General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Average Age of K-M Users
Posted by: Carson
Date: January 28, 2005 12:18AM

Do you remember that post I put up in late November, called "Where in the World We Live?" Having a few worries on my mind this afternoon, I found myself idly doing some displacement activity, which was to look back on that thread.

My sample isn't big enough, and I should have calculated the mean, not the average (but I think it would be about the same) -- but, anyway, the average age shows as being 44.

And that is interesting, because I think that makes us an elderly bunch, relative to some browsers' users. What also seems apparent is that we're all one sex, pretty well. I guess that is the result of using the Kave-Man browser??

Most folk here seem to live in the USA.

Of course, the most intriguing questions are the ones we have no answer for:

How many people use K-Meleon? Not just one time or two, but as their most-used browser. I won't say "default" because quite a few people leave IE6 as default, even though they use a different browser almost all the time.

So, is K-Meleon just our familiar names here? I really doubt it, but would there really be a lot of people who never ask a question or make a comment?

I wonder if we are fewer than a hundred, or whether we're "hundreds" or whether we're "thousands".

Displacement behavior is when you do something to distract yourself from whatever it is you're processing...like running your hand through you're hair if you're embarrassed, cleaning house if you're upset, or, if you're a dog, running back and forth along the water's edge a few times before taking the plunge to fetch the stick. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Average Age of K-M Users
Posted by: Douglas
Date: January 28, 2005 12:45AM

Amusing but interesting, Carson!

There are 4 of us here at home in Scotland using K-Meleon, with ages ranging from 12 to 48. Only one of our 7 PCs has MS Internet Explorer installed - if necessary we sometimes use GreenBrowser instead.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: January 28, 2005 01:25AM

Yet another fascinating topic from The Man!

Carson? Where do you come up with these great topics? Have you written them all up aforehand and then placed them in a large jar, then every now and then reach in and pull one out for a topic of discussion? smiling smiley

Well, in this household there's only my wife and me. My kids "supposedly" all have their own separate domiciles---but sometimes we wonder about this... winking smiley

At any rate, I'm the only one who uses this machine. My wife has no interest whatsoever in computers, or the internet, unless she'd like to have a new pattern for knitting or crochetting. In that case she comes up here and has ME search for it and sits beside me and copies down the information. Same for a recipe. Oh... she copies down the recipes and patterns because I'm working from a server unit more than a regular computer and therefore there's no printer, nor any other claptrap on this thing.

But to get down to brass tacks here: I getting up to almost as many KMs as Carson installed on this thing---but nowhere near as many as Guenter. winking smiley None of us will ever have as many installed as our dear friend Guenter. I'm not even sure if HE knows how many he has installed. hehe!

I have the French 0.9 as my default (of course!), I have the English 0.9 for playing around in, I still have the 0.9b3---I haven't a clue why as I don't ever use it---and I have my Wechselbalg because it has my name in it. I never said I wasn't vain. winking smiley

Of course I have Firefox. I seldom use it. I do have Mozilla 1.7.3. That's as high as the French version goes. Netscape 7.1 for the name when I get nostalgic (I switched from Mosaic to Netscape 2). And then Beonex.

I use KM about 70%. After that it's the Suite the most.

Now as to age? Depends. I'm 91 in Abenaki reckoning (we figured on a person's viewing of the geese's migration) or 46 by the Whiteman's. Either way I look the former. sad smiley

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Posted by: Ed L.
Date: January 28, 2005 01:59AM

Im 15. Using KM is a bit of a hobby for me, I guess, but not much else.

