K-Meleon v0.9 Beta 3
Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 18, 2004 11:59PM

Beta 3 is now available which includes the following changes, bug fixes, and improvements. Please test thoroughly to make sure that they are in fact fixed.

Bug 26 - Accelerator keys should now work for the Main menu even if the rebar plugin is enabled.

RFE 282 - All context/popup menus can now be assigned accelerator keys. Default configuration assigns Alt+P to the Privacy Menu, Alt+U to the User Agent menu, and Alt+S to the Web Search menu.

RFE 658 - By default there will be a Confirm Close Window prompt if attempting to close a window that has several layers.

Groups Macros script has been rewritten somewhat to accomodate the AddLayersToWindow command. You will now be able to open a group or folder without closing or reloading the current layers.

Flashblock has been added which when enabled replaces Macromedia Flash content with a clickable button that allows you to view it only when desired. It can be enabled from Tools-Advanced Preferences-userContent.

RSS Feed functionality is now included with the addition of Aggreg8. It's listed within the Mail and News menu which can be accessed by right-clicking the Mail button.

A few skin updates including additional buttons for RSS and additional Search Engine buttons. All hidden by default. Phoenity will now be displayed upon first view. Lim Chee Aun's original Zoom buttons are now included and the tentatively titled Klassic skin now has Zoom buttons instead of the Font buttons.

From the beta bug page:
* Button & Menu Sync should now be fixed.
* Find In Page Accelerator is now back to Ctrl+F. Find and Highlight is now Ctrl+F3
* GO Button macro should no longer clear clipboard text data.

Codewise the following should be fixed:
* Leaking GDI Objects (Security Icon)
* Extra characters displayed in Layers list
* Cache doesn't clear cleanly
* URL Bar list is now universal and once cleared should be cleared for all windows.

Download Here

Re: K-Meleon v0.9 Beta 3
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: November 19, 2004 01:54AM

Very glad to see a new beta coming out.

Hao

Posted by: J.C.A.N
Date: November 19, 2004 02:04AM

It doesn't render the beta3 in it's signature? Is it because it isn't a official build? Just checking, I want to know if I am using the b3 version over the b2. Hope you don't mind I borrowed your link here from the forums to put on my forum so others viewing can also download the b3 version.

Come on over jsnj (hey the nj wouldn't stand for New Jersey would it?)
K-Meleon the Gecko

Date: November 19, 2004 03:07AM

It doesn't render the beta3 in it's signature?

By signature, do you mean the User Agent string? Since the first 0.9 beta was released it's always just been identified as K-Meleon/0.9b. I guess I could've added 3 to the end of it, but that was never requested or suggested. When in doubt right-click the exe and check the created and/or modified date. Also, the groups menu is slightly different since there's no longer any reference to opening in background.

hey the nj wouldn't stand for New Jersey would it?

No, but I did live there for a couple years in the late 90's.

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: November 19, 2004 04:26AM

Got the download, but won't install until Friday.
Worked to hard on a vehicle today, and I'm sore as hell. Time for the drugs boys!

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: November 19, 2004 07:39AM

Love it! Great stuff!

Now, where is my Block images for [insert website] plugin? :-)

Date: November 19, 2004 08:20AM

This version is literally flying! Wow! Impressive!
Signin on to secure sites is now much-much-much faster than before! And I am now running this version with a "Normal" priority, and it is lightning fast!
A few things:
- Mem usage: With one layer = 95MB. Why?
- CPU usage 20-30%.
- Block images plugin is still missing! /runs away

Posted by: alain.NOSPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: November 19, 2004 08:42AM

I always thought and said it's better to have a way to know the version for exe and kplugins.

