General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Resources get eaten up
Posted by: polo
Date: January 11, 2002 06:58PM

Sometimes which few windows open my Resource Meter reports the resources are under 10 % and I get a warning from Windows. This is just with K-M running, Explorer, Systray, DUN and a notepad window. It might be the website, JavaScript being turned on or my PC which is ancient by today's standards: Windows 95 , Pentium I (one) 133, 80 MB RAM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resources get eaten up
Posted by: andres
Date: January 11, 2002 08:11PM

I made a snapshot of K-Meleon's memory usage with MemLoad by AdamAnt (http:go.to/adamant/ ).

Launching the first window of K-Meleon (without the Loader) to open a small 2 KB homepage increases, in my computer (Win98SE), the general memory load by 14.7 MB of which 9.2 MB are directly K-M modules. I did that test with most other applications closed.

Posted by: rick
Date: January 11, 2002 11:36PM

Your point is ?

Seriously, you can reduce memory requirements by not loading various plugins in the K-M preferences. It will load a bit faster too.

Try turning off everything except the Macro plugin by disabling their loading in K-M's prefs.js file (in your profile directory). Here are my settings.

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.toolbarEnabled", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.toolbarFolder", "");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_rebar", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.hide_statusbar", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.fullscreen.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.history.load", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.load", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.rebarmenu.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.toolbars.load", false);

I use gul for bookmarks, so that is shut off entirely.

Posted by: andres
Date: January 12, 2002 09:28AM

If you asked about my point, those numbers were just for reference. I am using a minimum set of plugins (only macros and toolbar control) and have no problems whatsoever (with 192MB of RAM it goes quite unnoticed).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.