General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: hint how to use realmedia direct from KM
Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 19, 2002 12:28AM

Tryng to get in garbage the Windows Media Player files working also with KM, I tried to modify the user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, application/vnd.rn-realmedia");
line to include wmp and asx streams, but I didn't succeed.

As a side effect, the realplayer stream don't work anymore as before.

I now get a save as box.
When I save the xxx.ram file I get another box asking if I want to open this file.
If I say yes, realplayer is started and the file played.

Checking for the WMP streams, this same scenario can be repeated and WMP is started and plays the stream.

Go figure now.

Also in my attempt to restore the three lines as per instructions from the doc/real player, the lines aren't sorted anymore.

Bernard

P.S. What is the character(s) to indicate a line is a comment, the # or the //

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 19, 2002 12:59AM

Well this thing beats me.

Whenever I put the line
user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, application/vnd.rn-realmedia");
It gets replaced by:
user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "application/x-ms-wms");

The only thing I did is to go to my favorite radio station, which has a realplayer stream.

Bernard

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 19, 2002 01:39AM

Anyone have a more direct link to test real media files?

Andrew

Date: January 19, 2002 01:39AM

Andres,

Did you e-mail me a how to on Windows Media Player at all? Or maybe post in a forum? I can work up a help page for that too.

Andrew

Posted by: Andres
Date: January 19, 2002 02:26AM

Andrew,
Yes I mailed a short description on installing the WMP plugin once but I did not have any notes about functioning. I took some time and made a brief summary of what I know. It's probably too long for posting, so I'll e-mail it to you smiling smiley I can say here that I am using WMP 6.01 and this works mostly fine with the plugin. There may be some problems with embedded WMP content but that's rare.

However, K-Meleon has a rendering problem with WMP (after launching WMP you have to press the back button once to get K-Meleon page working again). I'll mail you about the details, so you can maybe write something down for everybody.

Bernard,
At the Garbage site, both players should work with K-Meleon and there is no need to include WMP mime type in the "neverAsk.openFile" line. On my computer, the WMP plugin always opens the files by itself (wmp and asx streams should be opened automatically if the wmp plugin is installed).

I'm afraid that this line in prefs.js cannot be expanded to include just anything; it may be related with the Windows default Open action (and for realmedia content, the mime type is included there, but it's not included for wmp content). For example, you cannot make K-Meleon to open embedded bmp-s with, say, Irfan View by adding the bmp mime type in the "neverAsk.openFile" line (I tested that).

Posted by: Andres
Date: January 19, 2002 04:45AM

I tried to get some observations written down and mailed those to Andrew. If anybody's interested, my notes are also uploaded in zipped rtf at:

http://www.bahamapress.org/andres/wmp.zip

Date: January 19, 2002 08:44AM

Andres,

Thank you for the explanation.
In fact, that's what I was trying to do.
As I have no knowledge of the prefs.js statements, I try to see in the moz prefs.js for analogue statements.

Any way it's funny, that all of a sudden a statement like:
user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "application/x-ms-wms");
is generated automatically in KM's prefs.js file.

Bernard

Date: January 19, 2002 10:22AM

For Windows Media Player you can use http://www.q-music.be/windowsmedia/qahi.asx

For Real Player you can use http://www.4fm.be/streams/high.ram

Those are both Flemish radio stations, but for test purposes this is ok. Anyway, they don't talk too much.

Bernard

Date: January 19, 2002 07:02PM

I can't believe it ,I actually got RealPlayer and WMP to work in KM .Thanks Bernard and Andrew for your assistance. much appreciated.

Date: January 19, 2002 08:52PM

Sorry,I allmost forgot to thank Andres,thank you Andres,I followed your instructions and it works great.

Posted by: Timoch
Date: January 21, 2002 05:38AM

Andres, I followed your instructions, and Real audio is working like a charm; I'm listening to WKSU as I type.
Great job, and thanks for your patience.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.