General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hint how to use realmedia direct from KM
Posted by: andres
Date: January 12, 2002 02:21PM

I think I found out how to enable RealPlayer plugin to take orders direct from K-Meleon. You have to copy the Mozilla preference line:

user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio%2Fx-pn-realaudio%2C%20audio%2Fx-wav");

to your K-Meleon prefs.js

(note that the line must not be broken!)

Then K-M opens RealPlayer after clicking the media link. Worked for me. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hint how to use realmedia direct from KM
Date: January 12, 2002 05:51PM

To be more specific, the previous posted line contained information for both realmedia and wav. As wavs were not in question, here's a prettier line to be added to prefs.js (for realaudio only):

user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio");

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 12, 2002 08:11PM

Where exactly would I find K-Meleon prefs.js ? ,I would like to try it.

Date: January 12, 2002 08:26PM

Prefs.js is somewhere in your K-Meleon\Profiles folder. With more or less standard installation that would be

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt

if you are using a default profile (the last folder name is different in each computer). You should open that file with a txt editor (like Windows Notepad or PFE etc.).

If you cannot find that file manually, you can always search "prefs.js" from K-Meleon\Profiles with your Windows Explorer, or you can open prefs.js from inside K-Meleon (Edit - Preferences - Configs - Prefs) and type or paste the text in from there.

Of course you also must have RealPlayer installed.

Date: January 13, 2002 04:32AM

Thanks,I will give it a try.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 13, 2002 10:36AM

Andres,

Thank you.
You have solved another problem with KM.
Works well.

Bernard

Posted by: Timoch
Date: January 14, 2002 03:57AM

I know I'm a little slow, but I'm having trouble. I pasted the above real script into my .js file using note pad, then started up km and went to a radio station site. When I clicked on a file, the only thing that happened was it downloaded a file to my directory. I went to that directory and clicked on the file and km shut down and real audio started up and started playing. Shouldn't it play with the browser still open?

Date: January 14, 2002 11:01AM

Timoch,

It should play with KM still open. Maybe you should open your prefs.js from K-Meleon (Edit - Preferences) and see that the line is not broken (by pasting it could have well happened - the line must remain on one line!). It is probably better to use the line in post 2 here (not in post 1). I think there's also a chance that the line

user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, application/vnd.rn-realmedia");

works better but, again, it should not be broken (this is for three real mime types).

If it still does not work, maybe it depends on which version of Real Player you have (I have Real Player 8 basic build 6.0.9.584 - I think if yours is older, you could install a newer version?). I tested my configuration at http://www.garbage.com at the videos section and it worked there 100%. Also worked on my other computer.

When a real stream link is pressed, K-M first downloads the small address file and then that file is opened with RealPlayer automatically. RealPlayer opens upon K-Meleon, buffers a little and then starts playing. It does not close K-Meleon.

Date: January 15, 2002 04:30AM

Andres,
I was wrong about real shutting off km, I had forgotten that I had minimized km so that I could open Mypowerdesk so that I could click on the real icon that I had downloaded when I clicked on the real button on wksu.org.
I tried the last script that you gave and cut and pasted it into the pref.js file. When I went to wksu.org and clicked on one of the real buttons, the download box came up, so I downloaded it to mymusic folder. I waited for a while, and nothing happened, so I had to go into the music folder and click on the real icon, then it started streaming. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Bytheway, I have the same version of realaudio that you do.

Date: January 15, 2002 11:32AM

No, Real Player should start playing all by itself and K-Meleon should not even ask you about the download folder (actually you may have to add the default download folder into prefs.js with the following lines:

user_pref("kmeleon.general.CloseDownloadDialog", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.general.saveDir", "C:\\xxx\");

where xxx is your default download path).

The whole scheme should definitely work (as a normal plugin).

Date: January 15, 2002 11:59AM

Has anyone else tried this? Has there been any more success (or did it work only for me and Bernard)?

Date: January 15, 2002 05:52PM

Andres,

Just to confirm, I have the two lines referenced in your previous post in my prefs.js also.

For those who want to see the dialog box set: user_pref("kmeleon.general.CloseDownloadDialog", false);.

The dialog box can be closed manually. This doen't prevent the realplayer from starting automatically.

Bernard

Date: January 16, 2002 04:55AM

I copied and pasted the line you suggested into the prefs.js but it did not work. When
I click on a link to play either WMP or Real Player a download box comes up showing a file relating to link,I click on save and the box disappears and nothing happens,if I go back to the link and click on it again the box comes up and displays the saved file in the body of the box with an Icon of the relative player, Real Player etc.
right clicking on the file gives you the option of opening it with the relative Player and it
plays. works for WMP,Real One Player and Winamp.
I am not prepared to go through this exercise everytime I need to use these Plug-ins.

I will continue to use K-Meleon occasionally and hope it will improve with time.
I am currently using IE6 and Opera 6 and have none of the above problems with either of them.Don't get me wrong,I think K-Meleon is a good little Browser with the potential of becoming a great little Browser,unfortunitely ,I don't have the time or knowledge to get involved.

Posted by: Sesh
Date: January 16, 2002 06:09AM

Hi,
It worked for me with out a downloadbox, please check your pref.js file again. When I added the lines at the top the pref.js file is neglecting it, try to add it at the end of the pref.js file.

