General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: K-meleon vs. Firefox
Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 24, 2004 04:21AM

It's just a couple threads down from this one. :-) Here's the direct link.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mmoy
Date: November 24, 2004 04:21AM

I tried what was in the download section. I just looked at the date. The thing is almost a year old! I take it that updates aren't that frequent?

BTW, did you get my note on using the July TBE with 1.0? That works great for me. The only gotcha is that TBE won't install on 1.0. So you have to create a profile, run 092, install TBE, then use 1.0.

One of these days, I should modify 7/2004 TBE so that it will install on 1.0. Maybe
if there's some demand for it.

If there's a beta, you should put it on the download page so that adventurous folks can take a look. I figure you have to be adventurous to try an open source product.

Date: November 24, 2004 04:26AM

I'll give it a try. I'm swapping in an optimized memset from eMule right now and it's an iterative build process (had to hack MSVS 2003.net) where you build, it craps out on a missing symbol, do some magic to fix the module, update the script, build again and wait for the next link failure.

The process takes several hours so I'm just surfing around while it's running.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 24, 2004 04:36AM

I second that jsnj as I find the 0.9b3 to be anything BUT minimalistic! Quite to contrary as it's loaded with buttons and options galore to make someone like me (I can see Al get a good chuckle, eh Al? winking smiley ) a very satisfied user indeed!

And not just icons to pretty everything up and look so impressive, but also options enough from the drop-down menubar to make your head swim!

Plus, the GDI Cache bug has finally been quashed! Yeehaw! And so true to my word I've got a new default browser! I'm just hoping that they don't go and change the Gecko engine and risk losing the patch again after finally getting it into this build. It would be a real crying shame.

The one thing I dislike and haven't been able to figure out yet is how to set the middle mouse click to open the tab (OUPS! Layer, sorry!) in the background. jsnj? Or anybody?

And secondly: I'll be glad when the menus are translated into French, if that does happen. Looks a little odd to have my T-Bird in French and browser in English.

Lastly: I took a look into possibly doing theming for this, what it'd be like. Whoa! The files sure have become much more complicated! I guess the best bet would be now to pick a theme, like Phoenity, and model your theme exactly on that basis, setting up your icons to completely match those of Phoenity. That way you could take those icons out, insert your icons, and never have to change a .cfg file. That would seem to be the easiest way from my end anyway.

At any rate, I surfed for 8 hours today trying every way I could think to crash this browser and she ran like a charm! I'm in awe...

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 24, 2004 04:41AM

I second that jsnj as I find the 0.9b3 to be anything BUT minimalistic! Quite to contrary as it's loaded with buttons and options galore to make someone like me (I can see Al get a good chuckle, eh Al? winking smiley ) a very satisfied user indeed!

It's not cluttered though. Shouldn't be an intimidating site upon first view the way some of the IE Based browsers appear on first view with buttons & toolbars taking up half the screen.

The one thing I dislike and haven't been able to figure out yet is how to set the middle mouse click to open the tab (OUPS! Layer, sorry!) in the background. jsnj? Or anybody?

Read the top of the accelerators file via Tools-Advanced Preferences-Accelerators or Edit-Preferences-Configs-Accelerators

Date: November 24, 2004 04:54AM

I spent a few minutes looking at the options and getting the feel of it. It's a lot nicer than the previous version as there are many more bells and whistles. The options seem to be reasonably easy to figure out.

I'd say performance is comparable to my latest Firefox. Some things are faster in one and others are faster in the other. Some things are pretty close.

One thing that I noticed is that KM doesn't have autozoom when displaying images that are larger than the window. Autozoom is a rather expensive feature and you can get much better rendering performance without it but I've grown to like it as I sometimes use the browser to display albums.

Theme was a little confusing as I prefer simpler themes. I use littlefirefox by Alfred.

The use of scripts all over the place won't cut it with the average browser user.

I do add my own browser features using Javascript scripts but the level of scripting here reminds me of configuring some parts of Opera (7.something).

The 1 MB memory cache default was a bit odd. I usually keep my memory cache at 200 MB.

I guess I'm rather spoiled by the heavy feature-set of Firefox. And TabBrowser Extensions. But I'll keep an eye on KM.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 24, 2004 05:41AM

Eyes-Only,

On that theme thing. Yes, please, someone model Early Blue after Phoenity and make it up to date. It's not that I hate Phoenity as much as I love Early Blue and miss it too.

N
(using Klassic for now)

Posted by: day
Date: November 27, 2004 11:54PM

k-meleon is better

Posted by: day
Date: November 28, 2004 03:27AM

yea

Posted by: Al.
Date: November 28, 2004 11:35PM

On that theme thing. Yes, please, someone model Early Blue after Phoenity and make it up to date. It's not that I hate Phoenity as much as I love Early Blue and miss it too.

Not to worry ndebord, I intend to update all my themes to be current with v0.9 soon enough. Because of the slight differences between the versions, there will probably have to be two different versions available for download: Pre v0.9 version and v0.9+ version of the theme (for those people who want to stick with v0.8). Luckily enough because of the previous work I did with the macro Bonus Packs fortunately with most of the themes there are already additional icons in place to cover the new functions.