I was mainly computer illiterate (in the way that of course I could find my way around the Windows GUI but I didn't know how my system worked or how to personalize things) before our computer was riddled with spyware from IE and Kazaa. It got to the point where IE couldn't view pages anymore because it kept trying to connect to our own network (it would say something like 'loading from 127.0.0.1") and some Active X scripts were taking over our Cd drives ( a pop up window would appear and our drives would eject, highly annoying). After some Google searches and a system restore I found Mozilla Firebird 0.7. It was awesome then but I think the 0.8 Firefox release was more bloated. My father, who's about as computer knowledgeable as me, loved it and still uses Firefox; my sister got intuned to it a month ago. I haven't recommended K-meleon as much as Firefox because both open a lotta tabs while browsing ( 30< ) and my experience is that K-meleon drags a lot more with all that open. That and Firefox comes almost all preconfigured and all.

Carson, I think someone (maybe it was Fast Sjonny) said a couple of ten thousand ppl use K-meleon. I wouldn't vouch for more than that. We might make about 0.5 % of the 'web browser share'.

So I guess you could say that Im a windows power user - I have no spyware and know exactly what to do to keep my system clean and fast, I know how to find all the programs I need. I have tried Linux but Im always dissapointed by each distro because each solves a specific problem but is never a good cohesive whole. About the web browsers - Firefox is even slower on Linux for me than on Windows and thats very disappointing. Konqueror is incredibally fast b/c I use KDE, it loads a lot like IE (of course b/c it's also the file manager) but with tabs, password saving, and a whole lot else. However its KHTML engine doesnt seem as perky as Gecko's - fonts come out wrong and some pages won't wrap. So for now Ill stay with Windows, at least until Longhorn comes out and Ill either have to bittorrent it or learn Linux. There's no other option. smiling smiley

Posted by: Midas
Date: January 28, 2005 02:28AM

I'm 39 here. I have convinced my wife and one of my co-workers to start using KM, but as much as they like it, they use it because I installed it for them -- they couldn't find their way out of a (computer) paper bag, so to speak... :-D

Posted by: Ike
Date: January 28, 2005 02:36AM

Hi Carson,
I'm 49 years old. I use K-Ninja almost exclusively. IE just for
updating purposes. I'm computer literate although I don't have the
gumption to do coding beyond html.
K-Ninja is the best browser for me.
My girlfriend uses whatever I put on her computer.
thanks for this enjoyable forum.

btw I'm in San Francisco.

Posted by: jtiger
Date: January 28, 2005 03:12AM

41 from South Carolina in the USA. Wife and one daughter. Wife uses KM when in Windows, as do I. Daughter uses wife's computer to do chat and schoolwork. Both wife and I dual boot with Mandrake 10.1 and Win98se. We both need to upgrade our hardware. In Mandrake, wife uses KDE and Firefox and I use Fluxbox and Dillo (can you tell I like speed?). Both wife and I use Linux for serious stuff (work) and Windows for play (which means trying out new freeware primarily, though I have a couple of sim games that I love that won't run on Linux). Don't get me started on Wine. Dreaming of the day that KM is ported to Linux.

I generally use KM while sipping a Yeungling. Prefer the Black and Tan, though the lager is pretty good too. Nothing beats a good chimichanga and Yeungling black and tan. I'm fairly confident I could live off of that...with an occasional peach cobbler (though not in combination with the Yeungling). When I'm feeling festive, I like a nice chianti....though not with human liver and fava beans. On rare occasions, I will indulge in a fuzzy navel. My wife makes excellent whiskey sours.

While in either Windows or Linux, I generally have XMPlay or XMMS tuned to NPR, a nice Jazz station, or my David Wilcox collection. When away from the computer, I play a Mahogany Martin D-18, generally tuned to open C, though sometimes in DadGad. Occasionally I will pick up my Taylor 412ce which is tuned to standard tuning and play some James Taylor, Doobie Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, or Eagles, depending on the mood. I currently am awaiting the delivery of a custom made Everett Elan, which is why my wife and I use crappy computers and haven't upgraded in years.

Now...what was the question?