Posted by: Sesh
Date: January 16, 2002 06:44AM

Hi,
It doesn't matter where your add in the pref.js, but make sure that you have "kmeleon.general.saveDir" set. If I don't set this property correctly, my pref.js is removing my other line regarding "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile".

Please check if this is the case.

Date: January 16, 2002 09:54AM

Andrew,

I installed realplayer/realjukebox separately.
In Windows the rxx, rmx etc extensions refer to some realplayer product.
The wmx extensions to the Windows Media Player product.

With this setup and the addition of the suggested lines in the prefs.js file (which you can do from within KM by selecting edit|preferences|configs|prefs) clicking on a realmedia element on a web page starts realplayer.
Are you sure the lines added are really there?

When I rightclick on a rm file, and select open with, I have the choice to open with realplayer and with KM. (humm KM very funny)

Are you sure your Windows (supposing you use this) setup for file extensions is correct?

Bernard

Date: January 16, 2002 12:11PM

I have done some more experimenting. Indeed, the lines

user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio");
user_pref("kmeleon.general.CloseDownloadDialog", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.general.saveDir", "C:\\xxx\");

should be present in prefs.js for good functioning. In addition, the Open action for realmedia files in Windows should be

"C:\Program Files\RealPlayer\realplay.exe" /m audio/x-pn-realaudio %1

(you can check that in Start - Settings - Folder Options - File Types) but that is probably fixed already by RealPlayer installation.

Embedded *.ram should work in K-Meleon, too (that can be tested at http://www.bbc.co.uk (audio and video section).

For *.rpm to function you should have the Netscape plugin files nppl3260.dll and nppl3260.xpt in your K-Meleon\Plugins directory. Unless you have Netscape installed, you can get those files only by "stealing" them from C:\Windows\Temp during Real Player installation.

However, if these conditions are fulfilled (in most of the cases, however, you won't need to have the nppl* files), RealPlayer seems to work in K-Meleon flawlessly, so it is possible after all!

Date: January 16, 2002 03:32PM

Hello Bernard;

Yes I do get the option to open with Real Player or KM but if I select KM I get a blank
page with the word "ready" in the status Bar but nothing else.I will fiddle around with it a bit more this weekend using all your abovementioned suggestions and let you know the result.Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Date: January 16, 2002 11:48PM

Just for information.

I can confirm I don't have the nppl*.* files in KM's plugin directory and real audio is working fine as described by Andres.

About:plugins don't reference a realaudio plugin neither.

Bernard

Date: January 17, 2002 05:08AM

I pasted all the lines that you should be in the pref.js file using note pad, clicked yes to save, closed km. I restarted km, and looked in the pref.js file, and the lines that I pasted were not there. I did this three times, they were not saved. What gives?

Date: January 17, 2002 05:40AM

Hi Timoch; that is exactly what happened to Me as well,there must be a simpler way to get these Plug-ins to work.

Date: January 17, 2002 11:10AM

Timoch and Andrew,

Make sure that K-Meleon is not running (close K-Meleon, exit Loader if you have it running) BEFORE you edit prefs.js. Currently, changes to prefs.js are not properly being written to K-Meleon if you edit prefs.js through the browser. You'll have to open prefs.js in Notepad or some other text editor outside of K-Meleon. You can find it by browsing here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\

We're working on making plugin management better. However, the plugin players themselves need to work to make their products more compatible with browsers other than IE.

Andrew

Date: January 18, 2002 02:46AM

Andres and others,

Please review this new Doc and let me know if anything needs to be added or corrected:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/realaudio.php

Andrew

Posted by: Andres
Date: January 18, 2002 10:05AM

Well, it seems OK to me!

Date: January 18, 2002 11:50AM

Thank you.
Clear short instructions is what the people like, except that I didn't find the referenced garbage real audio files.
I was asked to download their specific player awaiting that support for Netscape was ready. (well netscape=mozilla=K-M)

Bernard

Date: January 18, 2002 12:06PM

At www.garbage.com, choose a bandwidth ("Enter Lo Bandwidth Site" will work for sure) and from there choose "Video" on the right; in the videos section, choose a "real" link to play a video. I could not guess that was hard to find. Maybe there should be an alternative testing site included then in the docs?

Date: January 18, 2002 12:41PM

Andres,

If someone has a good suggestion, I can change it. I just liked listening to Garbage while testing.
smiling smiley

Andrew

Date: January 18, 2002 04:36PM

It looks concise and well written; I'll give it a try.

I passed thru the DOS era using MACs, so " \ " usage is not something I'm well versed on. On your earlier posting <user_pref("kmeleon.general.saveDir", "C:\\xxx\");> I put in a \ after the entry for xxx. Every time I tried opening km, I got two error messages telling me that line was not correct followed several boxes saying "new plugin found". I finally looked the previous entries, in prefs .js I found presumeably the correct entry method, now I only occasionally get a "new plugin found" dialog box.

Date: January 18, 2002 05:20PM

Timoch,

"xxx" just meant any path; you must enter an actually existing directory there.

Date: January 18, 2002 06:21PM

Andres,

Sorry for the confusion.
I followed the radio link and got lost with that special player.
As per your post, I followed the video link now, and got indeed the options to choose realplayer (a nice 273 kbps stream) and the different Windows Media player ones.

To Andrew,

Maybe give more precise info how to get to the video links.

Bernard

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.