If you're really in a hurry for an updated Early Blue theme, you can drop me an email and I can send you a copy of it to beta test, which would ensure that the theme works and looks right with v0.9 of K-Meleon.

Date: November 28, 2004 11:53PM

Hey Al? Want to take over my 4 themes? My theming days are apparently over unfortunately. sad smiley I retain rights to my 0.8.2, and that I may alter them still in any way I see fit, plus still offer them on my website for download, and 0.9 are all relinquished to your control?

If not then they'll have to die out as I doubt anyone else would be capable or have your finesse and fine touch at it. Aaron is THE BEST themer of Mozilla---Al is THE BEST of K-Meleon IMHO. smiling smiley

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Posted by: Al.
Date: November 29, 2004 01:36AM

Hey Al? Want to take over my 4 themes? My theming days are apparently over unfortunately. sad smiley I retain rights to my 0.8.2, and that I may alter them still in any way I see fit, plus still offer them on my website for download, and 0.9 are all relinquished to your control?

Alrighty, I'll help you out with them and make them compatible with v0.9. You'll still get credit as the original author, and I'll basically just put the new versions into your section of the themes Wiki (listed as v0.9 compatible along with the original v0.8 versions). I'll probably make a run on them within a week (which is a rough estimate of how long it'll take me on my own themes).

I'll let you have a look at them (via email) before I post the end results so you'll have first looks and approval.

Posted by: David Latapie
Date: May 29, 2005 09:46AM

Hello,

I know it had been a long time since then but I finally posted a summary of K-meleon on my blog, in French (Eyes-only could check I did not made any mistake).

http://blog.empyree.org/?2005/05/29/1371-firefox-et-k-meleon-la-porsche-et-le-44

Enjoy (or not)

Posted by: Martin
Date: May 31, 2005 02:53PM

K-Meleon is the only good browser that runs on one of my old special purpose machines - Pentium I 166, 64.

IE is not a good browser. FF is too resource demanding.

HOUGH, I have spoken.

Date: June 01, 2005 04:26AM

Thanks for your nice little review David! I left you a little comment---in my very poor French, but very best Akadien winking smiley I hope that you'll not be a stranger around here, but that you'll return soon with more questions about our little browser as it keeps progressing towards v1.0.

Hmm... I am also curious, should you come back to check this thread again, whether or not you have tried some of the personal builds out there, like Hao's, Fred's, and then Guenter's Upgrades? A very nice experience in the K-Meleon World I've been told (I personally run Guenter's upgrades to the GRE engine---he did the least changes to the K-Meleon itself).

Good luck in all you endeavour to do in life my friend!

Amicalement mon bon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 01, 2005 06:05AM

hope You mon aminche - will host ur upgrades.

Date: June 01, 2005 09:56PM

High Indian friend (Cherokee?). I returned but without any automatic notification of new messages, I will doubtly do it again.

I did not tried any upgrade, since I still don't have any Windows (well, I have a Virtual PC somewhere, but still).

As for your French, it is very good indeed :-) Félicitations.
I must admit you are the very forst Acadien person I meet (I was in Quebec 3 years ago and expected to go to Anticosti until I realised that Quebec is much bigger than France). See you on http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadie (if you have some examples of litterary writing in Acadian —not Chiac, please— I'm interested.

Back to K-meleon. What about a text on K-meleon upgrades? I accept subscriptions in any language - with a preference for French and Slovene. Eyes-only, if you write in French, I can even send you a correction back, as I'm a professionnal French teacher, so you would both improve the « Spread K-meleon campaign » and your already outstanding French level.

Lep pozdrav.

Date: June 02, 2005 03:44PM

Platform-specific Gecko-based browser roundup, with K-meleon as the first entry.

http://internet.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/03/1649210

Posted by: 666
Date: June 03, 2005 05:28AM

Firefox has the adblock plugin which leaves K-Meleons image blocker out in the rain.

Which is why I ditched KM and went back to FF.

Posted by: everling
Date: June 03, 2005 06:06AM

I just use Privoxy as an adblocker and a privacy tool, it works for any browser that supports proxies.  :-)

The only reason I use Firefox nowadays is for its built-in simple handling of RSS and for the DOM Inspector tool.

Date: June 03, 2005 08:30PM

Actually 666 Mozilla/Firefox's AdBlock extension has been successfully added to K-Meleon a long time ago. You'd have known this had you checked out one of Hao's builds of course. winking smiley

Myself, I use a very competent userContent.css file which is quite exhaustive in scope. This has been transferred to ALL of my Gecko builds from my four K-Meleons, to my Firefox, my Suites (1.7.3 - 1.7.7 as 8 hadn't come out in my language yet), Netscape, and Beonex. The ONLY ad which has ever gotten through is the Mozilla Store's ad! LOL!

