General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bookmarks => externalize
Posted by: rick
Date: January 17, 2002 05:53PM

If you are anticipating ever changing browsers, consider the issue of bookmarks:
- There are at least 4 reasonably well-known formats (IE, Netscape 3, Netscape 4 or later, and Opera). Each new browser coming along will probably invent their own (e.g. K-M).
- None of the formats are remotely compatible - you will need a conversion tool of some sort.
- If you later change browsers again, you will need to re-convert formats, and then keep multiple bookmark formats synchronized - a real PIA.

So, my suggestion is this - externalize your Bookmark function, and ignore the specifics of your browser entirely - make bookmark management and use a separate function.

I recommend either gul (freeware) or Compass (shareware). Both are capable of handling the three major formats, and can convert and synchronize bookmarks among the major formats, but once you are using an external package, you probably won't ever need to do so again.

I simply keep gul open on my desktop all the time, and never use K-M or any other browser-specific bookmarks at all. If you wish to change browsers, it is easy to reset your default, or in some cases, if you have a browser window open, it will automatically get the open request from the external bookmark program.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks => externalize
Posted by: Deft
Date: January 17, 2002 07:32PM

Erm, k-meleon's bookmarks are not attached, they're through a plugin. There're plugins for IE and Netscape bookmarks, so you can use either.

Therefore, km won't be starting it's own format...

Posted by: po
Date: January 17, 2002 09:26PM

well, actually, in theory, i think it would be perfectly feasible for someone to write a k-meleon plugin to utilize it's own native format... the odds of anyone writing one any time soon aren't all that great, though... smiling smiley

Posted by: Mark
Date: January 17, 2002 10:02PM

Actually, po, I've thought about doing just that. It wouldn't be too hard. But I don't see much reason to do so. The other formats work perfectly well, no? The ns_bookmarks plugin uses the Netscape format, and it works well (or the next version should, anyway).

Posted by: po
Date: January 18, 2002 02:35AM

well, i've only ever used the IE format, not having a mozilla background... there are a few minor advantages to each, i suppose: easy to move individual files around vs. versatility of HTML pages, etc... but it's not a big deal to me - i'll probably just adapt to whatever ends up working the best in k-meleon. i just figured if someone had some great idea for some Ultimate Bookmark Format some day, they'd implement it... but it beats me what it would consist of. smiling smiley

Ultimate bookmark format not IE
Posted by: rick
Date: January 18, 2002 04:28PM

Well, it probably wouldn't use the file system as a database, i.e. IE's separate files...
;^)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.