One step forward, two steps back?
Posted by: Nicholas
Date: October 29, 2004 08:38AM

Going from 0.8.2 to the Weselbalg(sp). 0.9b and 0.9b2: was it a good experience? For me, 0.8.2 will have a special spot in my heart. Always.

I really feel and experience that this is the fastest k-m out. I dunno if the new Mozilla 1.7.4 is to be blamed, or my settings. But 0.8.2 is really great.

Personally, I feel that the newer versions (granted they not official) are a bit slower. I hope by the official we all will get what we want: fast and secure browsing. I know, I know, we are never 100% secure, but I am sure you get it.

Here's to the devs! Make us proud!

Re: One step forward, two steps back?
Posted by: Carson
Date: October 29, 2004 01:04PM

There was an earlier discussion about "official". The work-in-progress ARE official, but you are referring to something more of a final product. A milestone, or a stable build.

The first K-M that worked well for me was Sebastian's 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg. I don't think I had a satisfactor 0.8.2, but I might go back and set one up.

It is hoped that you will keep testing the beta 2, and, very soon, the beta 3 (or whatever it's called). If you really enjoy the 0.8.2, you can easily use both. I have 5 K-Ms on my destop at the moment. (Some are clones of the same build.) It is also useful for comparisons, like your speed comparisons. I'm sure you're right about that.

I've seen computers work faster, but I've never seen programs work faster. Actually they do, but they always are given more work at the same time.

The fastest I've ever seen were DOS programs, such as WORD 4 and 5, which were as fast as your pressing the button. Instantaneous. They were superb programs, but your documents looked fairly much like the text you see right here!

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: October 29, 2004 02:07PM

Yep, true about DOS. I have the fullest confidence in the km devs. They have come very far with this lovely browser.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 29, 2004 04:24PM

agree about Dos - Norton and Volcov commander!
& i still use - when i have problems with win!

& speed of differnt k-m depend greatly on individual system configuration
and what want You do (Your individual surfing patterns) - like Carson i have
more than one and use them for what each does best here.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.