General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Controlling cookies.txt content
Posted by: Polo
Date: January 17, 2002 11:40PM

I have some advert/junk entries in my cookies.txt file. How can you keep it absent of junk but still use it to keep track of useful sites such as new messages on this board? I believe you can make it read-only and deselect/select this and control it this way? Anything else?

IE I think has each entry as a separate .txt file so it's easier to simply delete .txt for junky sites.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Controlling cookies.txt content
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 21, 2002 02:58AM

Yes, you can carefully weed out your bad cookies and make the file read-only, works like a charm. You do have to make it vulnerable again when you add another forum or whatever to your sites-that-remember-me collection... and that means weeding again ;-( .
I remember those nice little separate Idiot Exploder cookies - I also remember the bad attitude Winwoes has about lts precioussss system folders. Tradeoffs.
Make a backup of your cookies.txt before you operate on it, so you don't lose the good ones if the patient dies ;]

Posted by: po
Date: January 21, 2002 03:30AM

hmm. i find that making the file read-only keeps me from being able to track new posts on this forum... but if you only need static cookies, that works fine.

when editing the file, just be sure to keep a linefeed character between each seperate cookie (and two prior to the first one) and you'll be fine. smiling smiley

Date: January 22, 2002 03:58AM

My forum post tracking seems to work fine with R-O cookies, but it took a little practice and maybe luck smiling smiley

Date: January 22, 2002 05:08AM

well, with all the practice i could afford, and all the luck i had in my pocket, my experience was that this will only work for as long as k-meleon is in memory, by virtue of the fact that the cookies are actually still being recieved and stored, just not written to the file on disk. everything is gone with the next start-up.

and that's no fun.

Date: January 23, 2002 01:30AM

Sorry you're not having fun, dear.

Date: January 28, 2002 04:56AM

oh, i'm having a grand ol' time now. winking smiley

i found a nice little notepad replacement called <a href=http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/">win32pad</a> that does a very nice job of auto-detecting the unix-style end-of-line characters in the cookies and login info files, making them a whole lot easier to edit. and it's actually *smaller* than notepad... i just transplanted it into the appropriate directory with the appropriate new name, and it works like a charm. for anyone who's interested. viva.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.