General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Goodbye Opera, Hello Kmeleon.
Posted by: Liam
Date: December 17, 2001 11:34AM

Ahh it is a sad day when I uninstall Opera. But as of the 5.0 release Opera has just not been up to snuff. Kmeleon crashes less, runs plugins better (half the reason it crashes less I am sure), and the only thing I could dislike about it is no more integrated email client (if someone could point me to a nice small one which gets the job done without skins please email me or post a link here), and the download manager was very useful when I was on 56k.

Kmeleon is argueably the BEST Gecko based browser out there. I like its small footprint although not quite as small as opera, and its fine UI. However I am new to Kmeleon, and I was wondering if I could somehow change the keyboard navigation shortcuts to something easier then alt left/right/etc.

A few things I have noticed about kmeleon that I like and dislike.

Well done skinning, I dont need flashy borders and 10megs in .pngs overloading my application for it to be better (oh I wish trillian had a unskinned version).

Good UI, one thing I disliked about opera was I couldnt put the navigation buttons anywhere to my liking. The rightclick navigation menu is also a plus.

Lack of integrated email and download managers. I know you guys dont want to bloat kmeleon more, so I can agree with the email client, but a download manager would be nice. Perhaps not a complex one, but just a simple retry if your download ever gets disconnected built into your downloading file window.

MDI vs SDI, its a strange thing. I like how opera works soemwhat, but the simplicity of it all being on 1 taskbar is nice aswell. Tabs would be nice like Netscape, but I can live without it.

Just a few question I have.

Can I change the keyboard navigation hotkeys?

What will the real changes between .6 and 1.0 be? This browser seems closest to perfection for me as possible.

Well thankyou for this browser at first I was skeptical anything could replace opera for me, but I do really think Ill be keeping this browser as my main from now on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goodbye Opera, Hello Kmeleon.
Posted by: Orphee
Date: December 17, 2001 02:32PM

>Can I change the keyboard navigation hotkeys?

Of course, you can ! Just explore the Edit - Preferences - Configs panel. There, you have to two tabs called Menus and Accelerators. Look at them very carefully, they are very easy to understand. Then, you'll be able to change all hotkeys, and to define your own ones.

Hope this helps,

Orphée

Posted by: rick
Date: December 17, 2001 03:53PM

I too have forsaken Opera (5.1 and 6.0) in favor of K-M, although my preferences couldn't be much different from yours.

Opera has become a hog lately, and is no longer preferred due to its lost speed. For me, the current interface K-M is more than sufficient, as I turn off all the UI buttons anyway. The Font Size Toggle in a previous note fixed my only gripe.

So far, K-M is much more reliable at rendering than Opera ever has been, particularly those multitude of pages that violate standards.

Java is an issue, as I am completely unable to make it work in K-M, but then, it never worked worth a d**m in Opera until v6.0. I keep IE 5.02 around for those few pages I need that use Java.

I would like a Shift+Click shortcut to open a link in a new window, but The "Open in Background" feature is an excellent tradeoff.

Overall, a great browser, and that's all I want from it. Whatever you do, please don't start feature bloat - make it more perfect in it's jewel-like perfection, but don't make it a bigger jewel...

Posted by: Tensaiji
Date: December 17, 2001 08:09PM

I just though I'd speak up as (yet another) ex-Opera fan. K-melon smashes Opera's claim-to-fame as the fastest browser on the planet because gecko is so obviously quicker. To add to that, K-melon has rare lack of bloat and good stability.

My only criticisms (or rather suggestions) are that some form of multiple browser interface or tabbing system should be introduced (that is one thing that Opera does very well) and the fact that it is difficult to integrate with any download manager.

Still - this is a great browser - show em how it's done!

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: December 18, 2001 06:11AM

Well, I haven't totally forsaken Opera, and I won't, cuz there are those odd moments. A couple of days ago, I was trying to get a very elusive program. Found link to site, and crashed the silly lizzerd four times trying to get there. Said phark it and reverted to Opera. Got the proggy. Beats me, there was nothing so weird about the site, but K-M couldn't load it.

Posted by: Donny_S
Date: December 21, 2001 02:33PM

>if someone could point me to a nice small one which gets the job done without >skins please email me or post a link here

It depends on what you want to do. I use Popcorn for most of my mail now, but I also use OE for sending photos or other attachments (www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn). With Popcorn, I setup inbox and outbox folders, and the program can automatically append outgoing mail to a single file.

Posted by: Josh
Date: December 25, 2001 11:55AM

I've also one who has left the cult of Opera. I can clearly see behind the hood that it's not the fastest broswer on Earth. K-M has it beat.

For one looking for an email client, have you tried Pegasus Mail? I use it after I gave up on Netscape's email/news client, OE, and Eudora. Their site is http://www.pmail.com/.

I still use Netscape as my default, but K-M is high on my list.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: December 25, 2001 09:34PM

Phoenix Mail - http://www.discountdrive.com/sunrise/
Pegasus is FAT and ornery. Phoenix is lean, free, open-source, and cool enough to chill beer.

Posted by: SG
Date: January 21, 2002 07:20PM

Pegasus is fat? Maybe the latest version - I've been using an older version for a while now and am quite happy with it. But I also use text-only. Will try out phoenix, if only for the cool name! winking smiley

Just about to try k-meleon, I develop sites so java compatibility is important (please don't be so bad as to make me go back to IE!) and so is having unlimited favorites - I have 2184 as of today, and it will just keep going up. (My friends joke that I should start my own search engine. *g*)

Will try the GUL bookmark manager, but unlimited favorites in km itself would probably be a good idea.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.