General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Usage of the Tab-Key
Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: December 31, 2001 12:24AM

I want to configure this browser to behave like Netscape:
When Tab is pressed, I want it to focus at the URL.

But when in a Form like here, I want to jump from one field to another.

How do I do this?

Any hints would be apreciated, also forum-links.

Nicole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Usage of the Tab-Key
Posted by: Mark
Date: December 31, 2001 04:34AM

Heh, I'm the same way. I got so used to Netscape's little interface quirks it made it hard to switch.

With this one, I'm not sure there's an easy way to get Tab to cycle through the page elements *and* the url field without some work on the program code itself. *But*, you can bind other keys to go to the url field.

The default accelators config (accessible via the "configs" section of the preferences) binds F6, CTRL ` (that's the backtick, not the apostrophe), ALT D, and CTRL D to ID_SELECT_URL. In the same config, you can see that Tab is already bound to a different accelerator, and I don't think you can bind it to two. So feel free to use some other key. I'm currently teaching myself to use one of the others...

Posted by: po
Date: December 31, 2001 10:14PM

i think the default binding of CTRL D to focus-on-URL was a goof... it should be 'Add Favorite' probably... if this is gonna be changed in a future version, then you probably don't want to get used to that one. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mark
Date: December 31, 2001 10:27PM

Yeah, I bound CTRL D to add a bookmark. I'm trying to decide what I want to use for the URL bar, though.

Decisions, decisions . . .

Posted by: Jeff
Date: January 01, 2002 12:34AM

CTRL+D actually stems from IE's ALT+D binding. And you can go ahead and get used to whatever you want, since you can change the bindings to what you want them to be, or what you're used to using. I've gotten used to CTRL+D, so I know I'll be changing it from "add bookmark" (which I use maybe once a week) to "select url", which I use constantly. smiling smiley

Mark, since there are already several other bindings to select url, we'll just change the CTRL+D binding to "add bookmark", and comment out the existing binding so users who are used to using CTRL+D can easily change it back.

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 01, 2002 03:03PM

Yes, you shold because in NS it has always been Add Bookmark - at least since I am using this. My problem: I won't get used to some things I am used to (tried it - doesn't work.).

And tab is one thing I use this often to get there - I will never change yawning smiley(

Hey, I still use Alt-Backspace for undo and Shift / CTRL-Insert / Del etc for copy and paste! It has something to do with my kind of working with the keyboard - if I was to explain you some keyboard commands, you can see I type them correctly even though I don't have a keyboard under my fingers.

It does lack some other standard keycombos which I will have a look into; so we could add them for users as 'keycombo for NS - Users' etc.

Nicole

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.