Funny character when surfing
Posted by: Nicholas
Date: November 18, 2004 07:09AM

Why am I getting this funny character when surfing: It is a ? in a black diamond background. I view the page in IE, and it is the British Pound sign.

Re: Funny character when surfing
Date: November 18, 2004 08:13AM

Sorted! Changed Encoding to Western.

Date: November 22, 2004 07:25AM

I seem to have to have to:
- View | Encoding | Western ... every now and then. Is this setting not permanent? Can I make it permanent?

0.9.3b3

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 22, 2004 09:43AM

Try searching the Forums for force charset or force encoding.

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 22, 2004 02:17PM

I had a strange character too, which looked like an alternate cursor. Couldn't get rid of it, and I didn't know where it came from. Eventually I used Task Manager to end the browser task, and it was OK when I restarted.

-- As well, I sometimes lose all the bookmarks that are on my bookmarks toolbar. The toolbar is there, but empty. They likewise return on a browser restart.

These are not serious problems. I still have had not one single crash. And I think that vindicates my computer! So I'm happy!

Posted by: ra
Date: November 22, 2004 05:30PM

As well, I sometimes lose all the bookmarks that are on my bookmarks toolbar. The toolbar is there, but empty. They likewise return on a browser restart.

Well, slowly I begin to assume that Ulf doesn't get my e-mails or doesn't read them or whatever. ;-( This was/is a new bug that slipped in when Ulf removed the bookmarks toolbar leak - at least I think so, but I haven't used the toolbar for a looong time now because of the leak - anyway, I reported the bug to Ulf on the 28th of October..

Please try the following (quote from my e-mail to Ulf) and report back here if you can reproduce it (I didn't check that against the latest version of the plugin!):

Enable the bookmarks toolbar, restart K-Meleon.

Let's call the open window window 1. Choose any link and open it in a
new window (or background window) to create window 2.

Close window 1.

In window 2 choose any link and open it in a new window (or background
window) to create window 3.

In window 3 and any subsequent windows the bookmarks toolbar will be
gone.

- The toolbar won't disappear if window 1 is kept open.

It doesn't matter how much pages you visit in the windows.

Posted by: Nick
Date: November 22, 2004 09:36PM

££££££$$$$$$

I thought you installed Bonzi buddy for a minute...

Nick (England).

Posted by: frederik
Date: November 24, 2004 11:36PM

@ra:

its funny that you already mentioned this bug and got no reaction.
As you can see in this thread

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=19584&t=19584

I noticed it too and it seems to be ignored also since several days now -> no reaction.
Whats the reason for that? Because it can't happen what must not happen - or something like that?
All in all it's really disappointing......meanwhile I changed back to my old browser cause of it.

Greetings

frederik

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 25, 2004 05:25AM

Ra,

Did the get posted to the devs list? It sounds familiar but I think I might be confusing it with something jsnj was trying to work out.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 25, 2004 05:56AM

Frederick. What bug are you referring to? That thread you linked to has more than 1 listed.

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 25, 2004 06:10AM

ra, I just read this now. Sorry I'm late replying. I'll try the experiment in the morning. Meanwhile, most of the time the browser is doing VERY well. I have no serious complaints at all. :-) I have seen a few little things, but unfortunately they happened when I was working quite hard and I was not able to stop and document them.

But none of them were important. This has to be the best browser I've ever used. Hao's version of it works just as well.

Date: November 25, 2004 02:54PM

jsnj.
I'm refering to the 'bookmarks-toolbar-suddenly-hides-from-the-enduser-for-no-obvious-reason'-bug and it seems to me it is exactly the same what ra described above.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 25, 2004 06:10PM

OK. I was able to reproduce it but slightly different. When following the steps ra specified, my bookmark toolbar remained, but it was blank(no bookmarks on it). I haven't tried it with Favorites & Hotlist plugins yet.

Posted by: ra
Date: November 25, 2004 07:46PM

Andrew,

Did the get posted to the devs list?

no, I sent my bug-report directly to Ulf. I'm not happy with the idea of ending up in the dev-list's eternal, googl'able archive..

But as this bug is a 100% repro and Ulf is the only one that is able to fix it (after he has broken it <g>) I don't see much of a use in the dev-list in this case anyway. ;-)

jsnj,

When following the steps ra specified, my bookmark toolbar remained, but it was blank(no bookmarks on it). I haven't tried it with Favorites & Hotlist plugins yet.

That's what I see, too. I guess I should've been a bit more precise (again).. :-) The toolbar will be completely empty and there won't be any indicator whatsoever that it once was the bookmarks toolbar.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the same bug, frederik?

Date: November 25, 2004 10:55PM

I'm also not sure, but since I can't see any of the links that were there before, my wild guess is that it has to be the same bug. Or is there such a big amount of them? I hope not. I'm not very good at nitpicking, but I see that a clear description might be important for the devs to be able to fix it. I will have to check it out again to make sure that the b-toolbar is still there too in my case.

Date: November 25, 2004 11:13PM

ok, checked it out. It was simple. I opened a link from the bookmarks-toolbar, closed the about:blank layer and clicked the bookmarks-toolbarlink to the km-forums. Here I am, with the bookmark-toolbar still there, but empty.

Btw. jsnj, just checked the compact-menu thing and it's really a nice improvement! Good job!

frederik

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.