One topic in my mind will illustrate "Web search" from right click menu as well as "Tool" > "Web search" with screenshots and will stretch to the Preference > Search Engines etc.
As short as possible , illustrating mostly with screenshots.
Or some one pleas make a topic list.
Of course I am not capable of covering all aspects/features.
Please guide me the steps; I mean: I make a description of a topic, get screenshots, then what? have to email to JH?

EDIT1: I forget to ask you what are the good topics / features that need to be illustrated?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 11:28AM by WasiFH.

Date: March 12, 2023 12:32AM

WasiFH
Please guide me the steps; I mean: I make a description of a topic, get screenshots, then what? have to email to JH?

Oh, no, please, I don't have enough time.

What you can do is edit/create new wiki pages, or ask RJJIII for help, despite the help to edit the wiki isn't too bad, to append new pages to the docs pages.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php

WasiFH
EDIT1: I forget to ask you what are the good topics / features that need to be illustrated?

Anything that would help a newbie to understand things. That covers almost anything.

I can't suggest any specific subject.

To me, that I'm used to my own customization since almost 20 years, well, out of the box, K-meleon looks like an alien. If it weren't because, more or less, I know where are things, I would be totally lost. So I could imagine how lost are the newbies.

So a topic could be: what to do with K-meleon out of the box? Where are things?

Date: March 14, 2023 02:47AM

@WasiFH: If you want to add the content to the wiki, you can refer to this page: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/WikiHowTo (The WikiHowTo page lists all of the help documents and tools for the wiki.)

To start a new page, just put the title you want into the URL. Using CamelCase makes it easier to link within the wiki. For example, you could go to http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/HowTo or http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/GettingStarted or whatever title you want. Click EditThisPage and then Save it. You could then link to your new page as John says.

Feel free to shoot me questions or ask for assistance.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 14, 2023 11:09AM

Very useful job you're doing, thanks RJJIII.
Wasi if you'll try that (though I doubt you have the time), be aware of a killer TRAP for non-english editors: When creating or editing wiki pages intended for default English, your browser's language pref MUST start with "en..". Or otherwise the wiki page URL gets messed with a suffix without warning. And this URL can't be deleted anymore (unless perhaps by main dev), only edited to be empty, then it's treated like non-existent again.

Best check that pref even before logging in.
PREF: intl.accept_languages = "en,...."

If not aware, and your browser is set to e.g. spanish "es,...", the created Wiki URL will be .../wiki/xxxxEs
The wiki contains such pages for languages like Cs or Jp, and even pages with a useless double language suffix like xxxxRuZh.
Unless, of course, someone intentionally wants to create a page in his own language.
Another complication is that for visitors it's not always easy to get the original EN version if he wants it, the wiki stubbornly insists to show only the (usually far obsolete, or accidental) version of his own foreign language - if it exists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2023 11:18AM by siria.

Date: March 19, 2023 03:55AM

@all
Thank you for your feedback.
will do something next weekend.
I'll try to spare some time for this.

Date: March 19, 2023 03:59AM

siria
your browser's language pref MUST start with "en..".

Setting Preference > GUI Appearance > Language = English (United States)... Does this suffice?

Date: March 19, 2023 04:03AM

RJJIII
you can refer to this page: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/WikiHowTo (The WikiHowTo page lists all of the help documents and tools for the wiki.)

To start a new page, just put the title you want into the URL. Using CamelCase makes it easier to link within the wiki. For example, you could go to http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/HowTo or http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/GettingStarted or whatever title you want. Click EditThisPage and then Save it. You could then link to your new page as John says.

Oh first I need time to read the "How to guides.." but ok , it may take some time but i am willing. Thanks RJII for your guidance

Date: March 20, 2023 09:49PM

Great topic. Never seen this part of our site. While being informed about wikimarkup earlier.

Thank you all, folks!

Date: March 23, 2023 07:37AM

WasiFH
RJJIII
you can refer to this page: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/WikiHowTo (The WikiHowTo page lists all of the help documents and tools for the wiki.)

Oh first I need time to read the "How to guides.." but ok , it may take some time but i am willing. Thanks RJII for your guidance
You're welcome. You can write in plain text in the wiki. If you want to work on a page, you can start with just text.

Also, if you want to promote KM, it may be even more fruitful to reach out to websites, YouTube channels, etc.

@rodocop: Yeah, some of this stuff was pretty buried. Like the hidden PowerSearch page which lets you search by author. It even gives a URL to share with other. For example, here are pages edited by Dorian:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/PowerSearch?id=PowerSearch&q=Dorian&where=content

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.