General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
PAC file
Posted by: Scott
Date: January 17, 2002 02:48AM

Has anyone tried setting up a pac file in the Automatic Proxy Configuration? I can't seem to get it to work. I have locally on the machine I use for IE, but I can't get K-m to connect using it.

file:\\c:\My Documents\proxy.pac - This is the correct format for K-m?

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PAC file
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 17, 2002 03:12AM
Date: January 17, 2002 11:41PM

I've already copied these files, and still can't get it to work.

Scott

Date: January 18, 2002 12:58AM

I just tried in Netscape 6.2.1, but can't get it to work there either. Could it be a Mozilla issue?

Scott

Date: January 18, 2002 01:36AM

Scott,

Maybe. If it doesn't work in Mozilla, it usuallly points to a problem there and not in K-Meleon.

What browser can you get it to work in?

Andrew

Date: January 18, 2002 02:22AM

I've only been using it with IE. I tried with Opera, but it complained too much, and I later found out that pac files were only partially supported at the time (may have changed by now). It was primarily written for Netscape though. I even tried uploading it to a web server to see if it was an issue with the file:// url... doesn't seem to be. I've been using the one found here. http://www.pacificnet.net/~bbruce/netscape_pacfile.htm.
I modified it a bit, but nothing terrible.

Wow - is there a problem with the form, or is K-m not painting it right? The text disappearing. Hope it posts right.

Scott

Date: January 18, 2002 02:51AM

Scott,

Try this:

1. Close K-Meleon.

2. Browse here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\

Delete the file "component.reg"

3. Browse here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\components\

Delete these files: "xpti.dat" and "xptitemp.dat"

4. Restart K-Meleon and try again.

What we are doing is deleting the files that regfister various components in K-Meleon. There files will be re-created when you start K-Meleon and should then allow the files necessary to enable the autoproxy to work to be recognized by the browser.

5. If you still can't get it to work, follow steps 1 - 4 again and then browse here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\chrome\

and delete all of the ".rdf" files listed there. Restart K-Meleon and test your proxy configuration again.

Let me know how that goes.

Andrew

Date: January 19, 2002 12:02AM

Still no go. With one version of my pac file, it won't load any pages at all. With the version of the file right off the site (no modificatoins), it appears to completely ignore the file and connect anyway. It must be a mozilla issue. It works with Netscape 4.7, but I get the same with Netscape 6.2.1 as K-m. I don't have Mozilla installed, but the new version of Netscape should be a fair indication of how Mozilla would react... I think.

Thanks for trying though.

Scott

Date: January 21, 2002 03:27PM

Scott,

If it doesn't work in Mozilla either, it probably is a Mozilla issue.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.