Promising, but...
Posted by: Bleys
Date: August 30, 2000 10:22PM

This look promising. Does it support XUL? I really can't stand IE's bookmarking system and the IE interface doesn't appeal to me that much either. I would really love to slap on a more NS 4.x-like skin. Or maybe something different, just so long as it has a bookmarking system that works better than IE's.

-Josh

RE: Promising, but...
Posted by: wa1er
Date: August 31, 2000 12:05AM

I think he coded this (Christophe) to get AWAY from XUL, because it took up too much memory. If you didn't notice, this was the "Windows answer to Galeon", a browser with a Gecko engine and a Win32 interface. That means no XUL.

The bookmarks has nothing to do with the IE interface, and is something that should be gotten rid of (replaced with a Kmeleon native version), but the skinning is unnecessary and will only bloat the browser. If you want skins, use Mozilla. This is for the people who don't.

Posted by: Shadow
Date: September 02, 2000 08:12PM

No matter what you do, people are too stupid to read. You can never make anyone happy. PEOPLE NEED TO READ!

Posted by: Nanaki Son of Seto
Date: September 03, 2000 12:14AM

my question:

what's wrong with IE's bookmarks?

Date: September 03, 2000 04:05AM

IE's bookmarks aren't organized nearly as nicely as Netscape's. I think most educated people will agree that NS has a better bookmarking system.

And, considering I have no idea what the hell Galeon is, reading that still wouldn't have told me there was no XUL. You shouldn't assume that I am stupid to read (in fact I did read that... but I didn't know what Galeon was, other than that it was probably something for Linux).

But, if you aren't going to support skinning (and I don't see how that adds too much bloat, as I understand it the NS 6 is a lot smaller than previous, non-skinnable versions, and WinAmp is still pretty damn small) then at least make a GUI that is not so fugly as the one the K-Meleon currently uses.

-Josh

Date: September 03, 2000 04:09AM

Also, you should install a forum that allows me to correct my stupid writing errors.

Posted by: John Russell
Date: September 06, 2000 01:19AM

I disagree on the IE bookmark system, it's heads and tails above the Netscape one ONCE you learn how to make it work for you. I love being able to just drag my bookmarks into the order I want them and being able to go to Explorer to do any "power user" tricks I need to do.

And while I'm at it here, great job so far on this early beta version of K-Meleon, it's the best of both worlds to me, the best features of IE5 with the speed of the Gecko engine. This baby rocks better than any v0.1 browswer I have ever tried in over 5 years of internet usage. Keep it up and when it goes "gold" I think you are going to have the first truly viable contender to Nutscrape and Internet Exploder ......

Posted by: Freddie
Date: September 08, 2000 03:29PM

THe problem with IE's bookmarks is that each <1K bookmark is a separate file on disk, taking up an entire 4+K cluster, a file entry, etc. There is *absolutely* no need to do it this way. It's nothing beyond a waste of space, file entries, directory entries, and CPU time to list them. Same goes for the start menu, recent docs menu, etc.

Netscape's system isn't much better, but at least it keeps everything in one simple file.

Opera's system is a little better, and, again, keeps everything in one file.

One file vs. multiple file: which uses the PC's resources better??

F.

Posted by: Cole Petersburg
Date: September 18, 2000 03:09AM

Oh... so that's why my hard drive starts making crunchy noises for many seconds when I click Organize Bookmarks. Over a meg for bookmarks? That blows my mind. Who would do such a thing? Oh yeah, someone who wants us to buy big, fast new computers with new OS licenses.
In the past I've tried different bookmark-interoperability programs and I've tried to keep a single list of bookmarks, but it never works. When I used Netscape, the bookmarks would periodically disapear and I'd have to start over. Perhaps that was after a reinstall or something. I ended up with a mess of bookmark.htm's and other files in random places, and it really sucked.
It's much easier to avoid bookmarks and just copy the text into a text file. A new bookmarking system for each browser is a waste of time.
"I love being able to just drag my bookmarks into the order I want them..."
I find it very hard to figure out exactly where to place the cursor to make something go outside vs. inside a folder. I have to scroll a long way to do anything.

Posted by: Alf
Date: September 19, 2000 12:57PM

What About storing all the .URL files in a cab file?
With the cab extentions added to the shell it would be the same as having them in a directory?

Posted by: traal
Date: September 20, 2000 02:49AM

Well, there is one advantage with IE's bookmarks. Because each bookmark is a file, you can manage them with your file manager of choice (windows commander for me, please). If you have a neat file manager it's fast and easy, unlike the integrated bookmark editor for netscape which Really *SUCKS*(TM).

Fact is, if I have to do major bookmark management (I use netscape), I usually convert my bookmarks to explorer favorites with any freeware converter, toss them around with windows commander, and then convert them back.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.