General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Webbased e-mail
Posted by: Agaricus
Date: December 12, 2001 08:35AM

I have tried to access my yahoo and my hotmailaccount with K-Meleon but it seems i can't get in. When I use my old browser (IE 5) there is no problem.

Does anybody know what is the source of this.

Greetz
Agaricus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Webbased e-mail
Posted by: po
Date: December 12, 2001 09:06AM

what, exactly, happens when you try to access hotmail?

Posted by: JangoFett
Date: December 13, 2001 06:13AM

I have noticed a similar (or the same) problem. What I have experienced is only with Yahoo. I quit Hotmail long ago.

I type in my user name and password in at mail.yahoo.com and click the submit button with the mouse. KM's throbber blows a little fire and nothing happens.

I then tried my.yahoo.com. This time I hit enter after the password to submit. KM again blew fire, and this time I made sure to check network activity

Third I tried login.yahoo.com. This time I checked the "Remember my ID." Same thing, I get one short burst of in and out network activity.

Another thing I tried was to click on the Secure sign in mode. I get a similar short burst of activity then nothing.

Putting this together with what I think I remember from using KM before this problem started several weeks ago, I have a theory.

I think when I was able to get into Yahoo before it was automaticly choosing the secure connection. I think the problem comes from SSL and Yahoo forcing that choice on KM.

Now that I got all that typed I thought of changing the user agent to NS 4.76. Yahoo trys to let me in then. At first I thought it resulted in a blank page. But a few seconds later the left frame loaded, after a reload the main mail frame loaded. That is probably due to my bad internet connection though.

After clicking on Check Other Mail (the get POP mail option) I got a "your login has expired." Cookies are enabled, and after clicking on the Check Mail option on the left frame I was allowed into my mail without having to relogin.

If this is a rare problem, it may appear only on recently installed original Win98 systems with few updates. My IE version is 4.72.3110 since I don't use it and didn't want the extra garbage of newer versions.

IE does the same thing KM did when identified as NS 4.76 when I click Check Other Mail. A few seconds after loading the regular mail page (maybe when it finished loading everything). Explorer crashed with an "invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL."

NS 4.79 has the same thing, minus the crash. I am begining to wonder if its a Yahoo bug.

Another thing about this computer that may affect things is that I installed Windows 98 with 98lite. Later I used 98lite's option to uninstall IE to see what that really meant. Like I expected there was really not much uinstalled. All it really did was disable IExplorer.exe. You could still browse the net from regular Explorer. So I reinstalled it.

Date: December 13, 2001 04:44PM

The Yahoo POP mail bug seems to be gone. They have moved it off the main page, so maybe I was using it while they were making the changes.

KM now completely works with Yahoo mail when identified as NS 4.76. It still doesn't work with its default identity.

I also tried it with another webmail site, netaddress.com. I was able to log in identified as KM.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: December 14, 2001 07:19PM

At the time of this writing, I can't even access my.yahoo.com.

But I remember a change on the yahoo site and indeed it looked like a secure connection. I visit my.yahoo.com and didn't have any problems accessing, till now. Also the last few weeks I regularly looked at my mail and didn't have problems either.

hmm I just did a tracert and I can't get through.
If I go to www.yahoo.com it's ok.

So for now my.yahoo.com has a problem.

Bernard

Date: December 16, 2001 06:36PM

Any plans to have a per site setting for user agent.

It may be a while before many site developers care that gecko is usable. I don't know that even a 1.1 release from Mozilla will solve that problem. Compuserve using gecko will help if they are happy with trial results. If AOL will switch over that would do it, but that isn't too likely now that MS survived the monopoly trial.

If possible, this would be best as a macro so those who don't want to use it don't have to load it. It could be set to the url of the page like geocities.com/ielover or to the entire site like ielover.com. Then the macro just checks the URL KM is going to and if it is in the list send the specific user agent string, if not send the default string.

I don't think this should be a high priority, but I think it would make using KM as your main browser a lot better.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: December 16, 2001 11:31PM

You can, technically, already do this. Check out <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/ConfigPolicy.html">; http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/ConfigPolicy.html</a>;. A few creative macros (to create new security sites, etc) should do the trick.

-- Jeff

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.