General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: >>K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!<<
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: September 09, 2004 01:05AM

Hi ndebord!

Let's see... what do I like about this release? Oh, I bet you Al can tell you about that one, right Al? After all, you've had to go through enough of my themes for that one! LOL! ;o) All the buttons with which to play! And to make Al happy I even added 4 more! *Eyes-Only gives Al a friendly nudge in the side!* Nothing like a good ribbing. winking smiley I'd said 3 the other day but I just tried the "Go" button thingy to make sure my memory worked and it---and the button---did. "Boxed_Classic" has a really nice icon for a "Go": Arrow pointing right on something that looks like a "webpage". (#35) I've used all native buttons when adding, an idea Al had given me with (Java) "Duke" and I've been trying to go with that ever since.

Oh yes---and because of the smaller buttons I have MORE screen space. I don't deal in numbers per se but I do have the most screen space of any other browser.

Okie... what do I like besides buttons? The throbber! *Eyes-Only winks at Guenter for that one!* It has a "special meaning" for me, right Guenter? And I appreciate the team placing it in. Sort like a "tribute".

But of course, the macros are the most important or all. I only had to add a couple of my personal ones in, namely email, Nvu, and file manager. Of course they left these ones out because not everyone uses the same email nor file manager---and very few bother using a webpage designer with a browser. But look at all the other macros you gain! The group macros in particular are worth their weight in gold! (Thanks Sebastian!) And have you seen all the things added under "Help"? Gone are the days of typing "about:" anything at all practically! And they kept in one of MY favourites: Have a question for help? Under "Help" you can "Search the Forums"! Enter it into the box and you get 180 days' worth on that question! KEWL!

And while a lot of people are presently confuzzled by the buttons on the menubar stop and think how handy it is that you can access things like "Preferences" immediately, or see the source of the page with one click of a button! Or blocking java, javascript, is now a standard, along with tab open/close without having to ADD anything! Plus you can now increase/decrease fonts without having to run through several clicks of the menus. (I've always needed to click several times because of vision problems.) And how about the fact that they accomplished something I couldn't with the fixing of "about:config" and fixing the "History" to work? Woohoo!

And of course the best is for last: How about that totally awesome addition of Firefox's Googlebar? Now if that isn't something to be happy about then nothing is! In our browser now---by default mind you not as a complicated addon that you have to struggle to add!---you've got one of the most complete search tools on the net available today!

And I'm glad that everyone is experiencing a 25 to 30% speed increase over Firefox. That is really something to brag about right there. smiling smiley

These gentlemen gave me more of a mention than what I truly deserved. While I may have started the project with the first "seed build", I soon had to bow out due to time constraints of watching my grandson, Isaac, extra days, recuperating health-wise from that, and from poor health (as some of you know---and now all who read this---I'm not well at all). But I did "monitor" what the group was doing, gave "input" for what it was worth here and there, and saw just how dedicated to this project these people were. I must say that I've NEVER seen as much dedication from four men on a project, not even amongst all the devs on the entire Mozilla Project, as I've seen here. And those who know me know that I only speak that which is true. Guenter, Jan, Dorian and Hao poured their spirits into this work. I know for a fact that both Guenter and Jan, since I worked the closest with them, spent hours a night to total exhaustion working on code for this. And Hao and Dorian were always explaining things way over my head.

So what this all boils down to is this: You can rest assured that you have the very best private K-Meleon build which has ever been offered to the public. And with the rest of us here who continue to work on K-Meleon, from those who come up with ideas, to those who theme, to those who do macros, to those who solve bug problems, to those who dedicate themselves to helping on the forums---and even those who ask questions because it hones our brains, we ALL do our share in advancing K-Meleon and keeping our browser the very BEST browser available on the net today!

But me? I'm just the forum clown... After all, somebody's got to do the job. Might as well be me. winking smiley

Sorry for all the space I've taken up. Now back to the show!

À la prochaine fois mes Amis!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

P/S: I forgot to say the best part: And I get to have this build in FRENCH! Woohoo! Thank you Dorian!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 09, 2004 05:13AM

@ au sauvage - if You tell me what 2 do? - i almost know these menues by heart.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 09, 2004 06:15AM

Jan,

I may be misunderstanding the use of { in toolbar.cfg.

When I enable, disable or cut and paste in that section, I get confused by the use of this character. If I find two of them in a row, it disables the section after that? If you remove one of these characters, you're in trouble. I would prefer to see sections disabled with the hash character # instead.

If I'm wrong about how this works, my apologies.

