General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
GRC Port test
Posted by: Ben
Date: December 27, 2001 07:39PM

Little bit worried about the Gibsons port test which shows none of the ports stealthed and some ports open.

At first hand I do not seem to find any kind of adjustment possibilities.

Anybody knows how to close those open ports or preferably make them
stealthed?

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GRC Port test
Posted by: scratch
Date: December 27, 2001 08:49PM

That has nothing at all to do with k-meleon. You'll need a firewall to do anything like that.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: December 27, 2001 09:05PM

It does have a *bit* to do with k-meleon, since it's openinig up those ports. Ironically, it's part of the security manager. It's a mozilla thing, however, so you're better off looking through bugzilla for more information.

Posted by: Ben
Date: December 27, 2001 09:12PM

I beleive the firewalls require also web browsers to be tuned properly, otherwise
you are open to everybody. ZoneAlarm alone does not give enough protection in IE5 browsers unless you have made certain configurations to your browser. (Network bonding. Futher info can be seen at Steve Gibsons sites).
When testing port test I get earlier mentioned results.

This same configuration does not seem to be possible in K-Meleon?

I hope I am wrong .

Ben

Posted by: scratch
Date: December 28, 2001 12:13AM

Oh, I hadn't noticed the opening of ports. I've never seen a browser feature to stealth the ports though.

Posted by: rick
Date: December 28, 2001 04:17PM

I checked with "Active Ports" - K-M is indeed opening internal ports, which are connected to 127.0.0.1, i.e. talking to other modules within your local PC. This is very different than software listening on an external Internet port, and should not represent a security exposure.

If open ports are detected, then you need to re-configure your system to eliminate them, but K-M is not the culprit.

If you want to test your security, BTW, there are much more thorough sites available than Gibson Research - try http://www.securityspace.com/sspace/index.html and run through their free exhaustive test sequences - you will probably find a lot more vulnerabilities than Gibson tests. As an example, my firewall was responding to Ping, Ident and Traceroute requests, none of which were visible using the Shields Up page...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.