General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Java plug In
Posted by: Grummy
Date: December 29, 2001 04:09AM

I down loaeded the Java RunTime files to the PlugIn folder in the K-Meleon directory. At the time of install I was guessing that it went to the Plug IN folder because that's where I needed to put the Flash plug In. When Java is needed, a large amount of files have to load and a Java icon end up in my lower task bar. It also gives a pop up stating it can't find Netscape and asks if I want to use IE version instead. I answer yes, and the install begins. It seems to work ok, but was wondering if it might work better if I had put it in it's own directory on the c drive. Would it still have worked with K ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Java plug In
Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 29, 2001 04:30AM

Grummy,

K-Meleon will find the JRE files if you let them install to their default directory. Try that and see if you get better performance that way.

Andrew

Date: December 29, 2001 05:46AM

Thank you Andrew, I re-installed the java in it's default directory and it now loads a lot faster and works smoother. I appreciate your help

Posted by: andres
Date: December 29, 2001 12:59PM

That's interesting, I installed JRE 1.3.1_02 not in its default directory but to C:\Program Files\Java. Works fine with K-Meleon, no problems at all.

Date: December 29, 2001 02:26PM

Andres, you misunderstood me. When I re-installed, I put it in C:\Program Files\Java. also. Now it works

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: December 29, 2001 03:00PM

I already had bloody java, and K-M found it all right, but every time I hit a page with bloody java I get the bloody bitchbox about netscape-vs-ie and the bloody java doesn't work very well. Can you tell I don't like java?

Date: December 29, 2001 04:08PM

Arual,

Did you copy your JRE files into K-Meleon's directories? When you do about:plugins in the URL box, what is listed for the Java files?

Andrew

Posted by: sven
Date: December 30, 2001 06:23AM

Folks,

There is no need to copy bloody java files to K-M plugins directory. It doesn't matter where you have Java installed as long as you have appropriate dll in place. For JRE 1.3.1 it should be NPOJI600.dll, for 1.4b NPOJI610.dll. You'll proabably find the file in %JREDIR%\bin\NPOJI600.dll (where JREDIR is obviously directory you have your JRE installed in).

If your about:plugins lists NPJava32.dll instead then you have plugin meant for older Netscape. I recommend using NPOJI600.dll which is built for Netscape 6 and works flawlessly with Mozilla engine. If they keep appearing in about:plugins then just rename those NPJava*.dll files in your %JREDIR%\bin so that K-M would only use instead NPOJI600.dll.

As sidenote - I'd not recommend using 1.4b plugins since they appear to be bugged in several aspects and with some older applets you get ugly visual artifacts, misplaced objects and other crap like that.

Posted by: sven
Date: December 30, 2001 06:25AM

Correction to above, in second paragraphs read "if those NPJava*.dll files keep appearing" instead of "If they keep appearing".

Date: January 02, 2002 09:45PM

Sven is correct. I was trying to determine if users had copied their JRE files into K-Meleon's plugin directories. You DO NOT need to or want to do that.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.