N

Posted by: J.C.A.N
Date: September 09, 2004 09:00AM

Hey guenter,
Sorry for the long wait on the reply. I have been configuring the url button the last 3 nights, I have posted on that topic. I do belong to Dev, but if you would, give me the link, I can't seem to find it in my favorites. Oh yes I am going to participate while using this version. I have been busy with some other things.

I will try my best to uncover some of the mis-haps during this version. If you don't try you don't learn, right? See you.

J.C.A.N

Date: September 09, 2004 09:27AM

You are right!
this next would integrate a extra new bar into wechselbalg or any other theme:

ndebord is right bar{
ndebord {
macros(ndebord)
Greetings
toolhot.bmp[16]
toolcold.bmp[16]
tooldead.bmp[16]
}
}

if You cut out a section - You take care that for every opening "{" a closing "}" remains // the two outermost of them belong to the whole bar - the other two inner ones - frame only the ndebord macro functionality.

they will remain with macro part:

ndebord {
macros(ndebord)
Greetings
toolhot.bmp[16]
toolcold.bmp[16]
tooldead.bmp[16]
}

would be done - to integrate this bar into another existing bar. I understand that You did something like this to make longer bars. Or grafted functionality over from another theme?

the usual thing is then (if something is gone wrong) just count them (=even number of openers and closers).
I usually "loose" bar-closers - that is where i would beginn my search. (they are the meanest since they cause only slight errors - untill more fuctionality is put/ added in after them). then i would check whether all the bars are complete, then check whether all the macro parts are complete.
Is I search for my most common mistakes first - h he. becuase i get confuse too and than it has happend... one cut and paste at the wrong place, & whoops...
greetings from Hannover

Date: September 09, 2004 10:12AM

& @J.C.A.N You are as stuborn as me?! -> three nights!

I try to catch up with my neglected garden right now ->
so i do not miss any answers ; o ))

- and some browser testing for official devs ->

i do not understand however - why they do not use a chrome of wechelbalg by Jan & make an interim version .0.8.4+ put some time into developing other things we need - while waiting for the Mozilla 1.8 people to finish stable release? (1.8 people seem to work more on other things than browser which is fast and stable with their release?)

guess: i am too darft to understand the point in having a 1.7.2 release now as well?

Date: September 09, 2004 03:10PM

Guenter,

"ndebord is right bar"

What is this? My 15 seconds of fame!

<VBG>

Seriously, I now have KM 0.8.2 and KM 0.8.3 (my nomenclature) running. I went to the default them on 0.8.3 as it seems to work better. I do miss the Java, JavaScript and Popup buttons that worked with Early Blue. These XXXX's are too generic for my tastes.

But boy does it fly and I'm getting used to some of the new functions. Nice.

N

Re: &gt;&gt;K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!&lt;&lt;
Date: September 09, 2004 03:23PM

Eyes-Only,

I do appreciate the French thing too...my last name comes from Brittany and my grandfather spoke it when I was very young, but then was gone. So my French is at best, rudimentary. <shrug>

As I mentnioned to Guenter, I've temporarily gone back to the default IE clone theme with 0.8.3 (my naming here). I'm getting used to all the buttons and trying to get layers to work properly. Not a big fan of the Go button, but nice to have nonetheless.

I still like the Early Blue theme and the Java, Javascript and Popup buttons used there better.

The Throbber is very nice, if you stick with the boxed theme. I personally am a traditionalist with the throbber. I've really, really liked the gtoofy greenheader since I first saw it!

I'm slowly working my way through the macros. I didn't load most of them up before when they were being worked on, but now that they're included, I probably will start employing them as I get to them. The group macros look particularly interesting.

The Email button seems to have gone missing in the new release, no?

About that Google Toolbar, very nice and very discreet. It only shows up when you need it.

As for the Font size thing, I was always using <Ctrl +> (I like hotkeys you see.)

History and about:config are very good things to have now.

And did I mention the speed on my PIII-600?

My thanks to the "Gang of 4" who did this work. (You know who you are!!!)

N

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: September 09, 2004 03:58PM

I just received a mail from the dutch magazine named 'OpenMagazine' with the question if I would like to write an article about the unofficial K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg, total between 750 and 1400 words.

I think this is a great opportunity to give K-Meleon a push forward so if everyone agrees I would like to write a dutch article.
The content would be then how we started with the Wechselbalg-version, ofcourse a comment that it is an unofficial release, but also that we think that K-Meleon is such a nice and fast browser that our goal with this version is to reach more people and to make it easier to start with the browser.