For plugins:

I don't know programming, but perhaps by addding informations (date and version) in the kplugin, and a function to ask it to the kplugin. And then display it in preference screen like this:

x Privacy Plugin v1.02a (2004-09-18)
Bitmapped Menus v1.00 (2003-12-08)
x Layered Windows Plugin v2.1 (2004-11-18)

For kmeleon, perhaps an info in exe having build and date (for example in the xtml part at the end of the exe) in fields unused for example the date in 'Comments'. When viewing exe properties, it gives 0.9.0.0, I don't know where it's but it perhaps could handles version + build. After, a simple function to display it in preferences, and that's good.

Date: November 19, 2004 01:38PM

Sometimes when clicking a bookmark from the bookmark toolbar, I get 2 entries in my task bar for km. Checking Task Manager there is also two instances of km running.

Posted by: sensai
Date: November 19, 2004 04:11PM

nice to hear that there is progress in the development.
last few days I used km (the wechselbalg-thingie) quite often and was satisfied so far with his possibilities. One thing I'm missing is a cookie-manager. The option 'allow cookies' or dont isn't enough for me. Will there be an FF-like plugin that asks before accepting a cookie and to make this rule permanent for the choosen/blocked sites?
There is only one site on which I allow to set a cookie, but it's a mess to change settings in km every time I'm finished with it.

would be great if that could be considered imo.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2004 05:12PM

@jsnj - congratulation to You official devs >> all - on fixes. so far i have found no gliches or faults - except that flickering on startup (which might be caused by my slow system & i never look into the mouth...) greetings from Hannover

Date: November 19, 2004 05:17PM

@sensai,
sieh bitte mal alle js durch, das was du willst ist IMHO ne normal pref!
& betref. w-b - solange kein statischer 0.9 ist, wird er schneller bleiben. mfg

Date: November 19, 2004 07:04PM

so far i have found no gliches or faults - except that flickering on startup

Could you describe that a little more? Do you have a group at startup or home page only? And is the flickering the result of jumping from one layer to the next?

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 19, 2004 07:15PM

Man, this is the sweetest browser I've ever used! --and I've used a LOT of them! Congratulations to jsnj and Ulf and all the other mysterious, invisible people who have created such a beauty!

Yes, jsnj, it would be a good idea to make a note to include the beta number, such as K-Meleon 0.9 beta 3, in the HELP >About designation. I think a lot of folks quickly press on there when they just want to check the ID to be sure. So, I would second that.

The CONTENT.CSS in this one has more things going for it. It seems to be the easiest I've used in a K-M, although with each new one I know a little bit more! However, this version has some very easy-to-tweak ad-killers plus it looks like it includes a very good way to shut off Flash. I am so glad to see that!

I have had no difficulties at all so far. I've got to use it for a few days to see whether this build just might take me away from my K-Meleon crash jinx! But, so far so good.

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL K-MELEON YOU GUYS HAVE MADE!!!!

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!! :-)

Date: November 19, 2004 09:14PM

I notice at the Sourceforge download site at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14285 that the K-Meleon still listed for download is last Christmas' 0.8.2.

No doubt the idea is to keep experimental builds away from that list. However, I might suggest reconsidering that.

Is it not true that this 0.9 beta 3 is much more likely to give satisfactory performance than a build a year old?

I would suggest including the really good beta builds, along with a caveat explaining they ARE in test.

Just my 2 cents' worth. :-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 19, 2004 11:10PM

0.9b3 is very nice indeed. Can't say I like Phoenity, but Klassic is more than tolerable and most of the bugs I saw in WIN98se are fixed. Biggest problem so far was trying to download the thing. The surge on the server must have been intense for when I finally did get through to download it, I got the very nice speed of 1.64! Took just about forever!

I don't know which Mozilla build they used for this, but this version is subjectively faster than 0.9b2. Congrats for the change there. Will have to play with this to post anything worthwhile in terms of a bug report.

Ulf, et al, very nice, very nice indeed. Congrats!!!

N

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 20, 2004 02:27AM

This is built off of Mozilla 1.7.4.

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: November 20, 2004 05:31AM

Still have a problem with the ICON LOCK not switching between unsecure and secure sites.

Otherwise, this sucker flies!

