Opening m3u audio format?
Posted by: Max
Date: January 22, 2005 07:11PM

When I click a link to play an audio stream in .m3u format, K-Meleon opens the "Save As" box, instead of starting my audio player (JetAudio, which is configured to play m3u, and works with Firefox). I should note that K-Meleon and JetAudio work fine with mp3, pls, and other formats.

Is there a config or macro setting I need to change to get K-Meleon to recognize this audio format?

Re: Opening m3u audio format?
Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 22, 2005 07:21PM

Not really. What you could do is get your mimeTypes.rdf from your firefox profile and copy & paste it into KM's. m3u's & wmv's I believe are both in the mimeTypes file for KM but for some reason they don't always automatically open.

Posted by: Max
Date: January 22, 2005 08:44PM

Copying the mimeTypes.rdf file did the trick. Thanks!

Posted by: John
Date: March 13, 2005 06:48AM

I have the same problem (m3u files won't opne in my default player,) but unfortunately I don't have a mimeTypes.rdf file from Firefox since I uninstalled FF and deleted my FF profile directory. Does anyone know of a way I could get a copy of that file? Thanks.

Posted by: j skillz
Date: May 08, 2006 04:30AM

duz anyone how to convert m3u to wav or mp3....or any other format supported by windows media player? i can't seem to find a converter...

Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 08, 2006 05:08AM

m3u is just a text file with track data and file paths. I don't use WMP but can't it already open a m3u playlist?

Posted by: Drahken
Date: May 08, 2006 11:13AM

Just download the m3u file, open it in notepad, and paste the adress/es you find there into wmp.

Posted by: j skillz
Date: May 08, 2006 04:00PM

i know but i'm trying to convert it into an audio format that adobe audition can open.....

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 08, 2006 04:29PM

You can't. M3U files are just playlist files, which do not contain the audio data. You'll have to open the real MP3/whatever files instead of the M3U file.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: May 08, 2006 05:47PM

*points up* Like he said, M3U files are merely text files which point to the actual files, they are not audio files themselves. If adobe audition can only handle actual audio files, then you'll need to do what I said earlier and plug that address into adobe (instead of wmp). Here's the same playlist in 3 different formats, open each with notepad and compare them: http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/playlists.zip

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.