>>K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!<<
Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: September 02, 2004 07:45PM

In the last two months we, a 'handfull' of ordinary people from this forum, have worked hard to get this build ready.
The people who made this build possible and we want to thank for their work:

- all the people who started the K-Meleon project, the people supporting the Mozilla-project and the people on the K-Meleon forums who made the macro's, plugins and themes which are used in this build..... just to mention two names for all:
Monkee-sage who seem to make Mozilla Firefox Xul for Mozilla.org now and jsnj who is still present in our forum.

- And to mention two people who knowingly supported this compilation with help and information.

- Sebastian who permitted us to use the advanced macros and menus collection he had assembled for his private issue.

- Eyes-Only, who actually started the project by making a build based on an older build and replacing Mozilla files with the newer Mozilla 1.8 files. The build as it is now is a real new compilation based on Mozilla 1.8, but without Eyes-Only we probably would never have started this "little project". (Sidenote From English Reviewer, Eyes-Only: Thanks guys! It was FUN the tiny part I could do---but you guys did it all and are to be commended!)

Without all of them this would not have been!

And the people that spent part of their summer creating their own new browser were:

- Dorian made the static compilation for this build, translations, test work and integrated additional functions. He invested a lot of his time to make this possible!
- Hao Jiang translated the browser including the internal menus of all plugins into simplified Chinese.
- Fast Sjonny taylored the specialized chrome that keeps the brew fast while supporting some Firefox .xpi plugins, added macro's, the boxed_classic theme and translated into Dutch. He claims he enjoyed working together with the other four members in this project and he invested much time into the project.
- guenter did some testing, some macro-searching, selected .xpi add-ons and claims, he learned something during the project?

We have made a small website to make the downloads available.
On the small website you will find a description of the build and installers in the following languages:
dutch, english, french, german, simplified chinese. We hope other translations will follow!

This is the link to the website: http://hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon

We really hope you will enjoy the browsing experience!!
Dorian, Eyes-Only, Guenter, Hao-Jang, Jan (Fast Sjonny).

Re: >>K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!<<
Posted by: jo
Date: September 02, 2004 09:57PM

hello, i just wanted to say that i like this unoiffical version, and it is a big improvment
from the current official version. and its faster then the new mozilla/ netscape 1.7.2 on my computer, anyway. thanks.

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: September 03, 2004 04:42AM

This is great news.

And to give you guys and this browser more exposure, I have posted a link to the website over in the software forum at; http://www.broadbandreports.com/

There are a few people over there who enjoy new things and this will certainly be one of them.
Thanks to all who built it, tested it (openly acknowledging or quietly doing it - like me!), and finally made it happen.

Posted by: J,C.A.N
Date: September 03, 2004 08:48AM

I have only been using K-Meleon for little than 3 months now, and am so delighted that you'all continued on to build this most recent version. As I have said before I would like to participate even though I consider myself still a novice. Is there anywhere a novice can learn to contribute to K-Meleon? I think this is going to fly past Mozilla if more people get involved with it. Congradulations to everyone, now let me get over there so I can download this new version already, much appreciated a novice K-Meleon user.

J.C.A.N --JohnNaughton

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 03, 2004 10:09AM

J.C.A.N.
You can help with official version - they need also testers that know little more than remember where browser crashed (if it does) and what they were doing at that time.
Ask in Als thread or enroll in devs mailing list. Last thing i heard any hand is welcome.

This is not the official new version, we are all still waiting for official new version.
this here has the new things that were often asked from wiki and a new more speedy 1.8 Gecko engine.

The "official golden release" based on 1.7.2 engine is yet to come
; o ).
Maybe official devs get history in url bar working soon?
because some people need history.

But untill then we have a nice speedy browser : o )) - and me maybe after that
/ i do not want history in Url bar anyway.
greetings fron#m sunny Hannover

Posted by: Gnon
Date: September 03, 2004 12:33PM

Wow is the only word that I can think of - Kmeleon gets a well deserved kick in the pants by a group of committed fans - the developers should thank all these guys for stimulating the name of K-Meleon across the web !

This spirit we need multiplied by N times( N=> infinity) to make K-Meleon more famous and more used worldwide !

I hope more and more web users see the selflessness and generosity of these special members who have given us a more polished browser which shudl help the main devs when they work upon the next official version<g>

Gnon

Re: &gt;&gt;K-Meleon 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg is ready!&lt;&lt;
Date: September 03, 2004 03:06PM

pertaining to history in Wechselbalg or 0.82+

user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.maxURLs", 0);

History is at the moment set to zero like above. For all that want history in Url far alter that to:

user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.maxURLs", X);

where X is the amount of MRU (visited url) to keep -

Jan informed me - he has set the privacy feature i want for default ; o )

Posted by: bellgamin
Date: September 03, 2004 09:15PM

Could someone please list the contents of the dll installer? I *think* I have all that stuff, because I am presently using Dorian's build successfully.

