General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Email a page?
Posted by: Porter
Date: January 02, 2002 04:46PM

Is there a way to email a page from Kmel? In IE or Netscpae or Opera you can email a link or a whole page using the default email program. I cannot find an obvious way to do the same in Kmel. Am I misssing something or do I need to hack in the function? If I need to hack it in, any tips on how to do that?

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Email a page?
Posted by: Sesh
Date: January 04, 2002 08:33PM

Porter,
There is no direct way of doing this in kmeleon, but you know that kmeleon is fully customizable. Here is a small macro that I have written to send current page to a user.

in your macros.cfg add
emaillink{
menu=Email &Link
open(javascript:{var subject=document.title;var body=location.href;self.location='mailto:user@user.com?subject='+subject+'&body='+body;});
}

in your menus.cfg add under &File
macros(emaillink);

This should show you a link Email Link, and when you go to a page and select this from File menu, you will be able to email link of that page and have the page title as the subject of that email.

thanks
-sesh

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 05, 2002 07:07AM

Sesh,

I've created a page for this:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/mailmacro.php

Please review and comment. My e-mail is under the Help - About.

Andrew

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 05, 2002 04:29PM

Andrew,

what is with the format of the website?
It is much wider than my screen is - I don't think we should have to scroll.

[Do we have a history somewhere so that a non forumuser could see quickly
what has changed from the websites?]

Notes to the text itself:
You might want to add the .cfg files so a normal user can learn where they reside. Something like:
"You don't need to edit it via menues you can do it directly. We will give you the name of the apropriate config file in [brackets] so you learn the names. Please see [link to page where difference between standard and my own profiles are explained] to find out where your profile-files are".

Other suggestions:
I would like to see such macros named with an underscore so that they are easier to look at.

Also I would strongly suggest to throw out the user@user.com - either this person will get lot's of mail or the user is anoyed why he alsway has to remove this.

So new one would be:
email_link {
menu=Email &Link
open(javascript:{var subject=document.title;var body=location.href;self.location='mailtomoody smileysubject='+subject+'&body='+body;});
}

I've tested this with my Agent and mailto, worked fine.

Third suggestion (didn't test that):
IMO it would be better to have the accel. set at the menue itself so it would be easier to control which acc is set where. Can I have a comment after the command, somthing like
macros(email_link) # Set to acc L?

A hint would be nice to insert this one at all wanted popups.

Thanks for the page
Nicole

Date: January 05, 2002 04:47PM

Nicole,

Thanks for the suggestions. In some cases, I was just working with what the person who posted the text had sent. So, not everyone did a all the steps inxluding keyboard associations. However, that might be a good idea to standardize those so they are included. I'll review and incorporate your changes.

The reason for the long text is that I used <pre> tags to keep the Javascript all in one line for copy and paste purposes. Those who aren't familiar with Javascript might not know that functions can't wrap. So, the long line forces the window to be wider than normal. If anyone has a suggestion of a better way to handle that, I'm open to it.

Andrew

Date: January 05, 2002 04:58PM

For the keyboard thing: As said, I would think it is enough to be able to remember as a comment the keycombo.

But it looks more clear to me to have it there instead of in the menu.
Of course, keycombos should everywhere be the same.

So let it be set in the macro definition and have a reminder when inserting the macro anywhere (I think most of the people do copy and paste of these lines, don't they?

For the javascript thing:

Yes I have ;o)
Provide two parts.

One with a warning (This has to be one line) and give it an extra style like another color.

Below that give it as a link and describe how to copy this url or how to check it first.

This of course means to tell them how to copy and paste for example by right-click or just ctrl-x

hth
Nicole

Posted by: Sesh
Date: January 06, 2002 12:05PM

Hi Nicole,
Thanks for the suggestion, I changed the macros accordingly.
Hi Andrew,
I saw your page regarding email link, great work. My only comment is regarding where the email link should go, I would suggest something similar to what IE does, Under File menu, with email having its own sub menu. I updated my macros accordingly and I had send you all those macros to your email. Please let me know if I had to make any changes. May be we should have a section in this website dedicated only for macros so that users can come up with new ideas of writting macros (macro to open current frame in a new window, macro to list images in current page, list links, etc etc).

thanks
-sesh

Posted by: sven
Date: January 06, 2002 12:59PM

Sesh, these are actually some good ideas... Obtaning link or image list should be fairly easy DOM procedure. I'll see if I can come up with working code for those.

Date: January 06, 2002 06:00PM

Sesh and Sven,

Sounds good. E-mail me anything that you want added. If we get enough stuff together, we could get a separate section going for that. Plus, I know that several people are working on re-writes for the macro and other plugins so I see a lot of ideas coming up for this area.

Andrew

Date: January 06, 2002 06:59PM

Just put the seperate section up and you will get some ;o)

Date: January 06, 2002 08:20PM

I already have rudimentary working code for dynamically creating "quicklist" of links or images on any given page. I have several other ideas which could eventually evolve into something more (for example creating dynamic TOC for any document) or less useful snippets. However, with current macro model its somewhat complicated if not alltogether impossible. I'll post my suggestions and ideas into "Development" forum later on or tomorrow (its like 10:20PM over here).

Date: January 06, 2002 10:13PM

[what is ee btw?]

I do have some quickies like 'open all forum windows'
a mailto for my agent and news: should be up working too.

I would like to see an example for toggeling
- java
- javascript
- proxies on of.

Andrew, if you could give us more help on how to provide things for you?

As I know, most people are very willing to contribute if they see their name somewhere, so this is how you might get some of us ;o)

Posted by: po
Date: January 07, 2002 02:12AM

toggling java, javascript, etc. came up a little while back in (i think) the dev forum... it seems that using a macro to toggle some preferences doesn't work quite the way one might hope; at least, that was the last i heard/experienced... but by all means, try it for yourself - the more people playing with this stuff, the better the chances of figuring out WHY something doesn't seem to work...

Date: January 07, 2002 06:17AM

To Nicole: .ee is Estonia

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.