General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: >>K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!<<
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 04, 2004 02:24PM

@ra - Yes i volunteered (obwohl mir jemand, der bei den offiziellen ist, niedere motive unterstellte) - but i can not possibly offer any help as a programer.
& Ulf feels that too many people volunteered only for testing
- see his mail from today.

Also of us postponed many other things to get a new browser for ourselves and those that want it or can use it.

Also we have probably to look through it again - as You said. Guess we tested the things we wanted ourselves more and did not realize that someone would not want certain plugins - which has consequneces on the menus. Also we were working on a general translation helper script, but i did not get it ready in time.

As it is i think official development should reconsider working with 1.7 and go to a much loser schedule. Around xmess Mozilla will be much further with 1.8.
we could have the configuration option that other browsers have and that we might
need for our newbees.

@back to own skin...yes the menus, skins and all is interchangeable with standart .
the extra FF xpi xul will not be loaded after it is deleted from installed-chrome.txt.

@Rocker-gestures: are left out because they have undesired side effects with added FF Xul such as parts of google bar. Rocker gestures also has much more kb size. the js fault Dorian mentiones makes that You can not use/move the mouse co-ordinated.
@harad sorry only westerners volunteered when asked - else there would be a Polish translation ; o ) - and maybe less problem with saving.
greetings from sunny Hannover

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: September 04, 2004 02:37PM

Okay there we go:

- The menu's were checked on layers-functions which should be disabled when the layers-plugin is disabled. We did that in the early beginning, but when I have time somewhere this week I will check it again and change it if needed. This would be for an updated build then ;-)))

- The rocker navigation gave problems with javascript menues etc... on some websites. Therefor we have chosen to use the default gestures-plugin, which is stable and without any of that kind of problems. But when you like the other plugin, it is easy to replace it (just copy it into the kplugin-directory and enable it)

- I have not planned to help with furher development of the build Ulf presented. As Dorian said, our time is now running out. I really hope other people will help Ulf, making a new build with more functionality then our build is having now, and without loosing speed. I think they can use some things of our build in a new release, but I hope they will use the newest Mozilla instead of the Moz1.7 which is used for the testbuild. At this moment on some websites our build is about 20-25 faster then the testbuild Ulf made...

To everyone: feel free to give your comments, mention bugs you have found etc.... Maybe in some sparetime we can repair/ change/ add things and make an updated build..... But at this moment I think that this build is great for 90 percent of the people using it..

And may be nice to know; till the moment I am writing this the builds are downloaded about 300 times (in two days)....

Jan.

Date: September 04, 2004 02:57PM

.... 20-25 faster then the testbuild Ulf made... should be: ...20-25 percent faster etc....

----- this build is great for 90 percent of the people... should be: this build is good enough etc......

Date: September 04, 2004 03:02PM

In another topic someone mentioned that after disabling the rebar-plugin he could use the shortkeys again. Tested that and confirmed. But as Dorian said, I am not using it.

Jan

Date: September 04, 2004 03:39PM

Hi Ra,

I checked the things you mentioned and you are right.
And after a quick search I have found the problem.
We have made the menus.cfg better to read by using tabs. These tabs are making a mess of it. When a tab is used in front of %ifplugin, it is inactive.

I have made a new menus.cfg for english and will do the same for the other languages.

In fact, thanks a lot for mentioning it!
I will post here when new menus.cfg's and new builds are available.

Jan

Posted by: harad
Date: September 04, 2004 04:33PM

Hi Ra,

I checked the things you mentioned and you are right.
And after a quick search I have found the problem.
We have made the menus.cfg better to read by using tabs. These tabs are making a mess of it. When a tab is used in front of %ifplugin, it is inactive.

I have made a new menus.cfg for english and will do the same for the other languages.

In fact, thanks a lot for mentioning it!
I will post here when new menus.cfg's and new builds are available.

Jan

New build would be great as always. Maybe an /o7 /g2 build??? smiling smiley

Anyway - speed is amazing. It starts in <1sec on modern Pentium. That's great!

Greetz

Re: &gt;&gt;K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!&lt;&lt;
Posted by: rjf
Date: September 04, 2004 04:44PM

>>>>>rjf, it is possible to drag toolbars around here.
the default setting of 0.82+ is that toolbars are locked.<<<<<<

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! Mine work fine now. I can't believe I missed this. It's probably because in all the time I've used k-mel I have never used the lock even once. Still no excuse though. I have a tendency to gloss over things right in front of my nose sometimes. Sorry for taking up thread space.

Dorian, why would you need to uninstall self-contained versions before installing latest release?(just curious) I have both your build, and Ulf's still on. And now Weshelbalg also.

Date: September 04, 2004 04:58PM

Okay, new installers are available, but only thing what is changed is the menus.cfg-file. This file is also available separately on the website.

So, check the website http://www.hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon and download the menus.cfg in the language you need ;-))))

And Harad, we have tested with optimised builds and they are a little faster. But to keep it as simple as possible with one build Dorian did a great job with some optimisations already. To give you an idea, the build what is available now, is faster then the latest P4/ Athlon optimised build we tested.