Also, when I install this Wechselbalg, do I need to uninstall Dorian or K-mel 0.8.2?

regards..... bellgamin

Posted by: Mike Meehowski
Date: September 03, 2004 09:55PM

OMG!!

Thank you all.......this is freakin' fast!!

XP Pro SP-1.

Be well...........

Mike

Posted by: madmixer99
Date: September 03, 2004 11:28PM

The name says it all !!! Thought 082 was fast but this Wechselbalg is amazing.

Congrats to all .

XP Home SP-2
Celeron 1.2G
256k Ram
DSL

Take care eh

Posted by: ra
Date: September 04, 2004 12:47AM

FYI: There are many (mostly menu-) flaws if the layers plugin is disabled.

Posted by: Omshiirion
Date: September 04, 2004 03:06AM

Well, I've installed it, and my opinion of it isn't so positive.
I didn't install the Favorites or Hotlist plugins (I don't use IE or Opera, so why bother? o.O), and decided to try this out.

I use my keyboard to navigate menus quite often. In fact, I have no choice, other than to use the keyboard mouse, at the writing of this post.

Normally, holding Alt, and pressing the underlined letter in the menu results in that menu popping open.
This doesn't happen with this build, rendering it quite unusable for me as it stands.

On an aside, I'd replace aggreg8 with Sage, if it's doable. I read Atom feeds; aggreg8 seems to be choking on any Atom feed I give it (since it uses only RSS...)

I'll give it another try after I repair this PC.

Date: September 04, 2004 05:26AM

Hi Bellgamin,

The dll's are: mfc71dll, msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll

But the installer is only copying them when they are newer then on your system.

Jan.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 04, 2004 05:50AM

Also, when I install this Wechselbalg, do I need to uninstall Dorian or K-mel 0.8.2?

Delete all trace of my previous build to avoid problem.

Normally, holding Alt, and pressing the underlined letter in the menu results in that menu popping open.

I think a patch is needed for that but since nobody pointed out that problem before, nothing was done to correct it. (In my case I almost don't use the menu )

Date: September 04, 2004 06:31AM

@Omshiirion: send me the xpi - i will look (not all xpi work) / if it is so much better.
as to other flaw i do not know yet what might be causing it.
@ra - welche? Englisch hatte nicht so die ganz hohe priorität
& sind bei der deutschen version auch Fehler eingeschleppt?
possibly there are if conditions missing - i will look.
@Bellgamin: You can also put dlls into k-m folder if there is trouble otherwise.

& one of the intended things was a little more speed. c Jans nick...

Posted by: logiman
Date: September 04, 2004 07:37AM

One thing, why can't I visit the K-Meleon website with this build of K-M? I can visit with IE and Opera. Did the developers block out this site on purpose?

Posted by: rjf
Date: September 04, 2004 08:26AM

Nice build guys.

My compliments.

This was my first experience with the google toolbar. Once I figured out how it worked, I liked it a lot.(I kept trying to hide the toolbar instead of closing the window).

And I like this history plugin much better than the others. Easier to read/navigate.

There's one bug I noticed right off the bat though. The rebar plugin doesn't seem to be functioning correctly. The dividers where you drag the toolbars to another bar are greyed out .Also, I went to check it on the speed test(fast 24), and accidentally disabled the rebar plugin instead of the toolbar. All the toolbars became seperated. Not only that, the menu bar was all the way at the bottom. I then hid everything(one by one) till only the menu bar remained. But when I tried to make them visible again, the first one I re-enabled(view) came in OVER the menu bar, instead of beside of, or below it. Not knowing how to re-enable the menu bar with a keyboard command, I had to re-install. I tried the process again just to make sure it wasn't caused by the test site, and got the same results.

Does anyone else have this problem?(I'm running xp) Or did I just get a bad d/l, and need to d/l again.

regards.
rjf

(p.s. what does "Wechselbalg" stand for?)

Posted by: kt
Date: September 04, 2004 08:51AM

A xsl style sheet is inapplicable to a xml document. Is this the bug of Mozilla? Environment is Windows XP SP1.

Date: September 04, 2004 10:00AM

@logiman, no - not really - i am here that brew / try k-m-forum under help 2 go here.
@rjf, it is possible to drag toolbars around here.
the default setting of 0.82+ is that toolbars are locked.
so unlock first then drag it to place - else if not possible something is broken.
No, cannot be the Windows in general.
it has been tested with xp/pro, home, ME & 98. (all systems that we had access to)
@kt, I have not seen that message yet. I have xp/pro sp, xp home without sp... -> possibly mozilla or because of Japanese language issue? (or combination of it?)
Your info is the first news that i encountered about it.
regards

Date: September 04, 2004 10:01AM

There's one bug I noticed right off the bat though. The rebar plugin doesn't seem to be functioning correctly. The dividers where you drag the toolbars to another bar are greyed out .

Toolbars are locked by default (don't ask me why). You have to unlock them in display->toolbars.

A xsl style sheet is inapplicable to a xml document. Is this the bug of Mozilla? Environment is Windows XP SP1.

