General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: K-Meleon 0.9 Beta - version 2 - FOR TESTING
Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 23, 2004 06:22AM

Andrew,

Once again, it looks like I boolixed up something with that particular install of 174b2.

I uninstalled my version, which I had played with in the config files. I reinstalled a fresh copy and kept it virgin. It does clear the cache in Win98se, so it was something I did when I tried to disable the ability to clear cookies and passwords.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 23, 2004 04:45PM

OK. Thanks for following up on that.

Posted by: Batifol
Date: October 23, 2004 10:40PM

Hello,

K-Meleon 0.9b2, Win ME, Java JRE 1.5.0.
For the pages with Java Applet i get this error message: java.lang. NullPointerException, then K-meleon crashes.

JRE 1.5.0 works fine with Firefox, Opera, IE, also with K-Meleon 0.8.2 but sometimes KM crashes without error message.

Batifol

Posted by: Geoff
Date: October 24, 2004 07:44PM

Hello all. I've noticed odd behavior with the cursor in this version of K-meleon (downloaded from the above link). When I go to Google, the cursor focus doesn't automatically go to the search box on the website as it does with any other browser (Opera, Netscape, Firefox, IE). In other words, I have to "click" on the box to start the cursor blinking before I can type in my search. This happens whether I use a bookmark link to http://www.google.com or type in the address in the address bar. Minor, but a little annoying! Thanks.

Other than than, Beta 2 has been great. I've used it for about 6 hours of heavy web surfing with no problems.

Posted by: ra
Date: October 24, 2004 08:01PM

Batifol,

can you please provide some example URLs?

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 24, 2004 08:08PM

case it is time sensitive: Batifol mentioned yahoo bridge games in:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=18907&t=18907

Date: October 25, 2004 08:27AM

With JRE 1.5.0 all URL with Java applets pages crashes KM 0.9b2, first i get the error message java.lang.NullPointerException then KM crashes.

Batifol

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: October 25, 2004 02:34PM

What Geoff is mentioning is right. I have had the same behaviour already on more links then just Google, but here you have my two links (as ra asked):

http://www.google.nl/
http://helm2.sohosted.com/

Jan.

Date: October 25, 2004 04:20PM

Okay, we're talking about two issues here.

Issue 1: Java crashes

With JRE 1.5.0 all URL with Java applets pages crashes KM 0.9b2, first i get the error message java.lang.NullPointerException then KM crashes.

So it should be easy for you to post at least one example URL shouldn't it?

I don't have any sites using Java in my bookmarks that I know of, my own pages work and I BTW do not intent to register to get to see those pages.

Okay, here's an example that I googled for you: http://www.ibdprince.com/java2.shtml. Works flawless, no crashes at all, using the *latest* 0.9 beta build, Java 1.5.0 and Windows XP SP2, here.

Please provide the pages that you get crashes on! "java.lang.NullPointerException" indicates a bug in the *applet*, not in the browser.

Issue 2: Focus vs. input box

The no-focus-in-the-input-box-issue is probably macros-related. If macros are off (don't forget to restart K-M) the input box on Google has focus, with macros it hasn't (same build config. as described above). jsnj?

Date: October 25, 2004 04:28PM

The dot after it is of course *not* part of the URL, so the example is actually located here: http://www.ibdprince.com/java2.shtml

Strange, that the forum is adding the dot to the URL, that shouldn't happen. ;-/

Date: October 25, 2004 04:57PM

ok, this site http://www.ibdprince.com/java2.shtml generates the error message.

Works with KM 0.8.2 and others browsers

Batifol

Date: October 25, 2004 05:01PM

my home page has more applets:
http://home.htp-tel.de/sterntaler/
i also have links to applet resources e. g: http://www.anfyteam.com/
they host 52 differnt types. http://www.modernminds.com/ which also have powerfull applet types.

A k-m is normally the best browser for java sites.

And IMHO sounds like bad install of browser and/or java problem (that is a java fault message) because Jan is using that combination of browser and jvm under Win XP.

Reason why i think bad install: i had that very same namely random crashes with my
very first install of 0.8.2. the fault messaage and the crashes are not related.

Date: October 25, 2004 07:01PM

After a clean reinstall of KM-0.9b2 and JRE 1.5.0
http://home.htp-tel.de/sterntaler/
http://www.anfyteam.com/
http://www.modernminds.com/
generates the usual error message when it load an applet, then KM 0.9b2 crashes.

But great sites browsed with KM 0.8.2, thanks.

May be I should be left with KM 0.8.2 and wait the official KM 0.9.

Batifol

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: October 25, 2004 07:09PM

No problems here Guenter with those sites, KM-0.9b2 and JRE1.5.0
Only point is that KM is using more then 60mB of memory ;-))
Strange....
Jan.

Date: October 25, 2004 07:25PM

Sorry, sorry......
Only a profile problem, KM 0.9b2 now works with JRE 1.5.0.
I have to understand why my old profile generates this error.
Batifol

Date: October 25, 2004 07:25PM

Mmh, have you installed the JRE in the default location?

Is there more than one jre on your PC?

