General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Kmeleon vs. Mozilla - What is the difference?
Posted by: Porter
Date: January 04, 2002 09:55PM

If you do a custom install of Mozilla without the email/news client, how is that different from a standard install of Kmeleon? I am just trying to see whatis different and unique about Kmeleon vs. my current favorite browser Mozilla - if anyone wants to list the important differences for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks - Porter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kmeleon vs. Mozilla - What is the difference?
Posted by: Norman Prather
Date: January 05, 2002 06:51AM

Hmm, I've never tried that. I suspect K-Meleon is still smaller. And I'll bet it still won't interfere with WordPerfect printing.
NTP

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 05, 2002 07:06AM

Porter,

Here's one big one:

You can totally customize the toolbar, adding and removing buttons as you need them.

Andrew

Posted by: sven
Date: January 05, 2002 07:07AM

Since they both use same gecko engine there is no difference in page rendering. The difference comes in in usability and customization. While we all know that you can edit pretty much anything in Mozilla -- skin, menus, options and whatnot -- it is kind of hard to figure out what, where and when.

It's easier with K-M, and, for many users the most important difference - speed. K-M doesn't have to parse loads of XUL and resource files files to draw UI (user interface). Mozilla does because it needs to be platform independent, therefore it needs to rely on its own resources for putting it all together in realtime. Thats one thing that makes it always slower than UI which uses OS native widgets and elements.

You can change menus, popups & other stuff in Mozilla too but compare it to K-M and you'll see the difference. Just in other thread folks just added "google search for selected text" capabilty to context menu. You can do it literally in 3 minutes without any previous knowledge. Try it with Mozilla and see how long it takes smiling smiley

So most likely you want to keep using Mozilla when you're happy with its speed and options it gives you. You might want to try K-M when you want to do little tweaking here-and-there, add your own menus, design new buttons for yourself or just are too imatient to use Mozilla on slower computer.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 05, 2002 07:15AM

Sven,

Good point about resources. A lot of our users are people with older computers running Windows95 without a lot of memory. I've personally run it on a Pentium 90 with 40 MB of RAM. It wasn't a speed demon but I couldn't run IE6 and Mozilla probably would have choked the machine. With K-Meleon, I get a standards-complaint browser that is relatively fast even on that slow of a machine.

Andrew

Posted by: scratch
Date: January 05, 2002 09:32AM

Mozilla just got some huge perf increases actually. I'm running the latest nightly right now and it seriously feels faster than K-Meleon. I can't wait to see how fast a release of K based on one of these builds would be.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 08, 2002 06:05PM

In addition to the other remarks I verified and KM has a smaller memory footprint then Moz 0.9.6.
With Moz 0.9.7 it seems to me, that when using tabbed windows, Mozilla's memory footprint is somewhat lower then KM's.
When using separate windows, KM seems to be in favour, but the difference isn't that big anymore.

On my older P1 133Mhz machine KM was in favour of speed rendering. On my new 1.8 Ghz machine the differnce isn't felt anymore. The both render at lightning speed.

Bernard

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.