Date: November 20, 2004 06:09AM

TransitMan,

Can you provide a test where that doesn't work? It seems to be working fine on my usual test site.

Posted by: ra
Date: November 20, 2004 12:25PM

Andrew,

if TransitMan is talking about the same bug that I noticed: It's a redraw problem. The icon does change but you can't notice it (well, I can notice some new yellow line in the upper left corner of the open lock, but...) until you move the window or minimize/restore it - at least on my system.

Date: November 20, 2004 03:10PM

Ra,

What are OS are you running on?

Date: November 20, 2004 04:19PM

@jsnj -
it was the 0.9.bv3 in its startupup settings. It only opens warning page (red stripe) this is a beta & the browser is for testers not end users.
Since i am the only one that has reported it yet i already assumed it is my slow system. & it was not ment as a complaint but as compliment, anyway

@ndebord i can ony agree sourceforde k-m forum is also very slow.
kind regards

Date: November 20, 2004 04:23PM

ndebord, don't worry about the slow download speed--me too! It came in at about that speed, and usually I get 160 or so. It did make me wonder, though!

Date: November 20, 2004 04:55PM

speed of sourceforge & forum is waxing and waning in incoprehensible patterns all
the time - (sspecially from Europe) why wonder now?

Date: November 20, 2004 06:04PM

Guenter,

Unless there is something wrong with SourceForge servers, being slow is a good thing. It means that interest in K-Meleon is increasing and probably to the extent that they need more servers or at least mirrors to distribute the load!

N

Date: November 20, 2004 06:05PM

Carson,

Figure the slow speed is related to the release of the 3rd beta, but unless they are having problems, it means interest in K-Meleon has grown, probably to the stage where they need more servers or mirrors.

N

Date: November 20, 2004 06:37PM

it was the 0.9.bv3 in its startupup settings. It only opens warning page (red stripe) this is a beta & the browser is for testers not end users.
Since i am the only one that has reported it yet i already assumed it is my slow system. & it was not ment as a complaint but as compliment

I didn't take it as a complaint...I was just trying to figure out if it was a new bug or not, so that it can be worked on or fixed. Don't be hesitant to report any unusual or faulty behavior. :-)...Unfortunately, I still don't quite understand the report though :-/

Posted by: ra
Date: November 20, 2004 07:18PM

Andrew,

that's Win XP SP2 with the latest drivers and stuff. Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce2 MX/MX400, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. The redraw issue has to do with Ulf's fix for the GDI leak. Thanks to his fix the leak is now finally gone, what's now missing is only a redraw of the lower right corner after changing the icon. I already noticed that with the nightly builds in the test dir.

Date: November 20, 2004 10:01PM

This beta 3 continues to be a really beautiful browser. It is working flawlessly for me, and now it is my default.

Because K-Meleon has been doing so well recently, except for a couple of problems that caused me difficulty, that makes this beta 3 the very best browser I have ever used!

I can see Opera or Firefox enthusiasts rating it second after theirs, according to preference. I know Firefox very well, but for my own use, I prefer this K-M to everything else.

Jsnj, you and the others must feel very proud of yourselves! Your enthusiasm and hard work has paid off very, very well indeed! :-)

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 21, 2004 01:28AM

Whoa! That was a slow download, even on the 20th, 2 days later! I was surprised! Obviously it was faster because of my connection type but I'm not used to seeing the download box. So it must still be a popular download. smiling smiley

I'm going to try and install this. I've had a lot of people tell me that they've been able to install several KMs on their hard drive but I've never had the luck because my second install has always looked for the plugins in my FIRST install folder---plus files---unless I renamed the first folder and THEN installed. Yet everytime after the install whenever I'd change the name BACK on the first folder then my second install would always tell me it had found new plugins, start reading the first folder's files, etc. So I'd love to know how you guys manage to have more than one install. -sigh-

Maybe I'll wait and see if any of you can give me some pointers. I dunno. Or just give it a try and see what happens (after making a copy of my profile so nothing is over-written of course!). LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.