General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Embedded mozilla
Posted by: bong
Date: January 16, 2002 05:12AM

I am a delphi coder and have installed the embed-win32.zip from mozilla. This included the mfcembed file from which kmeleon was based. My question is why is it that we need to build the whole mozilla in order to build kmeleon as stated in the instructions? I was able to build a working browser in delphi using the embedded files,so why not kmeleon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Embedded mozilla
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 16, 2002 11:16AM

I believe the reason that you need to build the whole Mozilla is that the source code for MFCEmbed is only available by building Mozilla from source. The files in embed-win32.zip are the compiled files for MFCEmbed, not the source. You need to the source code files to build K-Meleon. Plus, I believe that K-Meleon includes additional Mozilla files not included iin MFCEmbed.

Andrew

Posted by: bong
Date: January 20, 2002 05:40AM

I am sorry but I do not really understand this procedure. Why do I have to download the whole caboodle of mozilla which is 30mb + just to recode it for kmeleon? Yes km has additional files to make it different or better than mozilla. The way I see it is like this: I want to have a Ford compact car,but I have to buy a Ford Explorer first.

Posted by: sven
Date: January 20, 2002 07:54AM

Subscribe to dev-list: <a href="http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kmeleon-dev">http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kmeleon-dev</a>;, read the archives, ask developers directly, download the source, see if you can make it better, announce it and finally get it into KM release.

Much better/faster way to find out hows/whys/whats about inner workings of KM.

Makes sense, no?

Posted by: Myen
Date: January 20, 2002 10:08AM

If I understand it correctly...

The "embedded" mozilla is wrapping the mozilla engine into a seperate dll file (mozctlx.dll), which can be distributed and used without the full source; it is pretty much the same way you would use other controls such as the IE WebBrowser control.
K-Meleon, instead, takes the whole Mozilla engine and compiles it into K-Meleon itself (the .exe perhaps? I'm not sure where); this means that, to compile K-Meleon, you need the whole thing. While there is a down side - you need the whole source to compile - the upside is that more things can be customized.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.