General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
No "go" button by URL bar
Posted by: Timoch
Date: January 10, 2002 04:45AM

I'm new to kmeleon and have a lot to learn. I go to other sites from the favorites list, but when I type in an URL, I can find no way to make "go". How can do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No "go" button by URL bar
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 10, 2002 05:03AM

Timoch,

Can you use the "enter" key after entering the address?

Andrew

Posted by: sven
Date: January 10, 2002 06:04AM

Ergonomically - when I copy URL from somewhere I do it usually with mouse, either by selecting the URL or right clicking and copying it and then I also paste it with mouse into address bar. Pasting it with keyboard would require me to slightly break flow of motion, unless I do it with left hand. Now, when I already use mouse for the operation, I might as well do one more click which is more convenient than rising my hand off the mouse, hit enter and put it on mouse again.

Presently I'm somewhat undecided about "go" button issue but there are ergonomic reasons for IE, Mozilla and Opera including it in standard configuration.

Posted by: po
Date: January 10, 2002 07:35AM

well, i'm glad somebody else thinks so... smiling smiley

folks seem to think of it as 'an AOL thing', but there really are times when it's nice to have it there, as you described. ID_NAV_GO would be just the thing.

Posted by: andres
Date: January 10, 2002 08:07AM

I can't agree more.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 10, 2002 12:19PM

Po,

Did a bug get filed for that or a Go button?

Andrew

Posted by: Jeff
Date: January 10, 2002 02:37PM

Not to make this sound too much like a plug for my own software (it's free, btw, so you can't flame me too much), but using something like <a href="http://www.tcbnetworks.com/strokeit">StrokeIt</a>; could serve as a potential workaround for this.

StrokeIt is a global mouse gesture recognition engine, so you'd simple configure it to recognize something simple like "Down" as really being "Paste Clipboard, and then press the Enter key", and you'd be able to "ergonomically" do what you're trying to do.

No, this is not really a good "alternative", it's simply a workaround. We really should have an (optional) go button. In the next release, the url bar will probably be a plugin (rather than in the main kmeleon.exe, as it is now) so if I don't get around to doing it, someone else can easily manage to toss in a go button pretty easily (and other exciting features, perhaps autocomplete, and command expansion)

StrokeIt
Posted by: FredP
Date: January 10, 2002 05:37PM

Very impressive ! Thanks for mentioning it !

One thing I was very used to in Netcape 4, and miss in IE, Mozilla or Kemeleon, is the "context-menu-on-right-button-down" (already discussed here). It was almost a "mouse gesture" : right click, down a bit, and release (except in frames where stupidly "back" was not the topmost item in the menu :-).

With StrokeIt the exact same "reflex" can be used for all browsers, this is great ! And of course many other things are made possible, with imagination and some mental adaptation :-)

Good work !
fred

Re: StrokeIt
Posted by: Dennis
Date: January 11, 2002 04:23PM

That was on my computer then off with an IE upgrade to 5 or 6.
It is called Intenet Explorer 4.0 Power Tools.
on a right click you can-
Open frame in new window,
Zoom in and out on images,
Link list shows every link on a page,
and there are a few more.
Maybe make a K- Meleon power tools or right click options.

Posted by: Brian
Date: January 11, 2002 05:47PM

the main reason we don't have a go button right now is purely technical reasons, and laziness. to add a go button, we'd have to make the url bar a dialog bar with a list box and a go button on it. I never really cared that much to put the time in.

FredP; I agree 100% with the context menu on mouse down bit, but that's a mozilla thing that we have absolutely no control over. I was working on a patch for mozilla that implemented this, but it's not quite done. Even when it is done, I doubt they'll check it in to the main tree.

Posted by: FredP
Date: January 12, 2002 09:46PM

Brian : yes, I remember that discussion well. Guess some coders don't like OnMouseDown, like others don't like tabs :-)))

Anyway, for the time being Jeff's cute little program is a good workaround. I must say there are many more things in KM 0.6 that I'd like to be fixed sooner than the context menu issue. Hope we get a New Year present soon smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.