Date: January 28, 2005 03:20AM

Actually Ed I heard somewhere that it's around 33,000 who use KM, if not a little more. The downloads of Wechselbalg at one given time were 10,000. Of course they're much more by now. (I just couldn't find space to park anymore than 10,000. LOL! j/k of course!)

Personally, I think you'll find that more than 33,000 are using the browser. It's just we brave few who will come here and admit it. winking smiley Seriously though, I think jsnj and Andrew would better know the stats on how many probably use the Official version. And Guenter would possibly know the current download stats on the Wechselbalg Version. Guenter?

And Ed? As to version 0.9 slowing down with opening a lot of layers (or "Tabs"): Have you given it a try with a great deal of them opened? I myself haven't. I rarely have more than 2 or 3 opened. The most may be 4 or 5 if I'm at Space.com. I think any slow down you notice would depend upon what is running in them myself. Flash ads and things like this---even in Firefox/Mozilla---can really slow down the browser when you have a bunch of tabs opened. This is why in KM I have a userContent.css adkiller (Same for Firefox) and that "ad extension" (can't remember the name) in my Mozilla.

Welcome to the forum Ed! I hope you stick around! We don't often have young adults around here and it seems NICE! smiling smiley

@Midas: I LOVED how you said: "...they couldn't find their way out of a (computer) paper bag, so to speak... :-D" That's a good one! Pretty much describes my wife back when we used to have a couple of computers networked together before we got the server unit and she used one to write email... when done she'd say, "Now how do I send this?"

Amicalement mes amis!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 28, 2005 03:55AM

Eyes-Only,

Of course, SourceForge put their stats on hold TWO DAYS before we launched 0.9. They are supposed to be putting a new stat system online soon and those numbers will be posted there at some point and we'll have a better idea of how many downloads we've seen since the release. Over it's lifetime, SF has recorded almost 900,000 downloads but I think Carson accounted for about half of those.
winking smiley
Of course, that covers downloads from Day 1 and doesn't include downloads from sites not associated with SourceForge.

Posted by: qst330
Date: January 28, 2005 04:18AM

Eyes Only Said:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife has no interest whatsoever in computers, or the internet, unless she'd like to have a new pattern for knitting or crochetting. In that case she comes up here and has ME search for it and sits beside me and copies down the information. Same for a recipe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha...Ha...When I read this I almost fell out of my chair. It sounded so familar. I believe this may be true of a lot of us. My wife politely smiles when I tell her about things I do with the computer but she is only feigning interest. I became hooked years ago and now I guess I would be considered a Geek although I hardly fit the stereotype. I love K-Meleon. Before I discovered K-Meleon I was using Firefox most of the time. I still do ocassionally. It has come a long way but K-Meleon will always be my favourite. I like the people who use it and think it is designed the way most programs should be.Fucntional and adaptive. In other words K-Melon rocks. I use to have an old Volkswagon Beetle that a friend and I used to tinker with. We always had fun playing with it. I have fun with K-Meleon in pretty much the same way. I am learning how to tinker and have a long way to go but I am a quick learn and the people here are so helpful.

I am 47, live in America was born in England, spent a good part of my childhood in Germany, am married, no kids and own the worlds greatest Dog [A Patterdale Terrier-cousin to a Jack Russel] named Willie. He came over from Scotland where he was raised to help English farmers hunt down those pesky varmints. Life is good. K-Melon user 90 percent of the time. Good topic Carson.

Cheers Everyone.....

Date: January 28, 2005 05:31AM

Andrew, my 297,616 SF downloads do NOT constitute half of 900,000, I'll have you know! Besides, I was having a little problem and could load only one bookmark per browser, so I was totally justified! ;-) (j/k)

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2005 08:50AM

h-m - look where they come from - average statistics tell You about ages....
without even answereing - a person from say?: .my will be probably Younger -
especially when sort of less friendly and so on -
You can use a lot of what You probably learned at uni.
i am born in 52 and have senior moments already... ROFL.
kind regards

Posted by: harveyvan
Date: January 28, 2005 08:56AM

You and me both guenter -- I mean the "born in 1952" (must have been a good year) AND the senior moments (OK; maybe not *that* good...)

