General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Favorites bar
Posted by: John
Date: January 06, 2002 01:18PM

How can I get text on the favorites bar? Also, is there any way to make my backspace key take me to the previous page? Love the no pop-ups feature. Thanks, John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorites bar
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 06, 2002 05:56PM

John,

You can make the backspace key function so as to take you to the previous page BUT...

K-Meleon can't differentiate from a backspace in a text field and in general so if you ever use backspace while typing text, you'll go back a page. If you still want to try it, let us know and we can post the code for that.

Andrew

Date: January 06, 2002 09:13PM

Hello Andrew,
I'll just use the back arrow for a previous page. I am still curious about text in the favorites bar. When I add the favorites tool bar, I get a lot of folder icons that all look the same. Too confusing.
Thanks, John

Date: January 07, 2002 03:01PM

John,

If you don't get an answer to your Favorites question here, you might post to the developers list. I'm not that familiar with the Favorites as I don't use that feature.

Andrew

Posted by: po
Date: January 08, 2002 02:36AM

when i enable my favorite toolbar, i get buttons with the icon i have set for IE shortcuts, followed by the name of each shortcut in the 'links' directory...

...for whatever that's worth. i don't normally use it, either. smiling smiley

Date: January 08, 2002 03:28AM

After the unnamed folders, I have several big e icons. I have trouble keeping icons in IE. They will set for a while and then turn into big e icons. This happens when I run scan disk or defrag sometimes, or change some settings. I like this browser for some of it's functions, like password manager. Can't get IE to do that. I don't see any speed change between this and IE. I am running on ADSL modem, so maybe that's why I don't see a difference. Do you think this browser will ever support Yahoo companion? Also, I can't make history button work.
Thanks, John

Posted by: scratch
Date: January 08, 2002 06:04PM

The favorites bar problem is a known bug on Win NT/2K/XP

Date: January 08, 2002 10:55PM

Hey scratch,
Now it's a known problem on W-95 too. : ) Anyone know why the history button won't work on K- Meleon?
Thanks, John

Date: January 08, 2002 11:41PM

John,

What history button? On the toolbar buttons themselves?

Andrew

Date: January 10, 2002 12:16AM

Hi Andrew,
Yes, the history button on the tool bar does nothing when I click it. This is a pretty good browser, but I don't see a speed increase over IE. The pages seem to load a little different, but if anything, a little slower. Someone said this is faster than mozilla. Isn't that what IE uses? Of coarse, I have tweaked IE for adsl and don't know where to go to tweak this browser. Keep in mind, I'm just a wannabe geek. : )
Thanks, John

Date: January 10, 2002 12:53AM

IE doesn't use the mozilla engine... at one time, it was based on Mosaic, but i have no idea if that's still much the case or not... the netscape browsers are based on mozilla. i agree, i find that k-meleon is about on par with IE most of the time, speed-wise, but it probably depends a lot on what you're doing, exactly... as for a history button on the toolbar - i thought there wasn't one by default? you mean with the sundial icon, or something else? if you right-click or click-and-hold the back button, you'll get the recent history, which is all that comes with k-meleon at the moment. better history functionality is in the works, though.

Date: January 10, 2002 03:59AM

John,

What version of K-Meleon are you using?

Andrew

Date: January 11, 2002 02:56AM

Hello,
My mistake on the history button. I don't know what I was thinking. I need to slow down, take a deep breath, and not surf the net so fast. smiling smiley
Why does this browser use so much memory? I only have 48 megs. Pitiful, ain't it?
Thanks, John

Posted by: sven
Date: January 11, 2002 05:25AM

John, considering alternatives this is best bang for buck you can get for your computer. Mozillas rendering engine is superior to any other out there, including IE, Opera and such. It's bugged in places, but its evolving more rapidly than others. In relatively small package you do get best rendering you can have at this time.

Date: January 11, 2002 06:15AM

...and, as has been pointed out many times, IE is somewhat deceptive in it's apparent use of resources, since a certain amount of it's footprint falls into the 'system' category...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.