Other ideas?

Greetings from a sunny Holland,
Jan

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: September 09, 2004 07:45PM

Hi, Jan:
That's very great to have KM to reach more people. I also tried to broadcast our Chinese version in some Chinese Forums and let people try and report bugs. Hope we can let KM be more widely spread out.

Best regards,
Hao

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: September 09, 2004 07:52PM

My idea Jan? GO FOR IT! hehehe! I don't know how others feel but while many may think it is giving a particular private build a "plug" (support) it is actually giving all of K-Meleon a plug IMO. I know how you write (little joke between Jan and I here) and I do know that you won't forget to mention the Official Homepage and forums here and all the wonderful people in the article, while at the same time giving the download address for 0.8.2+

Can you translate into English and email me a copy of the article IF you are not busy? ONLY when you are not busy, okie? No hurry Jan. Thanks!

Greetings from a very wet, humid, cold Maine, USA---"La Confédération Abènaquaise".

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: September 09, 2004 10:38PM

Anyone,

I've been cutting and pasting between KM 0.8.2 and KM 0.8.3 (my designation).

In trying to get some of the functionality from the old into the new, I used Romanito's PRIVACY.DLL.

It all works fine, except for deleting history info? Any ideas on that?

Tks,

N

Date: September 10, 2004 06:02AM

MOz1.8 is using another history. I already asked Romanito to change his plugin (to add the functionality). Till now I did not get any reaction from Romanito.

Jan.

Date: September 10, 2004 06:38AM

@ndboard - tools for coresponding mozilla or ff should work (michel & jan talked about that history ... also in other hread. & why should i say You are wrong if hours of fame, he he.

@Jan Yes go for it, it is the first time that there is a real Dutch k-m
- possibly that will help to promote more than anonther English official with only rudimentary Dutch language support!
And it is such a nice fast browser. regards

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 10, 2004 08:17AM

Well, you have the source, it's an easy change to do. If you have told me about this bug sooner, I would have done it. You just have to search for 'history.txt' and replace it by 'history.dat' in the source.

Date: September 10, 2004 10:49AM

You just have to set this to:

browser.history_expire_days

zero = Null in about:config -> that is a menue item under help now!->
when You shut down. after net start history is cleared an can be set to a postitive integer again

@Dorian - everybody will much appreciate if You alter the dll by Romain.

But it is not a real bug and when this first turened up there was reason not to ask
You imidiately, because:

when this first turned up You were kneedeep into compiling things...
We introduced all those help items with good reason! they can be used now.
plus You can use Mozilla and FF tools that do mechanize it.

(seulement utiliser afficher la configuration pour un moment! ou utiliser un program pour mozilla ce ne pas plus?) plus our old tinker legacy - You can actually make a toogle button that works on exit - and toogles between zero and nine - so nobody though of asking later

Date: September 11, 2004 03:22AM

Jan,

FWIW, I think you should consider renaming your release to:

K-Meleon 0.8.2a

I figure youse guys will have an updated version out "any day now." and I think you need to differentiate it from the first one. So, for example, the next one would be:

K-Meleon 0.82b

N

Date: September 11, 2004 03:25AM

Anyone,

What is this Sage I hear about. I've used FeedReader and Aggreg8 so far.

N

Date: September 11, 2004 07:15AM

"sage" does not work with this chrome - Omshiirion & me tried -
at my machine it crashed the browser because of lacking functions
(probably bookmarks function // and even after adding more chrome)

I can look wheather i still have the dats for the experiment.

i also tried FF xpi things with the likely Xul of official (0.9?)
- i made the newest version of embed from embed project working for my tests.
Google bar and Aggreg8 will probably work with next official,
nothing else unless the official crew will extend it to more chrome.
regards

Date: September 11, 2004 03:58PM

Guenter,

It's not a big deal. I've been using FeedReader from the menu for some time now. Works just fine for now.

Tks,

N

Date: September 11, 2004 04:24PM

Hi Ndebord,

It is not our intention to update the build. And when we do it is so good that time that I think we can call it 0.8.3 ;-))))))

But, to be serious, on the link that is available to download the build is also a history available of the build. Only the latest is available for download and in fact, it is already updated three times.

I will add a txt-file in the K-Meleon-rootdirectory with the date of the build ;-)

Thanks for the idea,
Jan.

Date: September 12, 2004 01:11AM

Jan,

I mention naming releases by letters like a, b, c, etc., only because people will get confused about which version they have otherwise. And from your perspective, you'll end up answering questions about one version when they're talking about another. Dates are nice, but numbers are better!