Jan.

Date: September 04, 2004 05:07PM

Forgotten to tell, but following things are solved:

- macros and/ or layers-plugin disabled, the menu will only show the valid functions now.

- when privacy-plugin is disabled, the plugin-menu-option in the menu is disabled

The groupsmacro is still in the menu because it is also possible to use it without the layers-function enabled. Layer-specific functionality is switched off (standard groups-macro plugin).

Jan.

Posted by: Coolin
Date: September 04, 2004 06:33PM

Is there anything I can do to make bookmark links open in the current layer instead of a new layer?

Date: September 04, 2004 08:25PM

Yes, just remove the following lines in your prefs.js and all bookmarks, hotlist and favorites-links are opened in the current layer.

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.openurl", "layers(OpenURL)");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.openurl", "layers(OpenURL)");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.hotlist.openurl", "layers(OpenURL)");

For new users, you can find the prefs.js file in the profile\xxxxx directory in the K-Meleon installationdirectory, where xxxxx is an random name.
Close your K-Meleon before you remove these settings otherwise they will be overwritten after closing the browser.

Jan

Posted by: Coolin
Date: September 04, 2004 09:12PM

Thanks for the fast reply fast sjonny. smiling smiley

It worked like a charm.

Posted by: ra
Date: September 04, 2004 11:39PM

Sorry, but I currently don't have time to re-check your changes, but thanks for updating. :-)

Here's another somehow strange thing: Saving images takes longer than with the official build or previous Dorian builds.

I mean if you save an image (e.g. high-res.-ones from http://www.nasa.gov) a small progress dialog window pops up while the image is written to disk (most times from memory or disk cache to the destination dir if the image had just been loaded).

This dialog used only to appear for a very short time way under a second (often only noticeable as a flicker). With 'Wechselbalg' I can view it's progress from 0% to 100% because it is open a second or sometimes two (and distracts from continuing to surf).

There are ocassions where the behaviour I'm used to happens as well. But I can't seem to repro when it is 'good'. Sadly about 95% of all saved images it's 'bad'. ;-(

Cache is and always has been set to 'Automatically', no privacy plugin, disk cache size 60 MB, mem cache 1024 KB, XP SP2.

And as I have said: If I take Dorians last rar-build it's always 'good' - even with the same profile.

Anyone with a repro, explanation or fix? :-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 05, 2004 01:10AM

Fast Sjonny, et al,

WOW!

I'm playing with it now. I must have died and gone to Heven!

N.

Date: September 05, 2004 02:02AM

Fast Sjonny,

Very fast on diaorlup. This releaase rocks.

Don't much like the interface (but then you already knew I am the Early Blue fan!) and wonder how you integrate all your previous config info into this one.

As for the new "Official" release. Hope ALL of youse guys stay involved in it. KM 0.8.2 and this one are such a great improvement over the past that KM is now right up there with anything that FF or Moz can offer and it all runs much, much faster. The decision to go with Windows APIs and a scripting language has been more than demonstrated. It was the right decision, since changes with this approach can be made almost on the fly if you can wrap your brain around the macro language. IF not, then there are still plenty of examples you can emulate from those who can post macros that can be easily cut and pasted.

KM is an incredible creation. XUL is nice, but macros rock!

N

Posted by: king sparrow
Date: September 05, 2004 02:49AM

It's faster than fast on a 56k using xp. Don't want to mess things up, will the adblocks on the original version work with this build and do I put them on the same place. Keep up the good work guys............

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 05, 2004 06:33AM

ra >> That's weird. It's like all transfert from the cache is limited to 512Kbytes/s. After some test, it's a problem within the build itself O_O.

If you use the old exe with the new package, it works well. I'm suspecting a not documented side effect of one of the option I used for the build. (anyways nothing is documented with mozilla). Though, it would be weird.

(The problem is just with the cache, so if you have a conection faster than 512Kbytes/s, it shouldn't be limited)

For those who suffer from this issue (someone who watch a lot of hi-res images), using the old kmeleon.exe maybe a workaround, it shouldn't cause any problems (it will just be a little slower winking smiley

So finally, trying to get the exe file as small as firefox and as fast as possible, it seems I got only troubles ^^'

Date: September 05, 2004 05:10PM

Dorian,

thanks for confirming that.

Any chance for an updated exe that might be not as heavily optimized but without speed limits? :-)

The old exe is more than twice the size of the new one and as you said "it will just be a little slower winking smiley". Now I have a browser that's fast on surfing but slow on saving. If I'd replace the exe I'd have a browser that's slower on surfing (compared to the new exe) but fast on saving. Both options are not perfect. <g>

I bet you have an idea what's causing it if you look at the current build options and what's in / out... smiling smiley

Posted by: efosb
Date: September 05, 2004 05:15PM

awesome built i must say. great job. my only complaint in not being able to successfully transfer over all my configurations from my old k-meleon. other than that, this version rocks.