I don't know. Did you try with mozilla? Can you give an exemple ? Maybe it's something I didn't enable in my build.

Posted by: kt
Date: September 04, 2004 11:02AM

--- test.xml start ---
&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot; ?&gt;
&lt;?xml-stylesheet href=&quot;test.xsl&quot; type=&quot;text/xsl&quot; ?&gt;

&lt;article&gt;
&lt;title&gt;learning XSLT&lt;/title&gt;
&lt;paragraph&gt;test paragraph&lt;/paragraph&gt;
&lt;/article&gt;
--- test.xml end ---

--- test.xsl ---
&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot; ?&gt;
&lt;xsl:stylesheet version=&quot;1.0&quot;
xmlns:xsl=&quot;http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform&quot; &gt;

&lt;xsl:template match=&quot;/&quot;&gt;
&lt;xsl:apply-templates/&gt;
&lt;/xsl:template&gt;

&lt;xsl:template match=&quot;article&quot;&gt;
&lt;html&gt;&lt;xsl:apply-templates/&gt;&lt;/html&gt;

&lt;xsl:template match=&quot;title&quot;&gt;
&lt;h1&gt;&lt;xsl:value-of select=&quot;.&quot;/&gt;&lt;/h1&gt;

&lt;xsl:template match=&quot;paragraph&quot; &gt;
&lt;p&gt;&lt;xsl:value-of select=&quot;.&quot;/&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

&lt;/xsl:stylesheet&gt;

--- test.xsl end ---

The easy sample was carried. If two files, test.xml and test.xsl, are put on the same directory and test.xml is read by K-Meleon0.8.2, the style defined by text.xsl will be applied and displayed. However, if it is this browser, it will be displayed, without applying a style. Is it only my environment?

Date: September 04, 2004 11:03AM

toolbars?
because some users do not know that they can be moved, locked and unlocked
-> they were moved into a sensible (good) position and locked.
else they fall down on install and cover half of display.
& i am sorry that this idea is wrong : o ((
greetings from sunny Hannover

Date: September 04, 2004 11:12AM

I am not sorry Guenter. It was the only way to keep them on the same place with testing on different resolutions, shell's etc... without moving them everytime to the right place.
For most users I think they are already right positioned when they start and it is very easy to unlock them and move them if they want it different.

About the xml-xls question, I really do not have an idea....
It would be nice if we had a link where you have the problems, so I could see what you mean. But may be Dorian can help...

Greetings from Holland,
Jan

Date: September 04, 2004 11:29AM

Ok, XSLT support is NOT present in my build, at least, not this one. The first one probably have it.

Posted by: harad
Date: September 04, 2004 12:16PM

browser itself is great, but there are still some errors arround gui and the test gecko.

greetz

Posted by: ra
Date: September 04, 2004 12:37PM

@ra - welche? Englisch hatte nicht so die ganz hohe priorität
& sind bei der deutschen version auch Fehler eingeschleppt?
possibly there are if conditions missing - i will look.

Just disable the layers plugin and have a look at it yourself. There are layers-specific menu entries that shouldn't be there if the plugin is not loaded. The same thing applies for the macros plugin. "%ifplugin ..." should be used to avoid such things. I did only try the english version, played a bit with it, noticed some problems, e.g.

- "new window" that only opens a new layer if the layers plugin is loaded
- disabled layers plugin: File - Close Tab, complete Groups Menu, Highlighted Text => New Tab still there
- Edit - Plugins still there if the only entry = privacy plugin is disabled
- disable the macros-plugin and see how the menus get ugly

and went back to my own profile, skin and defaults. :-)

BTW: I miss rocker navigation - the default gestures-plugin was included, was it?

BTW2: Are you guys now going to help Ulf? It would be great to see some, erm, real development going on (including updating the cvs) apart from forks and a starving project. Please have a look at the mailing list.

Date: September 04, 2004 01:00PM

maybe it's just me, but it's seems that all the things i download through 0.8.2+ aren't saved on hda! damn...

Date: September 04, 2004 01:07PM

Just disable the layers plugin and have a look at it yourself. There are layers-specific menu entries that shouldn't be there if the plugin is not loaded.

I though jan corrected them. At least, when I tested it, it was fine.

BTW: I miss rocker navigation - the default gestures-plugin was included, was it?

It was removed because of a compatibility problem with javascript.

BTW2: Are you guys now going to help Ulf?

Our time is now running out. But everything in that build may be used for official (and improved): toollbars, small chrome, linked xpt, etc ... maybe translations too.

Date: September 04, 2004 01:12PM

oww. i've founded what's making the download prob. It don't save files to 'c:/documents and settings/w&#322;a&#347;ciciel/pulpit' (wlasciciel means owner smiling smiley) but due to no central european support it save files to './W3a_ciciel/pulpit'. Ha, ha, ha smiling smiley

Date: September 04, 2004 01:33PM

Does the official build work better for that matter? I know there were also problems with non roman characters.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.