<g>

N

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: September 12, 2004 03:10AM

Hey Jan, trying to horn in on my time and alerts over at http://www.broadbandreports.com/ ?
I've been keeping them up to speed on the the latest and greatest releases for those folks to try out. And I've seen some pretty favorable feedback.
Just thought I'd let you know that the MOD over there knows when I post about a new release, it comes from a good source.
Also, why don't you register there and become a member in good standing and that way should someone have a question I can't answer, you could jump in and go for it.
This invite goes for all those who worked on and helped get the "UNOFFICIAL" and "OFFICIAL" releases out.

Kindest regards, Dan

Date: September 12, 2004 06:28AM

Hi Ndebord,
You are right, but we had to think about that before.
Now changing the name again would not be right.
And as I said, I think we do not have any new releases in mind jet...

But for a new 0.8.2a would be better ;-))))

Jan.

============================

Hi Transitman,

I did not know you had already posted, but I saw when he closed the topic :-))))
You are right about the comments, very positive indeed!!
Because I normally do not visit those forums, simply because there are plenty and then I am behind my computer 24 hours a day, I did not register.
But may be I will do...
Thanks for the post ;-))

Jan.

Date: September 12, 2004 04:25PM

Jan,

Well, I suppose you could alway go the way of the C Language!

C

C+

C++

<VBG>

N

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: September 13, 2004 04:29AM

Jan,
I'm not a coder, don't know jack about writing code, but when I come across a piece of software, such as K-Meleon, and I try it out, and like it, I want my friends to know.
I have always lurked here, posting ever so infrequently, but learning things along the way.
I have been a quiet supporter of this browser since version 0.6 and will continue to be so long as it is great, fast and available.
You folks who take time out your lives to get it together for the rest of us to enjoy are to be commended.
Thank you.
Dan

Date: September 13, 2004 09:16AM

TransitMan I am also a member at Broadbandreports, different username, over there I am Hardryve. One thing I noticed when you manage your profile's as I always do this with every version of KM is make another profile, and the new one always seems to be faster than the default for some reason, of course I did do a little changing of things with the go button as I stated before I have 2 of them on the default profile, but as using the Duke theme now and things seem to be as normal, speed is back. Before when using my default profile I would keep timing out all the times at different sites, so far haven't encountered that this time, I'll ring in if things change any. Also thanks to all(Andrew posted the link finally, thanks Andrew) I finally made it on the Dev-Lists, am awaiting the final disclosure of my joining.

I still use the Mozilla alpha2 as this is the engine that is powering this KM version now right? Well as I think this is the engine, thats one of the best so far from Mozilla in my opinion, even with the bloat on her she runs just as fast if not faster than her kid Firefox, but now KM is hemi-ing it just a bit quicker than Mozilla alpha2. Well I have to take my leave for now, lot's of additional things yet to do, Howdy to all here, I'm here if anyone needs me to participate, ready, willing, and able.

<b>J.C.A.N</b>

Date: September 13, 2004 09:19AM

Got my tags mixed up there, so many forums, so many methods.

J.C.A.N

Date: September 13, 2004 01:05PM

J.C.A.N
I had that too when i still used Mozilla 1.5 nightlies.
(before k-m had an 1.5 engine & became almost only)
some builts are just lucky & faster then end product.
regards

Posted by: DamageCase
Date: September 14, 2004 08:00AM

Hello All,

First let me thank those who have put all the work into making K - Meleon, both the official and unofficial builds, possible. I was searching for a browser that was free, and light on my limited resources, and K - Meleon certainly did satisfy that need. I have been using Sebastian's k-meleon-0.8.2-LB-0.03 build, and it works beautifully. I decided to give Wechselbalg a try, and it works just as well, with a bit of a speed increase, and of course it's more "user friendly", with the ability to set k-meleon as the default browser, and a few added features. The only problem I have, even if it be a slight one, is the loss of focus on the address bar when I open a new "tab". Both the official release, and Sebastian's most recent release do not have this problem.

I checked my prefs and macros config files, and are as they should be for the url bar to have focus:

user_pref("kmeleon.display.NewWindowHasUrlFocus", true)

OnLoad{
$URL=""; $URL == "about:blank" ? id(ID_SELECT_URL):0;

I believe it's attributed to viewing Bug 12, but that's just a guess from a newbie. I was wondering why Wechselbalg has this problem, and if possible, how can I fix it?

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.