I think I already asked that ...

Does about:plugins show the JRE? What plugins have you in your plugins folder?

Is anyone around who is using Windows Me, too? Does Java work with 0.9 beta?

Date: October 25, 2004 07:54PM

Batifol - i am sorry - I hope it is not because of my page. With me it stopped after reinstall of 0.8.2 - that was early in January i think. i had nothing like it again except with monkeesages brews. Guess i will install and re-test with 1.5jvm

i was always quite certain that all applets on my page - except the lady where the writing is and the halloween weather applet are safe for all Gecko browsers. the weather applet can possibly stall MSIEs (if they are badly configured).

i tested my page even with old Athlon 450- & many things with even slower machines - the old lake 4 class and other classes used have been around since 2000 or so.

Some like the rivers made with RippleApplet from Modern Mind and some of the combis require more RAM but untill now they only crashed machines that had many programs on and/or were badly configured.

what operating system and RAM do you have? maybe that can give a clue?

well untill 0.9 is java proof on Your machine best use a 0.8.2, 0.8.2+ or 0.7.1
for going to applet sites like mine and Yahoo card gaames.

Jan,
on my site? oh oh.
which music plugin?
it should not go much over 40 with quicktime used. Less e. g. with beatnik.
Maybe Your bigger monitor? Else i have to redesign my pages or ?

Date: October 25, 2004 09:19PM

Sorry, sorry......
Only a profile problem, KM 0.9b2 now works with JRE 1.5.0.
I have to understand why my old profile generates this error.

After deleting the file 98206326.s in my old profile, JRE 1.5 works with KM 0.9b2.
I think that file 98206326.s was created by this pref:
user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "98206326.s");

I don't understand why this file generates the java error, i am not a computer scientist.

Batifol

Date: October 25, 2004 09:33PM

Okay, good to hear that everything's alright now.

You generally shouldn't use old profiles with new K-M-versions. There will be problems. (And a clean setup is only a clean setup if it is a clean setup. ;-) )

BTW: I don't think this file in particular caused the problem, .s- and .w- files can be taken over from an old setup. Their structure has not changed. Your passwords and form autocompletion is saved in these.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 26, 2004 04:52AM

The no-focus-in-the-input-box-issue is probably macros-related. If macros are off (don't forget to restart K-M) the input box on Google has focus, with macros it hasn't (same build config. as described above). jsnj?

Hmm...I can't reproduce this. When I tried the posted links, focus was in the input boxes and I was able to type immediately. There's nothing going on in the macros script on page load that's any different from 0.8.2 w/Groups and that would have any effect on focus. I don't know what to tell ya. :-/. Win2k SP4

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: October 26, 2004 05:54AM

I sometimes get blank screens when opening sites. It does not happen often, and it happens for different sites. Sometimes a site works then other times I get the blank screen.

Normally the address bar has no text in it when this happens.

Windows 2000

PS: When I click Help | About K-Meleon I get:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.4) Gecko/20041010 K-Meleon/0.9b

Posted by: Carson
Date: October 26, 2004 11:40AM

About the About ID....

Fellows, Nicholas is using 0.9b beta 2 (I think you said that, somewhere else, Nicholas?) But that ID needs to be fixed with the next release, doesn't it?

-- 0.9b should include "beta 2" (as noted elsewhere)
-- Gecko/20041010 must have been dated before the release came out. Jan put up his first 0.9b on October 11th. The official 0.9b came out on the 13th. And I believe beta 2 was made available on the 18th.

Nicholas' using the ID line is common practice with Firefox. IMHO future K-Ms should be sure to do an ID check the very last thing before they are released.

Date: October 26, 2004 09:52PM

Hmm...I can't reproduce this. When I tried the posted links, focus was in the input boxes and I was able to type immediately.

Please try again with disabled layers. Makes a difference for me.

There's nothing going on in the macros script on page load that's any different from 0.8.2 w/Groups and that would have any effect on focus. I don't know what to tell ya. :-/. Win2k SP4

I'll look into that (and the macro clipboard thing) again - tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. No time left right now, sorry.

Date: October 28, 2004 09:18PM

The no-focus-in-the-input-box-issue is weird. Just tried it again with a fresh 'n clean beta 2 setup. The cursor was in the input box the first time I opened Google (com). Then I clicked around in the menus, clicked the browser area, went to the homepage, opened Google (com) again and it wasn't. Tried it again and again => no. But it is while the page is loading. I can see the cursor flicker in the input box while reloading the page, afterwards the focus is gone/stolen. Disabling macros or layers did not change anything this time.

So I tried several Google homepages and it looks like it works when I'm opening the specific URL for the first time ever ("ever"'s probably related to the cache or history). Any subsequent loads won't have focus in the input box, but the first one will!

Anyone noticing s.th. similar?

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: November 04, 2004 09:17AM

The status bar: It seems to me that it is not fully synchronised with the page loading process. Sometime the bar has no activity, but when moving the mouse over a page, I get an hourglass, signifying that the page is still loading?

Is it possible to have "Done" in the status bar when a page has been successfully loaded?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.