As for location -- I live in England; I emigrated from Canada in 1982.

Posted by: Midas
Date: January 28, 2005 03:13PM

@Eyes-Only: Thanks, I guess that covers for my blunders in other threads. 6-)

@all: This is really a feel good thread. It had me LOL several times...

Now we could say: K-Meleon, because the Internet is more than just software...

Cheers people.

Date: January 28, 2005 04:12PM

Or K-Meleon, for Browsing Over the Hill....

Guenter, very interesting detective work--I hadn't thought of that.

And Guenter and Harveyvan, it's so nice to have you youngsters of the '50s with us here. ;-)

--Harveyvan, for some reason I picked up on the Canada; don't know when or why. I thought the "van" might have something to do with this city I'm in. Gee, 1982 was just the day before yesterday, but my calendars are wrong--they say it was 23 years ago!

Posted by: harveyvan
Date: January 28, 2005 04:49PM

Nope: no "van-city" link, it's just the first part of my surname (Van Sickle).

FWIW, my Canadian links are "Winnipeg (born there); Ottawa (ages 4 to 22); undergard university in Ottawa; grad school in Toronto; lived in Edmonton for 6 years. At which point I moved to England. [Oh, yes: I don't miss snow -- not even the teensiest little bit. winking smiley]

(I've used various nicknames in forums; sometimes my initials (whhvs), but in "proper" Usenet groups I tend to go with my real name. I don't know why I decided to use harveyvan in here -- it probably struck me that people were using lower-case nicknames and it was appropriate. I used "Harvey V" when I first posted to Usenet, but got a violent reaction once from some inferiority-complexed clown who thought I was laying a monarchical trip on him....there are some very strange people about.....)

Cheers, Harvey

Re: Average use of k-m
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 28, 2005 04:57PM

i estimate the user number to 80.000+ or so.
i assume this - because when You look at an update after a new release.
I believe it stands for good reason that
the number of updates as minimum plus x is the number of useres.

Posted by: sadatoni
Date: January 28, 2005 06:09PM

I just found KM a couple of days ago.

I'll be 49 next week, been using browsers since pre-Netscape 1.0 (I've got like 0.9
around here somewhere on a floppy). Been using Phoenix/Firebird/FF for about 1-1/2
years and NS before that. Never have liked IE. When I HAVE to use IE, I'll usually
use a 3rd party interface (e.g., Maxthon) that has layered browsing.

I guess one could say I'm computer literate (been a systems programmer for 23
years, and in the IT industry for 30 years).

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 28, 2005 07:27PM

I am 63 years old and have been using K-Meleon about a year now I think. It has been long enough that at my age I just don't remember anymore. I live in North Carolina , USA. I started looking for a new browser when I could not get IE 5.5 anymore. I tried the IE 6 and after spending a week trying to get un-wanted junk out of it and finding that it could not save a picture to a jpg extention, I found K-Meleon.

Before I retired I wrote programs for mainframe computers in SAS. I think I have some moderate knowledge of personal computers. I am using Windows 2000 Pro operating system on a 1830 mhz AMD chip with 512 meg of ram. I have made K-Meleon my default browser. If I thought it was possible to dump IE and still have the system run, then I would.

I am old enough that change is not my thing. I still am running version 0.8.2. I have downloaded the new version .9 but I am looking into loading it to a compact flash card without losing my 8.2. I am getting ready to look over the forum now to see if there are any directions on how to do that.

Date: January 28, 2005 08:47PM

Welcome, James! You've circled the sun five more times than I have!

I don't have the direct answer, but no doubt by now you've found the thread which was just posted on that recently. That would be Greytech's "Making K-melon Portable" on this page.