Then as everling has pointed out, there are a plethora of ways in which to filter ads as well. So AdBlock isn't the "only muscle man on the beach". winking smiley

[Feeding the trolls]

@David: Merci mille fois! Tu es trôp génial à moi!

Moi, je suis un moitié d'indien de la Tribu abenaki. Ces sont les indiens qui s'habitent dans le nord-est de les États-Unis (Vermont, Nouveau Hampshire, et au Maine---moi, j'habite au Maine), et dans l'est du Canada, à Québec et aux Maritîmes, tu sais? Papa était abenaki et irlandais et maman était mohawk et français---mon grand-père est devenu du nord de France. smiling smiley

Mais c'est une histoire très longue pourquoi Akadien est ma langue natale. Brièvement: c'est à la cause que je suis adoptif et ma famille a parlé l'Akadien. Tu comprends maintenant? héhé!

Malheuresement, je ne sais rien en régards à la chose Acadian litteraire. Excuse-moi, s'il tu-plait...

Bonne chance en tout ce que tu vas faire mon ami!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Date: October 22, 2005 12:09AM

[Off-Topic]

Si tu veux lire un peu de français, tu peux aller sur mon blog htttp://blog.empyree.org/. Sur la droite, un système de catégorie te permet de ne voir que ce qui t'intéresse, comme http://blog.empyree.org/?Panda_rouge ou http://blog.empyree.org/?Windows…

I also have a (scarce) English section (http://blog.empyree.org/?en)

[/Off-Topic]

Out of that, Camino is still not evolving a lot.

Posted by: Avatar
Date: October 13, 2007 11:55AM

Ones stronger browser may be others weaker , i love that K-meleon is unpopular thats why i use good old 0.8 since the devs seem to add too much bloatware into it like ugly page not accessed stuff and junkfiles like languages i never use smiling smiley
I love that extensions and toolbars do not work on it and no update tags either Hey i would love a k-meleon 1.xx that is as swift as 0.8 i would love if it ate less ram as well...
the 2 browsers i use are K-meleon and offbyone .
Firefox / IE and Mshtml browsers are Slow-down-your-computer stuff

Date: October 13, 2007 04:24PM

junkfiles like languages i never use smiling smiley

You can feel free to translate it to Swedish for Yourself and others smiling smiley

Toolbars
Posted by: Luis
Date: October 14, 2007 06:28PM

sorry to interupt the conversation but can i get toolbars on this browser like google toolbar (just downloaded K-mellon 5 minutes ago HELP! please)

Date: October 14, 2007 06:39PM

You are welcome to inrupt this conversation, which started many years ago smiling smiley

Google toolbar is a Firefox extension that does not work at the moment.
You will find that some Firefox extensions work but this one does not.

K-Meleon extensions page. Most K-Meleon extensions are translated to French and German but not to Flamish or Dutch..

Greetings to beautiful Belgium

Posted by: Luis
Date: October 14, 2007 08:02PM

thanks a lot doesnt matter its not in flemish or dutch i live in belgium but am English thanks again luis

Posted by: www.b-1st.com
Date: December 21, 2007 02:10PM

Kmeleon is excellent. The portable version didnt work in my case though. Why not rename layers to "tab"?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 21, 2007 07:11PM

The next official version will have true tabs. It is available as alfa code now.
You can get to try at this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,75092,page=1
Note: 1.5a1 is so stable that I have made it my default browser. Tabs work great.
Sorry, but I don't have any info on making it portable.

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: December 21, 2007 07:58PM

Much of the ground work on making K-Meleon portable was done, I believe, by Douglas with some help from Dorian. The KM1.5a"x" versions (what ever update you use, update 1 or update 2, or Build21) can be made portable in the same way as the previous versions - and it works very well.

For details on how to do this, see Douglas' site, here, or see Jujuland (Alain's site), here. Also, info on how to build a portable version can be found within this forum.

Alain's site, Jujuland, has version 1.1.2 already packaged in a pocket / portable version. Douglas' site has an older version, K-M 1.0.2, I believe.

Be sure to close K-M on your PC before installing the pocket version - including the K-M loader that resides in the system tray. Generally, always install to a new folder - don't over-write. Assuming you'll be installing Pocket K-M to a USB stick, you must open Pocket K-M by double-clicking on the executable that resides on the stick - not the K-M icon that resides in the MSWindows Start Menu. If you have a "menu" application on the USB stick, that program should also point to Pocket K-M on the stick. If you need a good USB menu program, I suggest Qsel, found here.

I agree with JamesD that KM1.5ax is very stable and I also use it as my default browser in a Pocket version. One caution, though, is that you currently must set the cache to -0- by using about:config. Otherwise, history can be set to -0- with F2 preferences and clean-up can be done via Tools > Privacy > Clear Data > Clear Data Automatically ... If you are not keen on all of this, I suggest using Alain's Pocket version of K-M 1.1.2, as the settings that are suitable for USB installations are already set when the program is installed (Alain's link is above in this msg). I have used Alain's Pocket version and it works very well.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.