Posted by: logiman
Date: September 05, 2004 06:58PM

I see it comes with it's own Flash pre-installed. I am visiting the site that uses a lot of Macromedia Flash. I think this is nice, since I don't like having to install it myself. Also note, that the previous official version of K-M didn't display the website properly, now it does.

Date: September 05, 2004 10:38PM

I see it comes with it's own Flash pre-installed.

No, it comes only with the Mozilla default plugin in the plugins dir. But Gecko is able to find some plugins (like Java, ...) for some versions now. Just hit about:plugins to see what it detected.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 06, 2004 05:11AM

@efsob - did You try to copy over Your user.js already?
hope You did not do too much via about:config.
actually You can use all the old stuff You made for Youself -
i am quite sure about it - just give it a try.

Posted by: rumpel
Date: September 06, 2004 10:59AM

a throbber and a main ico for
nautipolis

ico: http://www.ezshare.de/files/3296/main.ico
Throbber: http://www.ezshare.de/files/3297/Throbber.avi

0.8.2+ is a great built

Date: September 06, 2004 11:16AM

Thanks for the compliments to our small group Rumpel and the others!
Nice to hear the work is appreciated.

May be not everyone noticed it but on the website http://hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon is a 'latest updates' link available where you can find the latest changes to the build and some separate files for download.

As we have mentioned before, it is not the idea to make more completely new builds, to update with newer versions of Mozilla etc... because we have already spent a lot of our time to this build and we really hope some new/ other people will help further development of K-Meleon.

But, when we can make this 'Wechselbalg' build better with some small updates like the layers.dll or other settings we will ofcourse make them available on the link just mentioned.

Greetings from Holland,
Jan.

Posted by: Who
Date: September 06, 2004 02:42PM

Slashdot...it would be really good if this could get onto slashdot - youd have a heap of traffic so if there is any way to help that it would be good to do it first, still, to get exposure slashdot is the way

I'd also like to be able to get a .zip instead of an installer, because it causes less hassle and uninstalls more cleanly

Thanks for the great work!

Who

Date: September 06, 2004 03:25PM

Hi Who,

The installer we are using is very clean.
In fact the only thing we do is choosing the installationdirectory, unzipping it (you can choose which files>> only program or also some plugins, etc..) and startup of the program. That's all.
Uninstall is a complete removal of the K-Meleonpackage incl. directory.

No settings in register are done.

You are right that it would be nice to have everything in Zip too, but this would mean too much space. Other point is that we have tried to make it as easy as possible for the new users and users who doesn't know much about the backgrounds (dos/ windows/ zip-unzip/ editing files etc...)

Slashdot: good point, did not know it ;-)))

Jan.

Date: September 06, 2004 03:55PM

Jan,

A couple questions for you before I try to tweak this new KM.

Themes. How does it work with older themes (such as Early Blue, of course!)? Macro, Menu and Toolbar tweaks?

N

Date: September 06, 2004 04:27PM

Hi n,

You can use it with other themes, but some things which you will find in the toolbars.cfg in the themes we have enclosed are not in the toolbars of Early Blue and some others.

For example the googlebar. We have made a little toolbar for it we use in combination with the default and Nautipolis, so you can copy it in (if you want to use the Googlebar ofcourse). Other thing what we are using is the togglebar for enable/disable loading java/ javascript/ images and popups.
You could edit the toolbars.cfg what is used with the Early-Blue theme, it is not simply possible to use our toolbars.cfg because unfortunately there was no standard for the place of icons in the toolbar-bmp's. This would have made things easier for everyone....

Macro's, menues etc... are not a problem as far as you are using the ones enclosed with the build. You could use our build and your macros, menus and toolbars-file but then you do not have the functionality available we have build in.
The only advantage then would be that it is 20-30 percent faster then the 0.8.2 build.

My suggestion would be to make a backup of your old KM, do an installation, try it yourself and decide then....

Jan.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 07, 2004 01:09AM

You can use it with other themes, but some things which you will find in the toolbars.cfg in the themes we have enclosed are not in the toolbars of Early Blue and some others.

ndebord...

Let me know what you need in regards to extra buttons etc., and I'll see what I can do. Themes to me are always a work in progress, so anything which needs to be done to further complete them I am quite willing to do.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 07, 2004 01:13AM

For example the googlebar. We have made a little toolbar for it we use in combination with the default and Nautipolis, so you can copy it in (if you want to use the Googlebar ofcourse). Other thing what we are using is the togglebar for enable/disable loading java/ javascript/ images and popups.
You could edit the toolbars.cfg what is used with the Early-Blue theme, it is not simply possible to use our toolbars.cfg because unfortunately there was no standard for the place of icons in the toolbar-bmp's. This would have made things easier for everyone....

Fast Sjonny

In case you haven't noticed, with the Bonus Pack for Early Blue (which I have no doubt that ndebord has), I included an expanded toolbar and bonus.bmp which included the necessary icons for Enable/Disable Java, Enable/Disable Javascript etc. You need to open your eyes a little more. ;-)

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.