You likely know this already, but when you said, "I am looking into loading it to a compact flash card without losing my 8.2," you did make me wonder if you realize you can have as many K-Ms as you wish on your desktop, all operable, though only one can be operable at once.

1. Each one in its own sibling folder
2. Don't use the Loader
3. Be very sure you have no other browser running when you call one up--especially the first time you call your new one up!

Good luck! Remember that your questions are welcome here. :-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 28, 2005 08:56PM

Carson,

Well, as you already know, we're the same age. After an interesting episode with IE 5.5 some time ago, I actively started looking for a replacement. Worked my way through Netscape and Mozilla and then found KM. Did everything I wanted from the get go, so couldn't be happier. I have FF sitting around as my second browser, but it probably feels like an unwanted houseguest. Seldom invited out to party!

With a now legacy notebook, Compaq Armada M300 with a PIII-600 and only 320 megs of ram, I always see the difference in speed between KM and anything else. And it works the way I want it to and if it doesn't I post a question here and somebody has always found a macro solution to do what I want. I get irritated when I hear some people complain that the scripting language is too hard. I mean, how hard can it be to do Ctrl C, Ctrl V, Save and reboot the browser? <g>

N

Posted by: Maria
Date: January 29, 2005 08:32PM

born: 1950
k-m = default browser for 2 years.

mfg

Maria

Date: January 29, 2005 09:55PM

Well, I realize names don't necessarily indicate sexes--my own name can be used by m of f--but in the last couple of days, I've seen a couple of women's names here on the forum, and I must say they are VERY good to see, and very very welcome in this seemingly much-too-male environment.

The sample is way too small, but both women obviously know a lot about what they're doing, whereas the guys are all over the place, from brand new to expert. Will we see posts by women who are new and not sure of what they're doing? I really hope so. This is such an excellent, friendly forum!

(So, if anyone reading this fits that category, don't hesitate to ask anything you want. The guys here are some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere!)

I wonder how many people have had default K-M for 2 years. Not many. :-)

Date: January 29, 2005 10:56PM

Guten tag Maria! Vahs ist nieuw? smiling smiley

Mazzel,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Carl
Date: January 30, 2005 02:01AM

I'm from Canada and born in 1950 been using a box since 71 (Mainframe back then of course) I Have been trading off between FF and K-M over the past couple of years and both are my default browsers! I give them pretty even time depending on what I m doing! I am really impressed with the speed of K-M especially the latest ver. Great to hear from such a friendly bunchof folks on this forum!! Also great to know that there are lots of seasoned folks on here age wise!! LOLOL!!!!!! :-D

Posted by: Greytech
Date: January 30, 2005 07:20AM

Goodness, i'm half as old as most of you greybeards.
21, Singaporean engineering student and computer nut, at your service :p

Posted by: Kurt
Date: January 30, 2005 11:39AM

I'm from Switzerland and born in 1957. K-M is my default browser since about 2000 on both of my computers at home and business. FF is installed, as well but more for curiosity. I fire up IE only if I really have to.
Unfortunately on my job's computer I'm not allowed to use K-M anymore since late last year. For security and policy reasen - IE only - what a joke!!
Therefor, I really appreciate K-M at home even more.

Kurt

Posted by: Me
Date: January 30, 2005 06:35PM

Date: January 30, 2005 08:44PM

<bump>

Posted by: Brian
Date: January 30, 2005 09:59PM

i'm 17, and i've just stumbled across this browser. I was thinking about creating my own IE-based browser using visual basic for my personal use only, but i got sidetracked and i don't really know any visual basic or C++. So, I began a search for an IE-based browser on sourceforge(where i get most of my software).. and i found k-meleon. It's awesome. I doubt I'm gonna stop using this browser... it's super fast and it doesn't cause any freezing on my slow computer(Intel Celeron, 498 MHZ, 256 MB of RAM). So, i'm overjoyed. :-).

Brian

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.